Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[REQUEST] 2 x Dedicated server + cross connect - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[REQUEST] 2 x Dedicated server + cross connect

2»

Comments

• @AnthonySmith - its this server:

http://www.delimitervps.com/landingpage/blades/?p=X515016500&l=Atlanta

So it comes with:

4 Cores - 2 x Xeon X5150
    16GB RAM
    500GB Disk
    5000GB Bandwidth
    1 IPv4 IP Address
    /64 IPv6 Subnet
    Gigabit Port
    Hardware RAID controller
    Dedicated IP-KVM (HP ILO)
    Dedicated Power control
    No charge instant OS reloads
    Wide choice of OS
    Custom ISO install via vMedia

VLAN is for the secondary ethernet to give you a private network on eth1.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@MarkTurner I don't want a private VLAN I want a cross connect between servers, is that a problem?

• @AnthonySmith - not possible. We only have 10GE ports on our blade servers, the cost to allocate a dedicated 10GE port would be way more than the cost of the server.

@MarkTurner said:
    AnthonySmith - not possible. We only have 10GE ports on our blade servers, the cost to allocate a dedicated 10GE port would be way more than the cost of the server.

Shame, I did specify that as a requirement.

• @AnthonySmith - a piece of cable or a dedicated VLAN - there is no difference unless you want to use the link state to signal morse code between the units.

@MarkTurner I am looking for as near 0 latency as possible with redundancy from a failed switch or in this case blade chassis, perhaps a blade solution is not the right one for this.

• For almost zero latency - then use Infiniband for the cross-connect

• pcanpcan Member

@AnthonySmith said: perhaps a blade solution is not the right one for this.

A proper blade enclousure has better redundancy than a regular server (usually 6 PSU vs 2; internal ethernet fabric is redundant; the backplane is redundant too). It is more geared towards a high availability solution and (usually) has some fast interconnect such as infiniband.

Multiple blade faults can be triggered by relatively rare issues: PDUs or environement/rack failures; a botched enclousure firmware upgrade (it may force to execute a restart to regain management functions). For a high availability solution, I rather choose a blade than a rack server (at equal conditions).

• AnthonySmith said: failed switch

You have bigger problems when both servers are using the same switch for the public network. Switch failure, both servers are not available and only internal network works.

You should extend your requirements with a fully redundant network for the public NIC also.