Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server to compile Android ROMS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server to compile Android ROMS

2»

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited June 2014

@MSPNick said:

MSP's massive image.

Nice low end pricing - read the rules.

• Doesn't sound like you really need a traditional dedicated that is on 24/7/365. Would a more "cloud" based solution like Amazon EC2 or similar work? Start it up, do the compile, move the resulting code and then shut down. Only have it active while you are actually building code?

If you want to distribute place the results on a normal low end box, just don't compile there.

• cleonardcleonard Member
    edited June 2014
    • duplicate *
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Yeah why own an oven when you can rent one, to use only when you need to cook. Think of all the savings!
    Seriously speaking though, all those "cloud based solutions" only make you think you're saving money, but in reality they are likely to cost you much more.

• To take that another step, why not just compile on your own box?

I do agree that if you are running 24/7 then the cloud based solutions are more expensive. They tend to do better if it's something that you only use when you actually need it and that need is perhaps tens of hours a month.

• c0yc0y Member

cleonard said: Doesn't sound like you really need a traditional dedicated that is on 24/7/365. Would a more "cloud" based solution like Amazon EC2 or similar work? Start it up, do the compile, move the resulting code and then shut down. Only have it active while you are actually building code?

If you want to distribute place the results on a normal low end box, just don't compile there.

Obviously you'll get throttled down and will have to pay a shit ton more for a CPU intensive instance. Cloud servers are never cheaper for heavy computation...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2014

It depends how often it is needed, if one day or two a month, definitely a cloud instance will be cheaper, if 15 days out of 30, a dedi will surely be cheaper, however, 8 threads of a couple of 2630 CPU are likely to finish the job very fast, in a couple of hours, with 100 GB primary storage that you can snapshot and put make a template of and 400 GB low cost storage it will cost you 0.078 Eur an hour, the 100 GB made into a template will cost 3.6 Eur a month and will be there to be deployed in a few minutes if needed. So, 100 hours of work a month needed (say 30+ compilations to be on the safe side), will be like 11 Eur with iwstack.
    It is not that hard to save if you know how to use a cloud. Of course, given that all costs are clearly known beforehand.

• @AndroidNoob69 - Delimiter Dual X5150, 16GB RAM, 500GB disk $20/month (paid quarterly). We have many customers using these for ROM compiling.

It may not be the fastest dedicated server on the planet but its 100% your resources and you won't be getting hassle for saturating a shared CPU

Thanked by 2netomx AndroidNoob69
  • @MarkTurner said:
    AndroidNoob69 - Delimiter Dual X5150, 16GB RAM, 500GB disk $20/month (paid quarterly). We have many customers using these for ROM compiling.

It may not be the fastest dedicated server on the planet but its 100% your resources and you won't be getting hassle for saturating a shared CPU

I am not good at reading benchmarks so is a benchmark score of 3506 good? If it is average then i would go with it.....

• for that price point it is good. If you can fork out $30+ ~$40 then take the dual L5420

Thanked by 1AndroidNoob69
  • @Maounique said:
    It depends how often it is needed, if one day or two a month, definitely a cloud instance will be cheaper, if 15 days out of 30, a dedi will surely be cheaper, however, 8 threads of a couple of 2630 CPU are likely to finish the job very fast, in a couple of hours, with 100 GB primary storage that you can snapshot and put make a template of and 400 GB low cost storage it will cost you 0.078 Eur an hour, the 100 GB made into a template will cost 3.6 Eur a month and will be there to be deployed in a few minutes if needed. So, 100 hours of work a month needed (say 30+ compilations to be on the safe side), will be like 11 Eur with iwstack.
    It is not that hard to save if you know how to use a cloud. Of course, given that all costs are clearly known beforehand.

Um i think i need a debian/ubuntu console to compile...

• @AndroidNoob69 - the X5150 the latest and greatest unit, its an old processor but its 100% yours. You get 4 cores (2 x dual core) so how you go. If you need more juice then use the L5420 as @wcypierre mentioned. Its a little more expensive.

But I think the X5150 will do you fine, we have many customers compiling ROMs on these systems.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

AndroidNoob69 said: Um i think i need a debian/ubuntu console to compile...

You can install from any ISO you wish, we have templates but might not be the right ones for you.

• Ok guys: Most likely I would go with @MarkTuner's offer. Any critics on the service provided by Delimiter? Most importantly i would like to know reviews the customer support :)

• @AndroidNoob69 - one thing you'll find with Delimiter - sentiments are completely polarised. One person loves them, one person hates them. There is no middle ground.

FYI their boxes are unmanaged so there is no any 'support' per-se, its just hardware/network support.

• @MarkTurner said:
    AndroidNoob69 - one thing you'll find with Delimiter - sentiments are completely polarised. One person loves them, one person hates them. There is no middle ground.

FYI their boxes are unmanaged so there is no any 'support' per-se, its just hardware/network support.

Uhh i meant support tickets there isint any? Just playing safe incase anything crops up out of my control.

• @AndroidNoob69 said:
    Uhh i meant support tickets there isint any? Just playing safe incase anything crops up out of my control.

There's a ticket system for hardware and network issues. Response times can be anywhere from 5 minutes to 12 hours in my experience (to be fair the 12 hour wait was on a Sunday, when ipmi broke.)

I'd say the support overall is good for the price point.