Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a cheap vps in europe for vpn purpose.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a cheap vps in europe for vpn purpose.

kanakana Member
edited June 2014 in Requests

Hello,

My friend just went to China for a two-month vacation and just get a issue of high latency to Europe. So a vpn is needed for him to improve latency, personally i prefer a tiny vps for him, any recommendations please? Also have a test ip would be better :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Since when does a VPN reduce latency?

Thanked by 1Cakey
  • kanakana Member

@joodle said:
    Since when does a VPN reduce latency?

Honestly, its for gaming and game server is located in Luxemburg, so a Europe vps is needed but not sure about which one would have a great connection speed to China. :S

• Our offer here is suitable. Tun/Tap can be enabled from control panel. Test IP in the link

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/29179/freeweb-ie-512mb-openvz-500mbits-uplink-100tb-b-w-anti-ddos-pro-protected-4-p-m

thanks
    Paul

• nerouxneroux Member

You can always check out Edis and their budget line Waveride.

However a VPN wouldnt reduce the overall latency. The latency to the VPS might be better, but the connection to China wouldnt change (assuming it is a general problem with European connections).

• kanakana Member

@freewebie said:
    Our offer here is suitable. Tun/Tap can be enabled from control panel. Test IP in the link

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/29179/freeweb-ie-512mb-openvz-500mbits-uplink-100tb-b-w-anti-ddos-pro-protected-4-p-m

thanks
    Paul

Thanks for replying :)

Unfortunately, my friend just tested the latency to your test ip, it was even worse than directly connect to game server :/

• wychwych Member

@kana said:
    Unfortunately, my friend just tested the latency to your test ip, it was even worse than directly connect to game server :/

You do understand how latency works right?

• RamNode NL?

• kanakana Member

@wych said:
    You do understand how latency works right?

Yeah :Ð

• georgegeorge Member

@joodle said:
    Since when does a VPN reduce latency?

VPN can "slightly" improve your latency in rare cases.

• wychwych Member

@george said:

In very low chance circumstances yes.

• kanakana Member

@george said:

I used wrong word, sorry :(

• @kana said:

Can you post a traceroute? Cant think its anything to do with my server or network. Any latency issues are more likely to be from your end to the Internet backbone.

• kanakana Member

@freewebie said:
    Can you post a traceroute? Cant think its anything to do with my server or network. Any latency issues are more likely to be from your end to the Internet backbone.

Network construction in China is complicated and retarded, its the issue of my friend's connection. Anyway, thanks :) And here is the traceroute from my friend.

• J1021J1021 Member

kana said: Network construction in China is complicated and retarded, its the issue of my friend's connection. Anyway, thanks :) And here is the traceroute from my friend.

Fixed that for you.

Thanked by 1kana
  • kanakana Member

@freewebie said:

http://cdn.kanachan.me.uk/traceroute.jpg

seems the picture doesn't show up in the previous comment :/

• kanakana Member

@1e10 said:
    Fixed that for you.

Thanks! :Ð

• freewebiefreewebie Member
    edited June 2014

Thanks for that. Looks like you are going to have the same issue with any European provider.

• You can try US west location vps which have good ping either to EU or asian.

• RamNode has a Netherlands server location.

Thanked by 1kana
  • If your friend your friend use china telecom's broadband,edis 's DE location would be the first choice

Thanked by 1kana
  • kanakana Member

@challengeke said:
    You can try US west location vps which have good ping either to EU or asian.

Thanks for advice. According to my previous test, connect to europe through US could get a higher latency than direct connection. :(

• nerouxneroux Member

@kana said:
    Thanks for advice. According to my previous test, connect to europe through US could get a higher latency than direct connection. :(

Why did you think a an additional VPN hop would actually decrease latency in the first place?

• @kana What is your average ping? Ping to London is good but Form London to Luxemburg is bad. Form my VPS in London I get 4 ms. You can try some VPS locations on the route from China to Luxemburg or even a VPS in Singapore or India or Italy but you will not get <220 ms. You can't cheat the speed of light.

• The trace looks like it is going directly to London first and then to your European server, any other route will make this worse, like going through US route. look for London providers and ping each company test IP, which should be between 210 to 240ms then add 20 to 25ms to your server, a bit possible to cut 30ms to 50ms off with vps/vpn in London. It seems like you already have a good route to your game server from this trace.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

slicebox said: which should be between 210 to 240ms

I've never seen an Europe location less than 260ms to China...

• kanakana Member

@Jylee said:
    I've never seen an Europe location less than 260ms to China...

Finally, i purchased a vps located in the Germany from Vultr and my friend getting only 220ms to Luxembourg now. :)

• nerouxneroux Member

@kana said:
    Finally, i purchased a vps located in the Germany from Vultr and my friend getting only 220ms to Luxembourg now. :)

How much was the initial latency to Luxembourg and how much is the current one to the VPS?