Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

any free or lowend cdn recommend?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

any free or lowend cdn recommend?

i want to opimize my wp site performance,and hear that cdn can boost the loading speed,i tried cloudflare,any other good recommendations?thanks

Comments

• namhuynamhuy Member

keycdn, cdn77, jodihost, cdnsun

• Try disabling unneeded plugins, and try php-apc or another opcode cache for PHP. Load times and request handling can be improved by a factor of 4 or more just by tweaking the server. Cloudflare won't help if it takes them time to get a response back for all the dynamic pages. Also, default Cloudflare settings are not the best for a purely PHP/Dynamic site.

• There are alternatives but you won't do much better than CloudFlare - for free at least.

• @cncking2000 said:
    Try disabling unneeded plugins, and try php-apc or another opcode cache for PHP. Load times and request handling can be improved by a factor of 4 or more just by tweaking the server. Cloudflare won't help if it takes them time to get a response back for all the dynamic pages. Also, default Cloudflare settings are not the best for a purely PHP/Dynamic site.

how to tweek the server?could you explain how to?thanks

• Keycdn is what i use. Only problem is they arent duel stack,. But i emailed them last night asking about it and they said it should be done in the next few months

• @wlcy001 said: how to tweek the server?could you explain how to?thanks

There are many different options available, to be able to walk you through a few of the more common options, It would be helpful for the board to know more information about what is hosting your WP blog right now.

• @cncking2000 said:

Select CDN + Full Optimize in Cloudflare settings, While you're there hit the preformance tab under Auto Minify Select JS CSS and HTML

• KeyCDN, CDN77, MaxCDN, AWS CloudFront

• khavkhav Member

1.Check your site with [pagespeed ] (https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/) and apply the suggestions.You may need to optimise html/css for this part

2.Use spdy if your wordpress blog uses SSL
    3.Disable unnecessary plugins ( Try to use plugins that have multiple features )
    4.If you are using apache , move to nginx+PHP-FPM

In case you see that even after performing all the suggestions listed above , your site is still slow then use a cdn.

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited June 2014

Everyone saying cdn77, must realise that even though the usage is cheap, you must deposit ~ $100 credit to your account, which also expires in one year.

• johnlth93johnlth93 Member
    edited June 2014

used cloudfront back then, not bad

• @cncking2000 said:
    Try disabling unneeded plugins, and try php-apc or another opcode cache for PHP. Load times and request handling can be improved by a factor of 4 or more just by tweaking the server. Cloudflare won't help if it takes them time to get a response back for all the dynamic pages. Also, default Cloudflare settings are not the best for a purely PHP/Dynamic site. "

Why not? We don't impact dynamic content by default, but you could extend the caching capabilities beyond static content using PageRules.

• @damoncloudflare - I was referring to actual page rendering and loading times. Testing from all 3 locations Pingdom has available, CF loading times are over 1.3 seconds, whereas direct to the server, even over the pond, loading times were 1.15s max. That to me shows that while CF is indeed fast, (.15ms+) Introducing cloudflare for me wouldn't be necessary, as the short url site I am managing can manage 8,000 concurrent on blitz.io without falling over, all on a couple servers with response times under a second. Do you cache 302 redirects if cache headers are set correctly?

I guess what I am saying, is if the source web server takes 5 seconds to process each dynamic page, cloudflare isn't going to help make it load any quicker, unless you cache the dynamic pages to bring your server load down, which some do not implement this caching correctly. However, The amount of spam posts from a few forums have dropped significantly, thanks to CloudFlare's protection :)

• ironhideironhide Member
    edited June 2014

You can use FrontRangeHosting's OnApp powered CDN. They have like 108 pops around the world including Asia. And they require you to deposit only $5 to start. Their bandwidth price is also a LOT cheaper than others. I have been using them for last 6 months and I am very very happy.

https://www.frontrangehosting.com/hb/index.php/cart/content-delivery-network/

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • CloudFlare isn't bad, especially when it's free, but no one's mentioned CDNify (place where I work), so I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Cost: $10
    Data: 150gb/m
    POPs: 18 in USA, Europe, and Asia

Use promo code "AWESOMESPEED20" to get 20% off for the first month.

Thanked by 1Faizi
  • If you are using Apache, don't change to nginx. I'm using apache2 for my websites with gzip compression (9) and pagespeed/other modules enabled (unneeded disabled) and it's pretty pretty fast (even without CDN).

• @JamieAshbrook chance for a special plan? $10 a bit too much.

• @drazilox $10/m with a reoccurring discount of 20% for life ok with you? So that's $8/m :) - Plus it will help anyone in here, like @wlcy001, who are looking for an affordable CDN.

• utamautama Member

Incapsula is good too, their analytics is better than CloudFlare in visualization. I like the source traffic blocker too, in CloudFlare you can only block from IP or Country. But in Incapsula you can block referring domains/url too, I block many link shortener url to my website (linkbucks/adfly/adfocus).

I like to try new service like Incapsula/CloudFlare and if it possible get a sponsored account. :D

• @JamieAshbrook with 10 sites, yeah that would. Will keep in mind.

• FaiziFaizi Member

The purpose of using CDN is to reduce your website loading time for visitors around the world. If you are just targeting one region, and your server is in that region, then there's little CDN could do in term of loading time.

However if you are targetting visitors globally, then CDN would matter.

For example ping your website at http://cloudmonitor.ca.com/en/ping.php without Cloudflare, then test again with Cloudflare active, you'll notice a lot of improvement.

Cloudflare could be made to cache everthing on your website with simple page rules.

Another free alternatives to Cloudflare is Incapsula, and Wordpress own service, WP Photon(images only).

One of our LET provider, SEFlow is also offering CDN services, pay per usage and their prices are really cheap.

• @drazilox Use discount code LOWENDTALKCDN20 on checkout to get 20% off for life.

• you may still be able to do more on your end as well. this is a pretty good read:
    http://ewan.im/900/10-million-hits-a-day-with-wordpress-using-a-15-server

Thanked by 1geekalot