Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress question

I have followed the tutorial here as well as many other sources but when I am trying to set up wordpress on a vps I run across the same problem every time which is email. No matter what plugin I use I do not get email to send from my WordPress sites. Is there something else I need to do on my server that is not in the tutorial on LET? Thanks

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

What MTA have you installed on the VPS?

If you are not sure what that means that is your problem, i.e. postfix or sendmail, you need something to actually send emails, a lot of the tuts miss that part out as 'assumed knowledge'

Ant.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited June 2014

The email is probably in your spam folder. That's where they end up usually. You have to set rdns, spf, and dkim before you can get them to show up in inboxes. Just recover it from your spam box and add the email address to your contacts. This should whitelist it in your account.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

apt-get install send mail or yum install send mail or configure pop / SMTP inside of WordPress mate.

• I will try sendmail asap

• Just in case your provider blocked smtp port, try this plugin : WP-Mail-SMTP

• You can also try using a SMTP service like SendGrid or Mailchimp on their free or $1/pre-paid plan. That way you know your emails are getting to their destination 100% of the time.

• https://wordpress.org/plugins/wpmandrill/ + https://mandrill.com/pricing/

=

12k emails/mo on the free plan. Works great and nothing will end up in spam folders.

• Ok thank you everyone for the help one last question as I am learning. Even if I choose a control panel such as kloxomr,vesta, or heaven forbid zpanel do I still need to setup sendmail or postfix? Thanks

• namhuynamhuy Member

yes you will need to install and config mail services

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Cpanel kinda does it for you but you have to pick which one you want to use.

• Kloxo-MR (also Kloxo official) including qmail sd mail server.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

There shouldn't be a need for a panel if you are only hosting one website.

If you still have problems sending email, have a look here on how to configure A send only smtp service.
    http://www.lowendguide.com/3/email/low-memory-usage-smtp-send-only/

• @mustafaramadhan I have tried several times to install Kloxo-Mr but it fails on multiple servers when I try to get the install
    @MikHo I am trying to use the VPS for 3 sites.

• @thedarkfox have a look at ispconfig 3 free and sets everything up for you. just follow the tutorials from howtoforge.com

• @thedarkfox VestaCP does everything for you. You simply need to make sure DNS for your domain is setup properly (eg. SPF - TXT Record).

• @thedarkfox said:
    mustafaramadhan I have tried several times to install Kloxo-Mr but it fails on multiple servers when I try to get the install
    MikHo I am trying to use the VPS for 3 sites.

There are something wrong if install in OpenVZ with RAM less then 1GB. No problem with Xen/KVM with 128MB RAM.

For installing, jusr follow step B.1.2 OR B.2 in https://github.com/mustafaramadhan/kloxo/blob/dev/how-to-install.txt

NOTE: better submit your issue in forum.mratwork.com

• Finally installed Kloxo MR but phpmyadmin doesn't work which I need for wordpress, checked at the forum did not find a solution.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited June 2014

thedarkfox said: Finally installed Kloxo MR but phpmyadmin doesn't work which I need for wordpress.

Why do you need phpMyAdmin? All Wordpress setup needs is a empty database, so create one!

• DB Name: wordpress
    • DB User: thedarkfox
    • DB Pass: mypassword
    [root@vps] mysql -u root -p
    Enter password: (enter your root mysql password)

mysql> CREATE USER 'thedarkfox'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'mypassword';
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> CREATE DATABASE wordpress;
    Query OK, 1 row affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON wordpress.* TO 'thedarkfox'@'localhost';
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> quit
    Bye
    [root@vps] 

• I didn't understand for 'phpmyadmin doesn't work which I need for wordpres'.

If not able access to phpmyadmin, try change root password via 'mysql password reset' in panel. If install Kloxo-MR 6.5.0, downgrade phpmyadmin with 'yum downgrade kloxomr-thirdparty-phpmyadmin'.

Don't create mysql database via SSH directly but via 'mysql databases' in panel.

• mustafaramadhan said: Don't create mysql database via SSH directly but via 'mysql databases' in panel.

All web-based control panels / admin scripts are potential security risks. And, if the objective is to host a Wordpress site, they are unnecessary.

A new user setting out to host a website on a VPS is well-advised (IMHO) to learn some basic command line tasks. Skip the control panels and eliminate those potential attack vectors. It simplifies maintenance and, over time, will make you a sysadmin instead of a button-clicker :)

Thanked by 1khav
  • @mustafaramadhan Ran the downgrade but still get error: PHP 5.3+ is required

• Try downgrade until you found phpmyadmin version 4.0.10 or update Kloxo-MR 6.5.0.f to 6.5.1.b.

• @Sleddog I agree and I am learning slowly, as they say it's hard to teach an old dog: ) I keep getting stuck on getting email to leave my server such as if I use outlook, and the importing mysql without phpmyadmin. That's why I have been stuck working with a control panel until I get good enough to figure those out. I stick with getting my own VPS because everyone I have tried for shared hosting has huge speed and downtime issues regardless of how big of a name they are, so I like having some control.

• thedarkfox said: everyone I have tried for shared hosting has huge speed and downtime issues regardless of how big of a name they are, so I like having some control.

There are some valid concerns about shared hosting and performance but with the biggest names downtime really isn't an issue. These are people who are hosting websites where people could be losing out on big money every second their website is down.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ