Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

suggestion for lightweight private forum with file upload
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

suggestion for lightweight private forum with file upload

jcalebjcaleb Member
edited May 2012 in Help

I want to use forum software for project management/collaboration of a small team of 5-10 people. Most are artist and non-technical, so I am thinking, forum is simple enough but just right to organize ideas and tasks.

I need something lightweight than can run ok with 256mb OVZ and compatible with nginx/php5-fpm. It also must not be viewable unless user logs in (not for public viewing). and also can have file upload capability, so that we can also share files, mostly pictures.

any suggestions? i am reading about punbb/fluxbb but i have not tried yet.

thanks in advance

Comments

• gianggiang Veteran

I'm using Esotalk, it's a better Vanilla Forums IMO :D

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • premisopremiso Member

You can always try a wordpress type forum: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mingle-forum/

You should be able to do the viewable part on your own with settings (IE mark as private) with any forum software. There is also vanilla forums (what they run here). Or if you want a real type of tracking system with a forum / wiki option Redmine is by far the best free out there. It just runs on Ruby, but you can set it up on a 256MB OVZ just fine (as long as you use unicorn instead of passenger).

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • If Vanilla, in it's vanilla form is anything like what we have here, I'd recommend against it.

Non-technical people can't be expected to use Markdown. BBCode is okay, Markdown is not.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2012

@Ellimist said: Non-technical people can't be expected to use Markdown. BBCode is okay, Markdown is not.

I can imagine the same was said about BBCode when it was first used.

EDIT: Also, Markdown is ridiculously simple.

• klikliklikli Member

PunBB in your case. The best part? You can use SQLite instead of running MySQL as database so you can squeeze your memory further.

Thanked by 3jcaleb nabo TheHackBox
  • EllimistEllimist Member
    edited May 2012

@joepie91 said: EDIT: Also, Markdown is ridiculously simple.

I know. In fact, ever since I have started using Jekyll, I have been feeling pretty much at home with Markdown.

Actually, it's not about the difficulty in using it. BBCode is much more widely used than Markdown. In fact, almost every forum script has built-in support for BBCode. Chances are, if you have used a forum before, you have used BBCode.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • edited May 2012

I agree with @klikli, punbb is the best for you, fluxbb developers are insane and add retarded features. They have nothing proprietary over punbb, just the name. Punbb also has an active development team and there community is more active then fluxbb. This is just advice though, you can do whatever the F*** you wanna do! ;) Good luck mate!

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

thanks all! i will try either mingle under wordpress, or punbb.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited May 2012

@Ellimist said: If Vanilla, in it's vanilla form is anything like what we have here, I'd recommend against it.

Non-technical people can't be expected to use Markdown. BBCode is okay, Markdown is not.

Also I'm not sure if Vanilla and similar forums are friendly with attachments.

I'd recommend in this case SMF for some reasons, like:

1- Free with similar look/capabilities to some paid forums
    2- It's support communities and addons etc
    3- Fast to install with features ready, and takes minimalist effort

MyBB is a good choice too IMO.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • I found this comparison table -- it's a little dated, but has a good overview.

http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comparator/fluxbb-vs-mybb-vs-punbb

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited May 2012

MyBB runs great on OpenVZ with 32mb ram and no vswap. (using MySQL for the database)

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

@dmmcintyre3 serious?

• @SpeakWhatsReal said: fluxbb developers are insane and add retarded features

Can you please provide examples of said insanity and retarded features?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@dmmcintyre3 i believe now. but dont know why there is "-/+ buffers/cache" as i only see those on xen, not ovz. would you be kind enough to share script/config on how you squeezed? thanks!

• @jcaleb said: @dmmcintyre3 i believe now. but dont know why there is "-/+ buffers/cache" as i only see those on xen, not ovz. would you be kind enough to share script/config on how you squeezed? thanks!

It's openvz with vswap support, and the usage will be higher if you run it on openvz without vswap support. I ran my nginx/php/mysql install script and then installed mybb and wordpress. More than 32mb ram is needed to do the installation.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • klikliklikli Member
    edited May 2012

@dmmcintyre3 said: MyBB runs great on OpenVZ with 32mb ram and no vswap. (using MySQL for the database)

Not their website.

curl -I mybb.com

HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily
    Server: nginx/1.0.14
    Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 02:29:18 GMT
    Content-Type: text/html
    Connection: keep-alive
    Content-Length: 154

They even have a "SiteLock" on their UGNazi.ru website:P

• @klikli looks like the domain was stolen: http://sprunge.us/gDcN

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • debugdebug Member
    edited May 2012

@dmmcintyre3 said: It's openvz with vswap support, and the usage will be higher if you run it on openvz without vswap support. I ran my nginx/php/mysql install script and then installed mybb and wordpress. More than 32mb ram is needed to do the installation.

Your script is giving a 404 error. Do you mean this?

http://freevps.us/thread-1434.html

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@dmmcintyre3 said: @klikli looks like the domain was stolen: http://sprunge.us/gDcN

not agaaaain!