Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB Performance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB Performance

I have over the last 12 months or see seen a fairly big divide from host to host in terms of performance.

For instance (using OpenVZ) performing a mysqldump, gzip, gunzip on large files blows out the CPU and disk io wait times on some hosts. On other hosts it barely has an impact.

I can only conclude that some LEB hosts oversell massively to remain competitive and this is where its easy to get stuck. Its very easy to peak CPU and disk IO on LEB hosts who oversell massively just be performing normal tasks. You then find that you have breached the hosts TOS and fair share usage
limits, getting suspended. If you have paid 1 year in advance it a major mess to get out of.

I find now I am consolidating my VPS to a few that I can trust, who have over time proven themselves to have decent hardware without overselling so that shmucks like me can run normal linux tasks without hitting bottlenecks.

Price is no longer the main criteria and I would be interested in other peoples views.

It also interesting to note the various benchmarks at serverbear.com.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

said: I find now I am consolidating my VPS to a few that I can trust

Part of the natural flow around here you will find. We all do this eventually.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It depends on brand. Here we have the budget brands (overzold/xenpower and soon kvmpower), where cpu is in few cores per gigabyte of ram (1-2) and going over 1 load per core is not allowed, through the pro plans (regular) where cpu is allocated much more liberally per gigabyte, there are 2 cores per 512 MB most of the times and going over tthe max of 1 per core load is acceptable for hours at t time, and ending with the Biz plans where the low density (16-32 GB ram per server) allow much better allocations of CPU and going over the maximum load is allowed for days and even a week.
    Expecting to make a profit mining on a budget plan is not realistic in my view, this is why we forbid mining altogether.

Thanked by 1jar
  • EDIS, the performance is great and they are extremely reputable.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

As a rule of thumb avoiding a provider that hosts with ColoCrossing is a great start. That will weed out about 75% of all the crap providers on here.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

shovenose said: As a rule of thumb avoiding a provider that hosts with ColoCrossing is a great start. That will weed out about 75% of all the crap providers on here.

I don't think DC has anything to do with CPU and disk io. Network speed for sure, DC is a big factor

Thanked by 2Dylan Mark_R
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@Jar said:
    Part of the natural flow around here you will find. We all do this eventually.

This! Personally I now only use RamNode, SecureDragon, CatalystHost, Hostigation, and Crissic, and would not even consider anything else.

Thanked by 1sirmbhe
  • kaflokaflo Member
    edited June 2014

In my experience, the only way to really know is to try companies for yourself. You can't absolutely rely on other people's recommendations. Other people's reviews are just a starting point.

I said this because I've been burned many times thinking a particular company was good because of their glowing reviews (most are among the top 10 in LEB's best providers) and are highly recommended.

And yet when I tried them, it's either the VPS has a crappy network, slow IO, abusing users are not monitored, poor performing CPU, arrogant owner, etc.

Apparently, they only got great reviews because the provider was so kind or considerate, fast support ticket times, or they are affiliates, etc.

Personally, my criteria are uptime and performance. I monitor my websites every minute and I know when they go down.

I don't care about support times because if your websites are always up then what do you need support for?

With that mini-essay, the one that I would recommend is Ramnode, their OpenVZ SSD ones. It just blows out everything else out of the water as far as LEBs are concerned.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • Edin_JEdin_J Member

I'd personally say best performers (on LET) are BuyVM & RamNode. Only from personal experience though. There's plenty of others.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

said: You then find that you have breached the hosts TOS and fair share usage limits, getting suspended.

These days you can simply get a dedicated server for 5-10 EUR/mo, and never worry again about host's overselling or you "breaching fair usage limits" on disk or CPU.

• Edin_JEdin_J Member

rm_ said: These days you can simply get a dedicated server for 5-10 EUR/mo, and never worry again about host's overselling or you "breaching fair usage limits" on disk or CPU.

Then you start worrying about why you're dropping 25% of your packets. :P

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Edin_J said: Then you start worrying about why you're dropping 25% of your packets. :P

And why would that be, care to explain the joke?

The two providers which I had in mind (OVH and Online.net) aren't known for overselling their network to any degree whatsoever, even their budget dedis can burst to full port and there is zero packet loss.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@rm_ said:
    The two providers which I had in mind (OVH and Online.net) aren't known for overselling their network to any degree whatsoever, even their budget dedis can burst to full port and there is zero packet loss.

ICMP gets deprioritized on their routers, or at least some of them. Many people will mistake this for signs of packet loss.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited June 2014

The UnixBench scores on serverbear are what you need to look for, I find anything around 1500 per processor is quite zippy - Around the same as an i7-3930K.

• @shovenose said:
    As a rule of thumb avoiding a provider that hosts with ColoCrossing is a great start. That will weed out about 75% of all the crap providers on here.

@shovenose said:
    This! Personally I now only use RamNode, SecureDragon, CatalystHost, Hostigation, and Crissic, and would not even consider anything else.

Back to your short-sighted self now you don't have a reputation to protect anymore?

I don't plan on flinging mud around against those companies and I don't think it's worth it for me to rebutt your claims, but I seriously think you need to reconsider your quality measuring skills.

@jcaleb said:
    I don't think DC has anything to do with CPU and disk io. Network speed for sure, DC is a big factor

Exactly. In some cases the network speed isn't even DC-dependent, for example when someone runs their own network and buys their own uplinks.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • if you move away from openvz hosts (towards KVM and Xen) you are less likely to find overselling to be an issue. (Not impossible, just less likely)

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

shovenose said: As a rule of thumb avoiding a provider that hosts with ColoCrossing is a great start. That will weed out about 75% of all the crap providers on here.

I suppose you don't include yourself as one of the crap providers, as you closed without a statement your vps business, after posting offers here on LET with notes that you are not hosted with cc mafia?

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

jvnadr said: I suppose you don't include yourself as one of the crap providers

Last I checked he currently doesn't run a VPS hosting company.

• LeeLee Veteran

You are either new to the LET market or short sighted if you believe over selling is not a significant element of how providers do things. It's what makes your $7 or less VPS pay, no two ways about it.

As always however there are those that understand what they are doing and have the technical competence to manage servers successfully and to a sensible point of saturation, whilst having the infrastructure that allows growth to the next node when the time is right and so on.

For others that have one or more mis-configured overloaded budget nodes there is going to be noticeable difference.

But then there are those with the mis-configured nodes that market so well they appear better than those that actually do it better.

Most people that come here and stay long enough will eventually narrow their preferred list of providers down to a select few, in the main it will be similar for most.

LET is handy for identifying many good brands and offers convenience but don't forget there are many outwith here too, many providers that can and will offer the same kind of deals here won't. They don't want to dirty or cheapen their brand and that is understandable.

What most providers here realize to late is that whilst LET/LEB can give you a foot hold it quickly prevents you from being seen as anything but a cheap lowend brand that nobody would likely ever pay more than $7 for and they can't make a living on that. Which is when the providers cut more corners and try and save more money. Eventually loosing interest in your performance or in fact their service.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

@spazzo

I think that you are searching for a host that is reliable, one that you can trust to keep your services online. You have to look for services with fair prices, not insane cheap or ridicilous overpriced, it has to be somewhere in the middle.

I've been here on LET for a while now and I can say that so far i've found 3 providers that match the aboven requirements.

1. Viralvps.com

You can find my review from this provider here http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/24658/viralvps-com-review-1-month-of-experience my vps over there is still going strong just as described there. If you need a fresh live benchmark just PM me and i'll run one for you.

2. Seflow.it

3. Getkvm.com

I honestly dont even need to search for any new LEB/LET hosts anymore because those 3 have been perfect for me, the reason I switch LEB providers is not because I have had a bad experience with my previous provider it is rather because I got bored of a service that you never have to look back at (always working as it should.)

• DylanDylan Member
    edited June 2014

Mark_R said: Getkvm.com

GetKVM was bought by Bradler & Krantz last year -- if you like their service (and I've only heard good things about B&K) you should check out their original brands that charge in Euros. The 1GB plan at their main brand is less than GetKVM's 512MB:

https://www.providerservice.com/products/virtual-servers/

Or you can get a 2GB plan for even less at their budget brand:

https://www.ultravps.eu/en/plans/

Only difference is their main brands offer Xen and OpenVZ instead of KVM and OpenVZ.