Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should run RAID0 or RAID1 on SSD - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should run RAID0 or RAID1 on SSD

2»

Comments

• wychwych Member

@wojons said:
    There is an old system admin saying.

Friends dont let friends raid 0

I do love this saying.

• wojonswojons Member
    edited June 2014

@Microlinux said:
    It is possibly more accurate to say "Friends dont let friends inappropriately raid 0".

yes there are some cases were you have enough HA on ur data that having raid0 is fine and allowed there are lots of cases were your getting extra disk space and you that disk space means nothing if 1 drive is out. OP maybe able to use smaller ssd and get a spinning disk in place at better value. I sometimes send small ssd's to dc so i can have a little mixed work load.

@wych said:
    I do love this saying.

i know its an imporant one because most of the time we want to raid 0 something that has no redunacy and may not even have backups. if your really someones friend you make sure to talk to them about it. dont get me wron your gaming computer or laptop may have some sort of raid 0 mstat or something installed and its cool because of of your data is programs and has some sort of steam cloud storage and the list goes on and you can always have ur normal files in a drop box or what ever.

• SunnSunn Member

I run Raid-1000 On all my nodes.

• tchentchen Member

@jazz1611 said:
    That's what worries me the most. Because Intel SSD DC S3500 Series Read445 MB/s and Write 135MB/s (not good). That reason i looking RAID0

That 135MB/s is meaningless anyways unless you're talking about a single user system with high streaming loads (eg video editing workstations). A server, outside of e-peen benchmarking will not see sequential load bottlenecking. IOPs is more important, and that you have enough of.

Die let dd benchmarking, die.

• wojonswojons Member

@Sunn said:
    I run Raid-1000 On all my nodes.

not that it cant be done but you would not gain anything from it your better off just doing a raid 100 or something.

• SunnSunn Member

@wojons said:

I am kidding, i don't really run Raid-1000.

• Sunn said: I am kidding

Hahaha, so funny.

• wwwcomwwwcom Member

@jazz1611 said:

Hi jazz, did you end up with a SSD model @ soyoustart?
    Because I am wondering if you got ECC memory or not on that machine
    ( dmidecode --type memory )