Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DelimiterVPS does not restart server after maintenance - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DelimiterVPS does not restart server after maintenance

2»

Comments

• nerouxneroux Member

MarkTurner said: out of 400+ Atom servers, one rack was affected (44 Atoms). The switch for that rack failed. It was replaced within 30 minutes and servers rebooted.

I am not afraid not in my case. When I noticed the file-system was read-only it had been already for nine hours in this state.

• @neroux - PM me your IP or asset #

• @MarkTurner said:

Oh I'm not complaining about it, just saying that if they had to email it out as a pre-warn not enough seen it. Can't really complain for the price I'm getting.

• @Catalystium - Its not about pricing, its about trying to tweak the service and get it right. I am of the opinion that irrespective of the price point there should be a baseline level, then as the price goes up so the 'extras' like server management, etc can be added.

Status management and monitoring have been something I have pushing for some time. I got them to post their network issues and service affecting issues to Twitter which has been quite a good way to disseminate information during incidents. I also update my profile message on here and have Steve post on WHT during unplanned incidents (once so far).

We're working hard to get the balance right and I am always happy to take relevant ideas/comments back and try to get them adopted.

• @MarkTurner said:

Gotcha even though you push the updates on twitter, a must in my opinion would be an email going out for upcoming stuff. Shouldn't have to ask to be on a list.

• @catalystium - I had them spam everyone affected by last Saturday's power maintenance, we had a few complaints but its workable. Getting requests for RSS feed as well.

I think its a matter of tweaking it and trying to ensure that the emails that are sent are relevant. Just because there is an event for example in Atlanta, it does not mean it is relevant all customers, or all customers on one specific product. But by the same context, Delimiter does not have a way to tie a customer to a location within the datacentre except a manual lookup in the asset database.

For example US402710 is rack J6 but US402711 is C18 so they can't provide a granular range.

I am sure we'll end up writing something so if there is an incident affecting racks E11-E20 then we can pull out the asset IDs and then notify each brand which of those assets are affected so they can in turn drill into their customer base to determine which customers are affected.

Thanked by 1catalystium
  • ReeRee Member

I had some downtime during the window, not sure if it was related to what they were doing or just coincidental timing. Once I saw the window had been cancelled and I was still offline I opened a ticket, and the routing problem (what they reported the problem as) was fixed in about 20 minutes.

• @Ree - we tried to use the same window to make bring on a new wavelength from New York to Atlanta, so that the benefit of our NYIIX and DECIX NY peering would benefit our Atlanta customers.

One /19 was misrouted during this change over and ended up going via London. I assume your IP started 107.189.X.X.

• ReeRee Member

@MarkTurner - yep, I'm in that range.

• @Ree - that was the issue then. I am not sure where you are located or which ISP you are connected via but many Canadian, NE US, Taiwanese and Russian customers will benefit from that interconnect

• ReeRee Member

Yeah, he mentioned that the new routing means you're directly connected to my ISPs primary transit provider or something like that. Was cool he took the time to look up that information.

• @Ree - this week we will complete Los Angeles - Seattle and then finally we'll make the hop over the border to Vancouver and Toronto

• I had to start up my server 'manually' after the last "power maintenance" as well.

• @switsys - Can you PM me your asset # or IP address

• @MarkTurner said:
    switsys - Can you PM me your asset # or IP address

Yes :)