Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSL Certificate
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSL Certificate

HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
edited May 2012 in Help

Hey guys! I've been on LowEndBox and LowEndTalk for a while now and recently decided to actually get an account here. I can do a bunch of stuff on Linux but when it comes to this I'm pretty oblivious so please work with me here.

So right now I'm installing my first Domain SSL Certificate (on a server with WHM installed) and it states I need a dedicated IP to my main account in order to apply this.

So if I have 2 Ips for the nameservers, would this mean I'd need another one as a dedicated IP to my main site (totaling to 3)?

Comments

• SpencerSpencer Member

Yes that is correct.

• beardbeard Member

In before some guy flips out on you for hosting 2 nameservers on the same VPS

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

You could get a freebie from startssl.com to play with - that way if you screw something up, you're not out the $10 or whatever.

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited May 2012

No that is not correct... HTTP != DNS. The only reason you need a dedicated IP for HTTPS is that otherwise, the server doesn't know which domain's SSL certificate needs to be used.

For SSL, you (typically) need an IP that serves only the domain in question over SSL. (The same IP can serve as many non-SSL sites as you want, though I'm not sure if cPanel works with that).

tl;dr DNS and HTTPS can share the same IP just fine.

Thanked by 2MrDOS HalfEatenPie
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited May 2012

Well seems like there's still tons more I need to know about this. I'll probably start with the StartSSL and then make one of the IPs the dedicated SSL IP.

I have an extra low end VPS which I'll just use as the DNS box and figure out from there.

Edited the weird wordings and stuff

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

If you want I can host your DNS for a dollar per year on our georedundant DNS system, would like feedback on the management. It's all handled in the WHMCS Client area. We do this for our current VPS clients. Working on a hosted DNS solution for others.

• specklspeckl Member

@HalfEatenPie said: Well seems like there's still tons more I need to know about this. I'll probably start with the StartSSL and then make one of the IPs the dedicated SSL IP.

Yes, the easy way to do this is to use your 2 ips as NS1 and NS2.
    Then have your main website on NS1's IP.
    Install the SSL cert for that IP and then use the other IP for your other shared websites.

• Thanks for the offer @FRCorey but I think I got it working with one of my low end VPS as a DNS server (using CentOS 6 with cPanelDNSONLY installed). I do appreciate the offer though! Now I have 2 servers, one low end VPS for DNS and the other decent one (atleast for a starter) as the main server. Once I get more funds built up my first course of action will be to set up an additional DNS server!

Totally unrelated I grew up in Fort Collins, Colorado so its nice seeing other people who are in Colorado! (yeah its the internet but still haha)

@speckl Yeah I had the SSL certificate on the second IP and made it so that the main account has a dedicated IP (the second one). All other accounts would be made on the primary IP.