Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VPS providers that include DDoS protection - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VPS providers that include DDoS protection

Comments

• @0xdragon said:
    I've had an attack of about 2Gbps that knocked it clean out of the water. :(

I've tested tons of providers for DDOS protection in last 2 years & TBH no one beats OVH's PRO DDOS Protection.

Thanked by 1freewebie
  • @K2Bytes said:
    I've tested tons of providers for DDOS protection in last 2 years & TBH no one beats OVH's PRO DDOS Protection.

I completely agree with that!

• http://nexhost.net/hosting/vps-hosting/

40Gbps DDoS Protection (CNServers)

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2014

@nexmark said:
    http://nexhost.net/hosting/vps-hosting/

40Gbps DDoS Protection (CNServers)

Doesn't CNServers drop UDP packets while you are being attacked?

• @Mark_R said:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1219218

It works pretty well, however, it does kill the traffic going to that protocol during an attack, keeping the service online.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2014

@K2Bytes said:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1219218
    It works pretty well, however, it does kill the traffic going to that protocol during an attack, keeping the service online.

that line appears to me as a contradiction.

EDIT: after reading the comments from the OP at that WHT thread I saw that he multiple times mentioned that players report lag, this doesn't sound too good.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

does anyone know if the Voxility network drops UDP packets? they offer 500Gbps protection which looks really good.

• @Mark_R said:
    does anyone know if the Voxility network drops UDP packets? they offer 500Gbps protection which looks really good.

In my experience Voxility's network is unstable at best. If you want more info as to why I'll shoot you a pm.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

Yea, i'd like to hear about that. thanks!

• edited June 2014

@Mark_R said:
    Yea, i'd like to hear about that. thanks!

PM Sent.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

All Ransom IT services in Sydney are protected via Black Lotus DDOS Mitigation. So far it's been pretty effective.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • CakeyCakey Member

@Mark_R said:

Personal experience, a medium sized botnet attack generating a lot of requests will make them automatically null route the IP for 6 hours, not the greatest thing.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Mark_R said:

Depends on the size, however if you're using UDP don't go with anything CNservers related.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • However If you want, I can issue you a risk-free 3 Day trial period.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

@nexmark said:
    However If you want, I can issue you a risk-free 3 Day trial period.

I really appreciate that but UDP traffic is a must. I rather not setup all my stuff and find out later that my players got disconnected.

Thank you anyways!

• @K2Bytes - I agree OVH's DDOS protection is definitely one of the best. Most of these so called DDOS protections are junk. They claim insanely high amount of bandwidth and hide the number of packets per second they can filter.

I have seen OVH's DDOS protection personally and it works far better than most of them out there.

Thanked by 1Shoaib_A
  • @MarkTurner said:
    K2Bytes - I agree OVH's DDOS protection is definitely one of the best. Most of these so called DDOS protections are junk. They claim insanely high amount of bandwidth and hide the number of packets per second they can filter.

I have seen OVH's DDOS protection personally and it works far better than most of them out there.

Yes but I have seen a lot of providers & companies specialized in DDOS protection spreading lies about OVH on WHT & other forums that it does not or it sucks. But when I challenge them to test theirs & OVH both, they just run away. I guess spreading lies is the only way they see of capturing clients.

• If you're going for OVH don't go with so you start go OVH directly as the permanant migiration is there and you're going to need it.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Also you can try staminus or buyvm which uses staminus

Staminus is better than OVH

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@nexmark said:
    Also you can try staminus or buyvm which uses staminus

i'm actually thinking about trying voxility & staminus, if they don't work out i'll resort to OVH. i've seen alot of positive feedback about staminus so I have positive hopes on that1.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited June 2014

@nexmark said:
    Also you can try staminus or buyvm which uses staminus

I would say OVH is better, staminus provides more of an outsourced protection & there could be delay to tunneling. OVH provides many times more protection for almost no extra cost. But yes Staminus is good if you're looking for small to medium range remote protection.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@K2Bytes said:
    I would say OVH is better, staminus provides more of an outsourced protection & there could be delay to tunneling. OVH provides many times more protection for almost no extra cost. But yes Staminus is good if you're looking for small to medium range outsourced protection.

Outsourced? what do you mean exactly?

• @Mark_R said:
    Outsourced? what do you mean exactly?

remote

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Staminus is great, but they are geared to a different market than OVH and they are way more expensive (different business model). Voxility is on par with OVH.

Also, don't be cheated with network capacity, it's only one of the many things which matter on DDoS protection. Voxility is nice and has very big capacity, but they don't provide the best overall protection available.

• @Nyr said:
    Staminus is great, but they are geared to a different market than OVH and they are way more expensive (different business model). Voxility is on par with OVH.

Also, don't be cheated with network capacity, it's only one of the many things which matter on DDoS protection. Voxility is nice and has very big capacity, but they don't provide the best overall protection available.

Not sure if Voxility's DDOS protection capacity is as big as they claim but OVH has tanked 350+ Gbps attacks in the past, for example:

We see today lot of new DDoS attacks from Internet to our network. Type: NTP AMP Size: >350Gbps. No issue. VAC is great :)

Same also confirmed by CloudFlare:

http://blog.cloudflare.com/technical-details-behind-a-400gbps-ntp-amplification-ddos-attack

Somewhat ironically, the large French hosting provider OVH was one of the largest sources of our attack and also a victim of a large scale NTP amplification attack around the same time.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

K2Bytes said: Same also confirmed by CloudFlare

On that quote CloudFlare was just (understandably) crying about OVH being the source of the attacks, not the destination.

• @Nyr said:
    On that quote CloudFlare was just (understandably) crying about OVH being the source of the attacks, not the destination.

also a victim of a large scale NTP amplification attack around the same time.

• @K2Bytes said:
    also a victim of a large scale NTP amplification attack around the same time.

I thought thats Ecatel, and Voxility

• CNSjackCNSjack Member
    edited June 2014

There is a reason for dropping UDP during certain UDP attacks and any DDOS protection experts should know about it. Guarantee no UDP drop is simply not possible if you are going to protect UDP services. If a provider guarantee UDP filtering, keep UDP services online during UDP attacks, that would simply be a lie.

@Jack said:
    CNServers is known to drop UDP when attacks hit... this is what created the issue for BuyVM after moving out of CN to Staminus.

https://my.securedragon.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=123

https://clientarea.ramnode.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=85

Seattle

Protection in Seattle is provided via direct connection to CNServers in our Seattle data center. Their system can filter up to 10Gbps or ~1.5 million PPS for certain attacks. Attacks over 10Gbps will result in a nullroute. UDP floods will result in all UDP traffic being at least temporarily dropped for the target IP (except for certain DNS traffic).

• @Mark_R said:

Depends on the type of the attack. We don't always drop UDP during any UDP attack.

OP, if you are hosting a pure UDP service like "Source", you are going to be offline during a well crafted SPOOFED UDP attack with any provider. So it really doesn't matter who has the best protection. Just go with the most low cost and stable provider.

Thanked by 1Mark_R