Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSL - Redirection Loop
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSL - Redirection Loop

Hello,

I guess from the title some people can understand what the problem is.
So I am trying to force ssl using htaccess file with the following rule

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} 80
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://example.com/$1 [R=301,L]

I can access most the site with that but at some subfolders all I get is a redirection loop error.
I would do this the virtual host way but this is on a shared hosting enviroment.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
George

Comments

• nerouxneroux Member

Not that it would probably change anything in this case, but I'd rather go for the HTTPS flag than the port.

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on

Anyhow, do the logs say anything? Any special URL structure? Can you post a link that doesnt work?

• Yeah tried that as well. Didn't work though.

No special URL Structure and according to host it should work based on their server's configuration.

I prefer not to share the link cause its a colleagues site and not mine.

I searched a bit and found numerous different opinions about cleaning cookies and system time and all that.
    None of these worked.

I am thinking if its possible that the problem is with the SSL Certificate but I personally never saw that before.

• nerouxneroux Member

TH_George said: Yeah tried that as well. Didn't work though.

Didnt expect it to change anything. Its just the better approach IMHO.

TH_George said: I prefer not to share the link cause its a colleagues site and not mine.

If you wish PM it.

TH_George said: I searched a bit and found numerous different opinions about cleaning cookies and system time and all that. None of these worked.

I am thinking if its possible that the problem is with the SSL Certificate but I personally never saw that before.

To be honest, neither sounds too much related. But you never know of course. Without URL impossible to say.

• Hey thanks for helping.

Just got an email from the host saying it was a mis-configuration in their system. (BS I say..)

Anyway now it works fine, although I am wondering what mistake they made.

Thanks though.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Observed similar thing with force re-write rule and force SSL option of WHMCS. It got stuck in infinite loop.

• TH_GeorgeTH_George Member
    edited June 2014

Thats the first place I looked for a solution but nothing worked.

Actually all the info I got from there were correct and it should have worked just fine but the host had something wrong in their server configuration.

• nerouxneroux Member

Whats new in there?

• @neroux said:
    Whats new in there?

a lot of things that you don't know and won't know for your entire life ;)