Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Problem with apache
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Problem with apache

sc754sc754 Member

Hi,

Today I've had a few problems with apache, wonder if anyone know's a solution:

doing netstat -an

I get lots of (hundreds) lines like this

tcp 0 0 my.ip:80 74.63.229.204:2622 SYN_RECV

I also have a lot of ESTABLISHED and TIME_WAIT connections (high in my servers port range 40000+ but on the connecting ip it's port 80 most of the time. My apache has spawned loads of processes and loads very slowly or times out.

Any help?

Comments

• Slowloris Flood? Maybe or a HTTP Flood GET/Post

• sc754sc754 Member

@nexmark said:
    Slowloris Flood? Maybe or a HTTP Flood GET/Post

Thanks for the info. I've put squid in front of apache now which has restored the sites load time. Only problem is wordpress doesn't want to work with squid ;(

• @sc754 said:
    Thanks for the info. I've put squid in front of apache now which has restored the sites load time. Only problem is wordpress doesn't want to work with squid ;(

Try something easier such as Cloudflare and set the security to high, Also is this a VPS or shared hosting

• sc754 said: Thanks for the info. I've put squid in front of apache now which has restored the sites load time. Only problem is wordpress doesn't want to work with squid ;(

Just switching to nginx can be a solution.

• namhuynamhuy Member

nexmark said: shared hosting

you can't run netstat with shared hosting

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited June 2014

namhuy said: you can't run netstat with shared hosting

Wow. You seems to stuck in 2004? SSH is allowed on many web-hosters.

• this is because apache usually opens a new thread for each couple of connections. switch to apache-mpm if you must use htaccess, or choose nginx/lighttpd

• sc754sc754 Member

My partial solution is to put varnish in front of apache instead of squid. Still getting a bit of load but much less and sites load quickly so it'll do

Thanks for the help

• @namhuy said:
    you can't run netstat with shared hosting

Ever heard of shell access on cpanel, must not.

• namhuynamhuy Member

I must have been outdated, back then while i used sharing hosting, there was no ssh