Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Real or fake?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Real or fake?

DanielMDanielM Member
edited May 2012 in General

Just got this email from WHMCS, but it originates from solus.

what you think?

http://screensnapr.com/v/lD8ZLX.jpg

Comments

• DanielMDanielM Member

its worth noting. solus doesnt have the email address it was sent to.

• DanielMDanielM Member

QUestion is how did they get my email :|

• You could always contact SolusVM and request if this is a "real" or "fake" email and what email addresses do they have on file. Keep in mind if you used any email address (trial or real version) of SolusVM then most likely they just emailed out to everyone.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

I just received the email from SolusLabs, that is so confusing, why would solus send out email for WHMCS

• AldryicAldryic Member

Well, WHMCS did urge folks to help spread the word. I suppose we could give Solus a break and assume they were trying to lend a hand.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Aldryic said: I suppose we could give Solus a break and assume they were trying to lend a hand.

Maybe, but I did receive a notice from WHMCS a few minutes later.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I received from licensepal, solusvm and whmcs (In this order) with ~20 minutes time in between.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

This is an informational email on behalf of WHMCS

I didn't receive any e-mails from WHMCS so I'm glad SolusVM did send it out. I'm assuming WHMCS's mail server is down due to the DDoS attacks. According to the thread on WHT, the SolusVM staff have been in contact with Matt (WHMCS) and were asked to help distribute the e-mail.

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I recieved an email from another webhosting company that I have shared hosting with. So I guess its spreading by word of mouth

• subigosubigo Member

@miTgiB said: I just received the email from SolusLabs, that is so confusing, why would solus send out email for WHMCS

Because so many people use the SolusVM module, which means a hacked WHMCS install can delete containers.

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member

@KuJoe said: I didn't receive any e-mails from WHMCS

me aswell,, licensepal did that for me..

• rds100rds100 Member

@subigo IIRC the latest SolusVM includes an option to disable deletion of containers via the API. Which means if you enable this option a hacked whmcs install can no longer delete containers. Just shut them down.

• VictorVictor Member

Received it from Solus, Licensepal & WHMCS, looks real to me.

• @rds100 said: @subigo IIRC the latest SolusVM includes an option to disable deletion of containers via the API. Which means if you enable this option a hacked whmcs install can no longer delete containers. Just shut them down.

uhh...? Customers: "oh my VPS has expired but it's still there, just shut down, let's boot it! wheeeeeeeeeeee!"

• rds100rds100 Member

@DimeCadmium suspension still works. And termination works only manually - i.e. if you go to solusvm and delete the VPS there.

• @rds100 said: @DimeCadmium suspension still works. And termination works only manually - i.e. if you go to solusvm and delete the VPS there.

Ah. Still the problem of full hard drives :p

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@DimeCadmium said: uhh...? Customers: "oh my VPS has expired but it's still there, just shut down, let's boot it! wheeeeeeeeeeee!"

Sounds like Santrex. :)