Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sturdyvm aka dedicatedminds deadpooled?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sturdyvm aka dedicatedminds deadpooled?

Since yesterday, sturdyvm web site is suspended (cpanel page). Recently there were almost a deadpool of dedicated minds: down for several days and then, rebranding. Now, dedicated minds is up but old accounts are deleted, and sturdy vm is suspended. Anyone know anything?

Comments

• Odd; I didn't have services with them both. I wonder what happened.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited June 2014

@jvnadr - SturdyVM client panel says "Account Suspended". SturdyVM SolusVM panel is up. My vps with them is still up. I can log in to the client panel at dedicated minds, my account is active, but there are no vps under services.

• I am sure @Reece is still busy typing his reasonable reply for the last thread.

• bump. any word on this? still the same suspended page.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2014

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@ricardo said:
    bump. any word on this? still the same suspended page.

SturdyVM client panel still says "Account Suspended".
    SolusVM is still up.
    The node kernel was not updated after last exploit.
    The lights are still on, but nobody is home.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

He's just waiting for servers being terminated. This is the difference of a honest from a dishonest provider. Honest providers with financial or other problems, at least, throw a statement even if they cannot fulfill all the requests for refunds.
    On the other hand, dishonest providers are like @Reece or @Ian_ (Tactical) that disappear one day, rumors about what happened are discussed here in LET, (Ian is still log in often here) but not even a note...

• Steven_FSteven_F Member
    edited June 2014

I moved away from DedicatedMinds during their last outage. It was pretty obvious they were basically done at that point.

I use their VPS as one of my development environments that I could set up again in like 15 minutes, so it's not a big deal to me. I actually picked up my first Kimsufi server because of him... Now, I have three and will probably be grabbing more. If they allowed multiple IPs, I'd have like ten already.

To anyone who currently is using SturdyVM/DedicatedMinds, BACKUP AND MOVE ANY MISSION CRITICAL SITES/VPS IMMEDIATELY. If anyone needs help, feel free to ask. I don't offer VPS services and my dedicated servers are probably too expensive to justify to moving to from a cheap VPS provider like DM, but if you need help migrating or whatever, feel free to contact me. I will be offline until Saturday night (~30 hours), but when I return, I will do my best to offer assistance to anyone who has asked.

For anyone that needs to move, check out Iniz. Patrick is a pretty cool guy and you can grab a 128 MB OVZ VPS in New York City for $7 a year. If you need to backup, grab a backup VPS from vpsDime. Oktay is a great guy. I know he's a Turk, but you can't have everything!

• Iniz are pretty good, scooped up another 2 of those $7/year ones.

Thanked by 1Patrick
  • XeiXei Member
    edited June 2014

TBH, if you stuck with them after the previous issues/debacles, you deserved what was coming. :| I was interested in DM at once, but there too many red flags that came up with respect to how they conducted their business.

@ricardo said:
    Iniz are pretty good, scooped up another 2 of those $7/year ones.

I'm interested in INIZ but a little worried how sustainable things are when they run those low price point promos.

• J1021J1021 Member

Anyone still with them; it's time to abandon ship.

• Thanked by 3Xei FrankZ Neoon
  • TBH, if you stuck with them after the previous issues/debacles, you deserved what was coming

C'mon. Some of us have a lot of nodes and we're not running a newspaper on the state of the VPS industry. I've come to the realisation that most providers here (on this board) are not worth using.

• @Xei said:
    I'm interested in INIZ but a little worried how sustainable things are when they run those low price point promos.

I don't think Iniz is going anywhere soon. They own their hardware and IP space. Their monthly costs are low. Patrick is a pretty cool guy.

Thanked by 2Patrick Xei
  • @Xei said:

We're edging towards 2 years in business and we're able to do those prices in US because of cheaper IP costs being a ARIN member. We own all our hardware and colo everywhere now so our costs are low.

Thanked by 2Xei k0nsl
  • XeiXei Member
    edited June 2014

@INIZ said:

I'll be picking one up! I have no need for more VPS's but I still like to collect them. I do think from all the feedback you guys are a very solid company and doing great so I'd like to support you guys. Keep up the greatness. ^^

Thanked by 1Patrick
  • XeiXei Member
    edited June 2014

@ricardo said:
    C'mon. Some of us have a lot of nodes and we're not running a newspaper on the state of the VPS industry. I've come to the realisation that most providers here (on this board) are not worth using.

I only come on sporadically so I'm not up to date on the latest happenings. DM seemed like they were destined to fail as far back as last Fall/Winter... can't remember when they popped up -- they had a lot more issues to follow into 2014.

I will agree that there are far too many providers that are best avoided. I had an old top 3 provider start out great and then go totally south (scroll up for which one), and one that was pretty crappy/unreliable at the start and became consistently better (to the point I keep renewing because I'm happy with the service -- I'd share the name but I'm afraid all the abusers will run to them and ruin them since they're not well known :P ).

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Xei said: I'd share the name but I'm afraid all the abusers will run to them and ruin them since they're not well known

That is similar with security through obscurity, since they are drowning in the sea of anonymity, they will remain good as long as they are still barely floating. A quality provider will be able to keep abusers at bay (out completely is not possible, but at least manageable). If you do not have the power to say no, you will have to say yes to the inevitable downfall.

Thanked by 2Xei Xei
  • Already have many previous talks regrading them so this was expected to happen.Reece should have left like Virtovo by doing proper announcement and explaining all the things.But he don't care about his reputation any more.

• @FtpIt_Radi said:

Official LET Deadpool podcast intro, Or Web video series (like some news channel)