Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pi - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pi

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

If the stock lasts, I will order one as soon as I am back in the office tommorow. It looks like a waste of 32£, however it looks cool.

• @tmn29a If you currently don't need the Raspberry, I would recommend you to buy one and sell it on eBay (originally sealed etc. pp.). You can easily make about 90€!

• tmn29atmn29a Member

@HerrMaulwurf Shipping will be in August and I probably will be on vacation from august till Sept. Plus recieving and shipping it is a hassle - this way the user also knows it's mint. I'll follow the auctions on ebay and decide. It's not like I don't want one, but during July-Sept. it's pretty useless to me :/

• RobertRobert Member

I've got 2, and to be honest they're fairly useless as a desktop machine due to the lack of graphics support at the moment. I've ordered a large SD card, and I plan to colo one with Edis for free :-)

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • tmn29atmn29a Member

Desktop? Nah, it should be obvious that this little thing won;t be any fun as a desktop PC. I wanted it as a small little server for my home. For that purpose the RPi is just perfect IMHO.

• ChanChan Member

@tmn29a
    I thought pre order keys has to be used alongside your email address? damn should have registered for the preorder with another email lol :D

• @tmn29a @Chan In case the seller simply clicks the link in the confirmation eMail sent by Farnell/RS Online, it'll be just fine. They're some people selling those preorder codes on eBay ATM.

• tmn29atmn29a Member

@Robert Forgot that Edis Colos them for free, that would be a damn sweet deal indeed :/ Damn, you just made my decision harder ^^

• klikliklikli Member

Seriously? I've got that email too(two weaks before I think?) but if you click on the link and enter your key you will notice shipping is like 8 weeks, which scared me off.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I have a via c7 home server packaged as a thin client with CF as hdd and all. I does good video decoding but chokes hard on HD. I use it as an internet radio player and as NAS+wireless router (client). It does run vmware server 2.0.2 in 1 GB of ram, but it overheats and crashes if cpu is perma maxed out. Didnt think adding a fan would be a good idea since it is there because it is completely silent when nobody uses it as a NAS server and the USB HDD is powered down.
    As such, a raspberry pi would only bring reduced size but also performance hits, except HD video playing. Will also use 10 times less power (5v*0.5 amp=2.5 Watt while my "rig" uses 24 watt in full load with external usb powered hdd tho)
    However, via c7 is x86.
    Price is similar.
    All-in-all, I stay with my "thin-client" which was retired as a server :P
    M

• tmn29atmn29a Member

@Maounique said: I have a via c7 home server packaged as a thin client with CF as hdd and all.

Do you mind sharing you experiences with it ? I asked to do that in a question here :

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2768/using-a-thin-client-as-a-local-leb

• sandozsandoz Veteran

wish i got an order code...i don't get iut why its so hard to produce and ship these things

• tmn29atmn29a Member

@sandoz said: wish i got an order code...i don't get iut why its so hard to produce and ship these things

http://www.ebay.de/itm/221054818311?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

I was bored just after 1 day play around with it. Now the raspi back to its box, in the drawer.

• @NanoG6 : Dijual berapa mas? :D

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@NanoG6 said: I was bored just after 1 day play around with it.

Min'e checking the °C on my room =P

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Dijual berapa mas? :D

Hahaha.. Not for sale.. at least for the moment. May be I'm just gonna wait till there are good firmware / distro available.
    Current Debian lag as hell, even with class 10 SDHC.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@netomx said: Min'e checking the °C on my room =P

LOL.. what an expensive thermometer :P
    But that's a good idea though.

Oh wait, maybe that's not your room temperature, I believe it is your raspi temperature! :D

@NanoG6 said: LOL.. what an expensive thermometer :P

via internet? don't think so =P

@NanoG6 said: Oh wait, maybe that's not your room temperature, I believe it is your raspi temperature! :D

nope, it is an external sensor, the DS18B20 =P

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@netomx said: nope, it is an external sensor, the DS18B20 =P

like this one?

How you stick that to the pi?

• ztecztec Member

Well, does anybody want to buy my activation code?

• i offer 10cent

Thanked by 1klikli
  • ztecztec Member

I cant really expect more from a lowend forum :D

• Anyone want to buy my pi?

• @ShardHost said: Anyone want to buy my pi?

For how much?

• Nothing above the purchase cost with fair shipping. Comes with HDMI + EU Power cord

• huluwahuluwa Member

@miTgiB said: Hmm, I ordered from Element 14 the day it was to open to pre-orders and received the unit last week

I ordered some days ago from Element14, yesterday they told me it will be on stock...............till end of Aug.....

• Is it a Model B?

• Its a model B