Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup VPS = KVM or OpenVZ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup VPS = KVM or OpenVZ

I know what is the difference between KVM and OpenVZ.

However, which is the best (KVM or OpenVZ) and why if I use my VPS for backup only. Many thanks.

Comments

• Best are relative.

Best in price, performance or something else?

• noqqkknoqqkk Member

@sirmbhe said:
    Best are relative.

Best in price, performance or something else?

Safety and Performance I also want

Thanked by 1csofts
  • If you are not going to use FreeNAS, Nas4Free, Openfilter or OpenMediaVault, you need to go with KVM. However, if you are just trying to set up FTP or rsync backups, there is really not much difference.

• OpenVZ, providers are not afraid to give out large amounts of disk as not everyone will use say the full 50gb, where as on KVM it's a little harder to oversell disk.

• cassacassa Member

@serverian said:
    If you are not going to use FreeNAS, Nas4Free, Openfilter or OpenMediaVault, you need to go with KVM. However, if you are just trying to set up FTP or rsync backups, there is really not much difference.

You mean If you are going to use FreeNAS, Nas4Free, Openfilter or OpenMediaVault, you need to go with KVM?

• @linuxthefish said:
    OpenVZ, providers are not afraid to give out large amounts of disk as not everyone will use say the full 50gb, where as on KVM it's a little harder to oversell disk.

False, it's possible to oversell disk on KVM too.

The problem for most providers is that SolusVM doesn't support it just yet but having custom panel just solves that issue.

• BradBrad Member
    edited June 2014

@alexvolk said:
    False, it's possible to oversell disk on KVM too.
    The problem for most providers is that SolusVM doesn't support it just yet but having custom panel just solves that issue.

@linuxthefish said:
    OpenVZ, providers are not afraid to give out large amounts of disk as not everyone will use say the full 50gb, where as on KVM it's a little harder to oversell disk.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2014

If you are going to export your FS in unusual ways, say iSCSI or even CIFS/NFS, you need KVM/Xen. You can do, however, FTPFS, SSHFS and anything in userspace provided fuse is enabled in OVZ.

• noqqkknoqqkk Member

Thanks a lot

• niceboyniceboy Veteran

I prefer openvz backup vps as it provides overselling facility for my providers .. larger disk space and lower price.

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

From an administration point of view OpenVZ is much easier to work with. All things being equal I would go with OpenVZ.

• backup only -- you are likely to find better pricing on openvz. you are also more likely to find overselling which is why i would never recommend it for any other purpose.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2014

If security/privacy is a thing for you then i'd go with KVM because you could encrypt the entire hdd. ofcourse you will be paying more for less. you have to ask yourself, is it worth it? i'd say No because anything you upload to a remote destination could possibly violate that privacy element. better get a NAS server for home in such case, atleast you'd know for the full 100% that the provider or a thirdparty person doesn't get access to your files.

• tchentchen Member

Iptable modules are still somewhat annoying under ovz. It'll depend greatly on whether the provider has loaded the appropriate modules. It's getting better though lately, IMHO.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Mark_R said: If security/privacy is a thing for you then i'd go with KVM because you could encrypt the entire hdd.

That is moot for a backup VPS, you can encrypt the backup at the source.

• noqqkknoqqkk Member

Many thanks. I have nas for backup in my home but would like to make one more backup copy outside my home. So I will use Openvz + change ssh port + csf firewall + btsync + encrypt the files in PC before sync to vps. Is it enough to protect my files in Openvz.

• wychwych Member
    edited June 2014

@serverian said:
    If you are not going to use FreeNAS, Nas4Free, Openfilter or OpenMediaVault, you need to go with KVM. However, if you are just trying to set up FTP or rsync backups, there is really not much difference.

Backupsy is KVM? so you can set what you want up in there...

• @wych said:
    Winity is KVM? so you can set what you want up in there...

Winity is Hyper-V. Backupsy is KVM, VPSDime is OpenVZ

• @serverian said:

Can't you start a Xen provider?

• wychwych Member
    edited June 2014

@serverian said:

Urgh, flid moment; I meant Backupsy - we are talking about backups VPS's.

@XxNisseGamerxX said:
    Can't you start a Xen provider?

EU laws say he cannot be a monopoly.

• @wych said:
    EU laws say he cannot be a monopoly.

Then follow the US laws :P