Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Intel® C2750 (Avoton) enough for converting videos?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is Intel® C2750 (Avoton) enough for converting videos?

I saw a dedi on online.net

can I know whether this dedi is good enough to convert a video at a time??

I will using HandBrakeCLI to convert those videos

I tried on atom and it took about 8-9 hours for 2 hours video..

Anyone can give any opinion on this???

I know this question is better posted on videos ommunity forum, but, I am looking for a cheap dedi that can be used to convert a videos.

Please dont give any useless comments because I am totally dont understand about cpu power.. is it based on models, cores, freq or anything?..

Comments

• Convert to... 1080p? 720p? SD? AVI or MKV? What compression level? One at a time?

Probably yes but there's a lot more questions. Not exactly your situation but here's some pretty good success stories of video transcoding/encoding on that chip.

said: is it based on models, cores, freq or anything?

All of those things. They have product lines (like the Core iSeries, Atom line etc) and of course there's brands like Intel and AMD, and those product lines generally represent a hierarchy of power. The number of cores and the clock speed are important but could possibly be bested by other micro optimisations on a similar chip - say you manage to over clock a 10 year old processor to 2.4Ghz, it's going to have an equal clock speed but worse performance than you Atom.

• probably not

• rds100rds100 Member

If you find conversion software that can use Inte's QuickSync Video specialized hardware inside the CPU it should be very fast.

• it's a very good CPU. plex works fine on full HD. and even capable of virtual machines (i had 6 active and still low cpu usage)

the only real downside is the HDD they provide. it's a 2.5

• I'm not sure if my comment is useless, but here's my experiences after 11 years video transcoding.

1. Can or cannot convert video

There's no real hard limit on CPU power for converting videos. The main difference is encoding time, not a can / cannot problem. We transcode videos 11 or maybe 12 years ago on a single core Duron and it just worked. Better processor just improves the speed and have little to do with quality or ability.

1. Requirement

If you only want to encode one 2 hours movie per week, then an atom that uses 9 hours is pretty enough. However if you need to encode such movies once per hour, you might even have to consider a dual E5 high-end dedi instead.

Think twice about your actual requirement.

1. CPU performance

If you are using AviSynth, you'll probably need a CPU with better single thread performance. If you never heard that, or you don't need that, then you can simply check the overall performance on CPU Benchmark. It will be simple math that a CPU with 5000 score will be twice fast as one with 2500. Find yourself a good fit there.

1. Hardware encoding

Some processor offers hardware encoding of H.264, like Intel QuickSync and nVidia some tools. They may also be a good choice if you are looking for speed over quality.

Thanked by 3jar AlexanderM sigmaphi
  • MikeInMikeIn Member

Good description @msg7086 :)

• oh..> @AThomasHowe said:

Convert to... 1080p? 720p? SD? AVI or MKV? What compression level? One at a time?

Im converting a video to mp4 720p. tried on a vps with E3, it took about 3-4 hours..
    and thanks for the link

good explaination @msg7086.. i just want to convert some videos, 2-3 hours is still ok.. I didnt expect faster encoding on that processor. but 2-3 hours will do great for me.. I dont really know about hardwares. So, I need ur opinion.. 8-9hours is a really long time and I cant wait that long

• If you really want to convert videos fast, you should use at least 16 cores (8 real, 16 HT) CPU, preferable modern CPU like Xeon E5 and enterprise SSD drives (120 GB is fine, less also). And make sure to run convertion with 16 or 32 threads.

• @psycholyzern said:

good explaination msg7086.. i just want to convert some videos, 2-3 hours is still ok.. I didnt expect faster encoding on that processor. but 2-3 hours will do great for me.. I dont really know about hardwares. So, I need ur opinion.. 8-9hours is a really long time and I cant wait that long

Converting videos usually take long time. It's quite common for me to process a 2 hours TV program for 30 hours on a 4th gen i7. Your requirement may be lower but if you are looking for speed, you do need a decent processor.

If you only have some videos to convert, do it locally would be much cheaper. If you have a lot to do, think about a fast server.

(No not a VPS on E3, but the E3 itself. Because, 1, video encoding is generally considered abusing, 2, shared core on a E3 is much less powerful than a dedicated server.)

Best P-P product may go E3-1230vX or i7 series, like for 40 euro/mon you get i7-2600 at hetzner.

If you occasionally convert videos, you can also think about hourly billing products, like linode, etc.. I'm not sure if they allow video transcoding but it doesn't hurt to ask them. You can spin up a VPS and convert your videos then remove it after completed, will only cost you some dollars for 8 E5-2680v2 cores.

Hope this helps.

• I just converting videos for personal use.no need too fast because im not doing any business with it.

• MikeInMikeIn Member

Online.net charges for the time you use from subscription to end of the month.
    So If you would like to try it wont cost a lot. And then cancel the server before the month ends so you wont have to pay for next month.

And if you do so, share your output with us :) So others could think of giving it a try, based on performance.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Just remember: You have to cancel BEFORE the 20th of the month. Otherwise online.net renews the service for another month...

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited June 2014

@psycholyzern said:
    I just converting videos for personal use.no need too fast because im not doing any business with it.

If that's the case I'll still suggest you convert them on your personal computer. Cheaper and faster. Unless you are using an ancient computer years ago.

• @msg7086 said:
    If that's the case I'll still suggest you convert them on your personal computer. Cheaper and faster. Unless you are using an ancient computer years ago.

well, I encode them to make them smaller.. my internet not so fast enough to download big files. that is the purpose I need remote server to do this for me.

• @MikeIn said:
    Online.net charges for the time you use from subscription to end of the month.
    So If you would like to try it wont cost a lot. And then cancel the server before the month ends so you wont have to pay for next month.

And if you do so, share your output with us :) So others could think of giving it a try, based on performance.

Well, Im a student which got very limited side income.. so, I need confirmation onthis first :)

@Amitz said:
    Just remember: You have to cancel BEFORE the 20th of the month. Otherwise

online.net renews the service for another month...

Yeah, I used 2 dedi from them before.but both use atom

• tchentchen Member
    edited June 2014

Use spot instances on amazon ec2. Bonus is you can run multiple encoders if you have a whole set to get through fast.

P.S. elastic transcoder is also an hands free option if your volume is low.

• BayuBayu Member
    edited June 2014

psycholyzern said: well, I encode them to make them smaller.. my internet not so fast enough to download big files. that is the purpose I need remote server to do this for me.

How fast your internet speed?
    Average size of H.264 1080p (BD Rip) video is about 8 GB.
    Transcoding from 1080p to 720p take 4 hours, depend on cpu performance.

So if you have 6 Mbps bandwidth you can download 8 GB video within 3.5 hours, rather than have to converting video into smaller size which take longer (transcoding + download time).

Maybe you can calculate yourself...