Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Openvz default power on behavior
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Openvz default power on behavior

Question to OpenVZ guru's. When a physical server that hosts OpenVZ containers is rebooted, is the default behavior to power on all the OpenVZ virtual instances? Or is the default behavior to honor their previous power state?

The reason I ask is that I have a OpenVZ VPS that I used for testing. It is not secured and I do not want it running 24/7. In fact, the VPS is in an off state 99% of the time. I only boot it up when I am actively developing and then ensure I bring it down immediately.

I have noticed with a certain provider that their physical server is being rebooted fairly regularly (I believe due to a DDoS attack). When they reboot the server, my VPS which was in an off state is now powered on without my knowledge.

Since I do not want an insecure VPS powered on without my knowledge, this VPS has become essentially useless. So before opening a ticket, I wanted to know what the default OpenVZ behavior was?

Thank you

Comments

• xDutchyxDutchy Member
    edited June 2014

vzctl set CTID --onboot no --save

Default OpenVZ config is auto boot i believe, but it's config is entirely up to the host

• I am not familiar with OpenVZ, but it appears that I can have the provider change the configuration of my VPS to not boot when the physical server boots?

• Thanks Dutchy

• Autoboot seems like the correct default config as most users would not want their downtime to be extended. Good to know its an easy config change.