Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paypal changing buyer protection [180 days disupute] - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Paypal changing buyer protection [180 days disupute]

Comments

• pkr5770pkr5770 Member
    edited June 2014

@BrianHarrison said:
    That URL no longer loads:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/business-updates/protection-improvements

Is this posted somewhere else or did they just make a retraction?

It's still loading for me

• Stop using PP, accept Bitcoin instead ;)

• @VictorZhang said:
    Stop using PP, accept Bitcoin instead ;)

The issue is that not everybody uses it.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Yep I think i will set myself a line in the sand i.e. after XX amount of charge backs/ disputes as a percentage PP will not be available to any UK customers unless they have had an account more than 180 days.

just initial thoughts.

Thanked by 1eddynetweb
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:
    Yep I think i will set myself a line in the sand i.e. after XX amount of charge backs/ disputes as a percentage PP will not be available to any UK customers unless they have had an account more than 180 days.

just initial thoughts.

Sounds fair enough, you've got to protect yourself.

• eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited June 2014

@AnthonySmith said:

just initial thoughts.

Seems fair. I know already some UK people are going to take advantage of this anyway. Watch threads emerge in the next few weeks from people living in the UK complaining that hosts are trying to protect themselves by no longer providing service to them through PayPal.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

soulchief said: I hope this never comes to Canada/USA. If it does, paypal will become a scammers playground. There's a hell of a lot more buyers who scam, then sellers who scam.

+1

• @c0y said:

CoinBase developers are a little... retarded. If you go to "Billing Address" and attempt to add one in Canada, you will notice that changing the Country to "Canada" does not update the form. The form still contains a dropdown called "State" that does not list provinces, and contains a field called "Postal Code" which only accepts numbers.

They clearly didn't think it out very well. Canadian Zip Codes are in the format L#L #L#.

I have contacted their support, but this is not the first time I have reported the issue; and they simply didn't care last time, let's see if they care this time around...

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

This is good news. Fraudulent sellers can no longer play waiting game. I don't see this affecting providers' ability to respond to invalid disputes, and it is already essentially impossible to reverse chargeback.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@pkr5770 said:
    It's still loading for me

Still not loading for me: http://pbrd.co/1qwqchE

Is it only viewable by UK PayPal account holders?

• @BrianHarrison said:

That's a strange one perhaps they are serving content from a server closer to your location which doesn't have the content or something. Here's what it looks like for us:

http://gyazo.com/e1f5539b6e9525e468e4a3302185fb91

• Hopefully now more of you guys will start taking BitCoin. It is such a nonsense: I would much rather pay monthly with bitcoin and take the risk of the host going under, than pay yearly with PayPal and only get 3 months worth of summerhost. BitCoin low processing fees and worldwide availability make it much better than PayPal. And if you think PayPal gives you a sense of "trust" in the buyer, don't fool yourself. Anybody can get "paypal verified", even Mickey Mouse.

• @elwebmaster said:
    Hopefully now more of you guys will start taking BitCoin.

The only problem is, unless you're in the United States; there are no merchant gateways for BitCoin that will actually pay the seller in a reasonable amount of time. BitPay for Canadians has a minimum withdrawal limit of $1,000 CAD and takes weeks to receive.

CoinBase doesn't even accept Canadians [ yes, they did get back to me finally. ]

• @Elwebmaster - Delimiter takes Bitcoin and has done for approx 18 months

• @GoodHosting said:

You can find a lot of ppl online willing to exchange your bitcoins for cash or bank deposit.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Elwebmaster - Delimiter takes Bitcoin and has done for approx 18 months

That's great!

• @GoodHosting @elwebmaster - http://Localbitcoins.com/ has been pretty good for me personally. I have bought on there a few times when I've needed coins and had them fulfilled in 30-45 mins

Thanked by 1elwebmaster
  • CoinBase's response regarding Canada:

I apologize for an inconvenience this has caused.

Unfortunately, we have not yet added the ability to add credit cards with billing addresses that are outside of the US. We're working with our card processor to add support for APOs, non-us address and US territories, but I can't confirm a specific time frame for these additions yet. In the meantime if it possible for you to add a US address to your credit card this may alleviate the issues you are experiencing.

Again we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

• In the UK http://bitbargain.co.uk are the best for coins. Never takes more than 5 mins from initial request to delivery for me. Pretty strict on ID though.

• @BrianHarrison said:

Log out from your PayPal first.

• This is awful. I am completely against this.

• Until now we have not even received a single dispute in paypal. Let's see how these affects. If things get worse we will switch to ebs

• sz1hostingsz1hosting Member
    edited June 2014

I suggest anyone who is concerned about this to contact paypal asap as i have and 5 other people i know who sell hosting, there are many things you can do to protect yourself though i will let you guys figure that out for your self's.

edited June 2014

zionvps said: Until now we have not even received a single dispute in paypal. Let's see how these affects. If things get worse we will switch to ebs

What is ebs? Electronic Based Service?

• n0myn0my Member

sz1hosting said: there are many things you can do to protect yourself though i will let you guys figure that out for your self's

Why? Does it cost you money to share it here?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
    edited June 2014

n0my said: Why? Does it cost you money to share it here?

It is just basic stuff checking your terms making sure you protect yourself from problems, and then asking paypal to verify your terms and talk to them about what happens before anyone even files a dispute, basically just make sure you are fully prepared for any paypal dispute and issues that may arise.

My paypal support is Singapore and Indonesia and they are much more helpful than UK paypal, due to past experience.

• So Great :)

• iceTwyiceTwy Member

@AnthonySmith @GoodHosting @Ishaq @Maounique

Time to accept Bitcoin, if you don't already? No chargebacks. Ever.

• iceTwy said: Time to accept Bitcoin, if you don't already? No chargebacks. Ever.

Just the hassle of running your business on a volatile currency your DC probably won't accept, lol.

Thanked by 1sz1hosting
  • wow