Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for low end dedicated but not sure who to trust
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for low end dedicated but not sure who to trust

Hello again all

I'm thinking of getting a low end dedicated box but not sure which way to go. I live in the uk and looking for something no more than £20 (less would be better) currently I have a openvz vps with what was dotvps and the new tos from virtua don't match my needs (have a small minecraft server on it which they now don't allow) and was thinking about moving to a dedicated box since I do host some clients websites and intent to get some more soon :)

So where would people suggest a good place to be is? I looked at ohv and saw kimsufi because I'd seem them mentioned a few times

Currently my vps runs at just under a gig ram with all websites database email servers etc on it and only comes with a 50gb hdd and 3gb ram

So prob looking at 2/3 gig ram with whatever hdd unlimited bandwith and great services :)

Cheers
Matt

Comments

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited June 2014

OVH/Kimsufi -> Gravelines has superb connection to the United Kingdom.

Thanked by 1ginner159
  • I would say Kimsufi, OVH is one of the largest hosting providers.

Thanked by 1ginner159
  • Would I still be getting a decent connection if I locate it in France? Currently I'm told my vps is in maidenhead and the connection is pretty damn quick

• rds100rds100 Member

Forget about 20 GBP dedi in UK, so OVH in France is the best one you could get.

• J1021J1021 Member

http://proof.ovh.net

Check out your connection there.

Thanked by 1ginner159
  • You might want to look for another VPS, minecraft needs good disk speed and seems kinda slow on a 7200 rpm disk for me.

• I think you've misspelled "thrust"

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Poundhost do a £10.99 + VAT Atom with 2GB 250GB HDD, have a look on LEB for the offer.No Paypal payment though, if that matters.

That said, I have an Atom with OVH in Gravelines and it's spot-on, I use it for Remote Desktop and there's no noticeable lag compared to doing the same thing from Maidstone.

Thanked by 1ginner159
  • @linuxthefish it's not on all the time in fact hardly ever atm. So prob will get a lowend vps for it if I bother with it again. Dot vps were great but the new guys didn't even email to say the new site was active or that the tos had changed hence the move to bigger and better things!

So I'm guessing people are recommending ovh/kimsufi

• Will have a look at that cheers! So the atoms are ok for server stuff then? Most I've had to do with then is in my dads netbook and it's quite slow. My clients are running wordpress and e-commerce like opencart and magento so need it be able to cope

• rds100rds100 Member

With your budget you can get an i3. Better than the atoms.

• DH22DH22 Member

Yeah probably ovh (kimsufi) for dedicated. I'd personally go with a 2GB UK Linode or NL RamNode VPS though for the faster disk speed if 3TB (Linode) or 4TB (RamNode) is enough bandwidth.

• i was thinking of swapping from openvz to kvm then thought if i can get a dedicated for roughly the same price then my as well :D

my clients dont have many hits atm although one is increasing quite rapidly as his band are making quite a name for themselfs

• ValdVald Member
    edited June 2014

check online.net too, they have some nice offers

also the new offers from kimsufi have the D425 which scored lower than the nano U2250

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=VIA+Nano+U2250+(1.6GHz+Capable)&id=1422

• aww man seems as tho they have sold out in france since ive been looking around anyone know when they restock? or i could go with so you start servers. Is it faily easy to move up through ovh services?

• No reason to not go with Kimsufi/OVH IMO

I'm in the North of England, and I have an OVH VPS in Roubaix (which is further away from the UK than Gravelines) and ping response time is 17ms

That's with ADSL too, not Fibre/cable

Thanked by 2ginner159 ginner159
  • Google DelimiterVPS they're amazing they ran a promo back then on WHT for $5 dedicated atom server all I can say is they have perfect uptime I had them 2 months already and not a single downtime or network slowdown. You can also try wholesale internet but depending on how much resources mc uses choose accordingly as I'm using my delimitervps dedicated server for CPanel DNS only

Thanked by 2MarkTurner netomx
  • If you go for OVH low-end dedicated, make sure you make constant backups. They only come with one drive and those are mostly old ones. Could go bad anytime.

• Thanks for all your comments guys! Think I'm going to let the minecraft server slide and move it away from my hosting server. Gonna have a refresh of my setup prob using ovh/Kim for a dedicated and some other low end vps for nameservers

• wychwych Member
    edited June 2014

Tad overbudget but what about? http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-classic

That has RAID, 1gb port and additional IP if you want them.

Thanked by 1ginner159
  • Probably stating the obvious but please... not server4you if they ever tempt you with anything.
    Peace out.

• @wych cheers that's not too bad don't mind a couple quid extra for added security

• sc754sc754 Member

@ginner159 said:
    wych cheers that's not too bad don't mind a couple quid extra for added security

How about online.net's new atom offering? If not you can't go wrong with the i3 from kimsufi

• ginner159ginner159 Member
    edited June 2014

@sijie123 I just looked can get nearly twice the server for the same price

• sc754sc754 Member

@ginner159 said:
    sijie123 I just looked can get nearly twice the server for the same price

By the way for ping to the UK, kimsufi is the better option (online.net = +5ms). I get +1-2ms to my GRA and RBX servers compared to UK ip's.

• If you can get a In-Stock kimsufi, Pay with CreditCard then you dont have to go through the verification process. -> instant delivery.

• sc754sc754 Member

@C0mpass said:
    If you can get a In-Stock kimsufi, Pay with CreditCard then you dont have to go through the verification process. -> instant delivery.

I paid by credit card and it took 5 days to deliver my server

• wychwych Member
    edited June 2014

@ginner159 said:
    sijie123 I just looked can get nearly twice the server for the same price

The c series isnt bad.

My minecraft box is on there and only got 5-10% load, with mods etc. Goes up to 60% when mcmap runs though.

EDIT - Server was delivered in 3mins and 15s from when I paid.

• @sc754 said:
    I paid by credit card and it took 5 days to deliver my server

Really? Did they flag you for a Identity check though?

I'm probably at my 6th server with them and I always get them in less then a minute.