Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestions for "free" Secondary DNS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestions for "free" Secondary DNS

2»

Comments

• +1 for Rage4

• This thread is so old! However, I recommend using afraid.org for a secondary DNS, very simple to set up as well.

• jeffjeff Member

If anyone has a chance, take a look at dollardns.net

• xname.org

• One would never use buddyns, and here's why:

• They've invented so-called 'Vanity DNS' and choose to take money for it. There is no such thing exists in case of secondary DNS. One can always point some subdomain to the IP of a secondary NS and set it as NS server for the domain, at wish. But with buddyns you can't! They keep track whether you do such thing and if you do, they freeze service of your zone and force you to pay for an advanced membership just of that
    • This is the first service having traffic quota for DNS service i've seen. Need more? Pay more...
    • Having a large SOA Expire value and thinking it will help in case of very long master NS unavailability? This 'll not help in case of buddyns. Your zone will live on their secondaries no more than month.
    • They choose to stagnate, offering just the pretty inferior DNS hosting. How one may sure that they will not die next day?
      Make your choice. I've made a proper one: buddyns is not my buddy anymore!
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2013

Back when this topic was started I would recommend dns.he.net, but recently I came to an enlightenment and a realization, the best primary DNS is your own LEB, the best secondary DNS is one or two more of your own LEBs.

Free DNS services have a tendency of going down, and since you are not paying anything, they would not care about you or your problems. E.g. dns.he.net didn't even reply to my E-Mail when they were with 4 out of 5 NSes down for several hours. So just get some VPSes from reliable providers, install nsd3 on those, and host your own DNS.

Thanked by 2asf klikli
  • I totally agree with @rm_ . Unless you have a huge amount of domains that you serve, that would make the memory requirements of a DNS daemon a non workable option, just use something like maradns or NSD3 and you're good to go. It can sit on just a few megabytes of RAM not interfering with your other running services.

• polazpolaz Member
    edited September 2013

http://system-ns.com beta services is waiting for your feedback :-) only one major downtime scheduled but it should not hurt system stability (ns servers are switched off one at a time)

• @rm_ and @rajprakash

the best primary DNS is your own LEB, the best secondary DNS is one or two more of your own LEBs.

Not all free DNS services go down, you clearly didn't test us.

Regarding free vs paid: what's the advantage of paying 10+$/mo for one extra VPS service and run after its maintenance, instead of 3$/mo for multiple geographically sparse, DNS-optimized points of service? Curious about your thoughts.

• ClouDNS is free for 3 domains.

• michelem said: what's the advantage of paying 10+$/mo for one extra VPS service and run after its maintenance

For much less than $10/month you can have three VPSs from reliable, quality providers. Strip 'em down to the minimum, dedicated only to authoritative DNS serving, with strict security, and maintenance is minimal.

The advantages are (1) complete control, and (2) capacity: nsd3 can manage hundreds of domains easily on a 128MB VM.

Geographic redundancy can be overdone. If 85% of my domains' traffic originates from east/central US, it doesn't make sense to have nameservers in the UK and South Africa :) Better to have a cluster of nameservers in east/central US with some geographic & network separation.

Yes of course there is also anycast ;)

Thanked by 1rm_
  • painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited January 2014

@michelem said:
    We run BuddyNS and work day and night to make it the best secondary DNS service around. There's lots of DNS hosting companies around: we focus on secondary and believe our user experience is unparalleled.

from your site: "Security

Popular DNS softwares historically scored severe vulnerabilities. With stealth master you cut the risk: our DNS servers are exposed to the Internet, yours is hidden. No stress for security policies & upgrades"

I like the stealth master thing, that is my setup,

my web server is DNS stealth master, using to cheap vps's as slave DNS,

Using BTSync to update. (update can also be done from home desktop)

• +1 for freedns.afraid.org
    using it with 50+ domains, some with high traffic

• I am using namecheap free DNS because I already have an account with them.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Used Rage4 for awhile then moved to cloudflare because I kept going over the limit with Rage4.

• i83i83 Member

We offer a free redundant DNS service for one domain - http://i-83.net/dns/

• I use CloudFlare. They've got anycast too, even for the free plan, and for me their service has always been great.

• dns.he.net is good, stable and reliable. we even use them to handle ipv4 ptr records.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited January 2014

@michelem said: Regarding free vs paid: what's the advantage of paying 10+$/mo for one extra VPS service and run after its maintenance, instead of 3$/mo for multiple geographically sparse, DNS-optimized points of service? Curious about your thoughts.

FYI, current 128-256MB VM prices are more like $7-12/YEAR, which translates to <$3/mo for 3x or even 4x geographically separated, DNS-optimized points of service of your own for unlimited domains. AND you can run other stuff (within reason) on those VM's, too :)

Thanked by 1rm_
  • VPNVPN Member
    edited January 2014

Self hosted name servers ftw.

@aglodek has the right idea. Get a second VPS for dirt, dirt cheap. Install BIND on it and setup all your transfers and zone defaults and you're good to go.