Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

IPTables and Securing SSH - Noob Woes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPTables and Securing SSH - Noob Woes

DomDom Member
edited May 2012 in Help

Hi all,
First LET post and i'm being a bit of a noob struggling with some SSH iptable rules on one of the Host1Free VPS's (running Debian 6 2.6.32; iptables 1.4.8); i know it's not great but it's ok to tinker with before i go with a decent provider.
I've started to use ilevkov's LEB script and haven't had any issues using it on my debian VM's up until now where it fails (on the first two lines below) on the SSH rules (port is just an example) under the Host1Free VPS -

-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1234 -m state --state NEW -m recent --set --name DEFAULT --rsource -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1234 -m state --state NEW -m recent --update --seconds 120 --hitcount 3 --name DEFAULT --rsource -j DROP -A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW --dport 1234 -j ACCEPT

I've tried variations of the above rules but i'm getting no where. So can anyone shed some light or point in the right direction to what is wrong with the rules?

Cheers all!

Comments

• seikanseikan Member

I think you need to contact your provider to enable ipt_recent module to make this work.

• DomDom Member

Looks like you could be right! Checked the installed modules and RECENT wasn't listed so i assume that is the problem.

Cheers anyway.