Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"First Choice Hosting" - Free SSL? it's only a joke
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"First Choice Hosting" - Free SSL? it's only a joke

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1382356

they said they are offering Free SSL without any additional contracts attached, but I guess no one can get this, lol

Information:

First Choice Hosting are now offering Free SSL's with no hidden fees! You don't even need to provide billing information, so hurry up and sign up now!

Our Offer:

Right now, we are offering 30 free SSL's to the first 30 people that sign up for them, as simple as that. We will be offering more as time passes by. These SSL's are from Comodo and are the InstantSSL's. They are normally sold for $15 but we are offering it to you for free!

All you have to do is head over to this page and we'll sort you out:

Free SSL Order Page

Enjoy these Great deals from First Choice Hosting!

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited June 2014

So the offer expired but you still posted it?

This offer has now been discontinued.

• nerouxneroux Member
    edited June 2014

I dont see the problem, respectively what you complain about.

They offered 30 free certificates. Thats it.

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran

@neroux said:
    I dont see the problem, respectively what you complain about.

They offered 30 free certificates. Thats it.

according the stock counts in whmcs, I think I'm the second one, already received the validation email from comodo and confirmed it 2 days ago, but have got nothing.

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran

@wych said:
    So the offer expired but you still posted it?

This offer has now been discontinued.

I ordered one 2 days ago, but I think no one ever got this ssl, at first, they said without any additional contracts attached, but at last they ask to order their hosting first.

• nerouxneroux Member

hotsnow said: according the stock counts in whmcs, I think I'm the second one, already received the validation email from comodo and confirmed it 2 days ago, but have got nothing.

So did you contact them? What did they say?

• wychwych Member

They are probably under licence to only use them on internal networks or a similar clause.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I think I am going to be the test guy for this later.

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran

@neroux said:
    So did you contact them? What did they say?

you can see the whole process which we have discussed in that thread,

I said "just got 1, many thx"
    they reply "Your welcome"

I said "already received the confirm mail from comodo and confirmed about 8 hours ago, but still have not received the certificate until now, could you pls help check it? thanks"
    they reply "Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a while after confirming the comodo email. It should mostly take 24-48 hours."

I said "comodo is so terribly slow, already 36 hours, still waiting, I've not used comobo before, but I know the GlobalSign is always fast, only need several minutes"
    they reply "I'll reissue this for you"

I said "well, thx, do I need submit a ticket? the Order Number is 3854094358"
    they reply "I'm afraid our free SSL certificates require an active hosting account with us and can't be used off of our network. Looking at your account, it doens't appear you have a hosting account with us which may be the issue here. If you like, you can order a hosting account and we can then offer you with a free SSL certificate."

Thanked by 1rm_
  • hotsnowhotsnow Veteran

@wych said:
    They are probably under licence to only use them on internal networks or a similar clause.

perhaps, these free ssls seems from uk2.net, lol

• wychwych Member

Sales ran a promo, promo breaks internal policies, management kills promo.

Either that or they wanted a load of emails to market SSL to.

If you paid nothing; you lost nothing, sure its a PITA they didn't honour the offer but time to move on.

Thanked by 1hotsnow
  • I'd like to note that it was something we were offering for free as a goodwill gesture and unfortunately, as @wych claimed, there were a few problems.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2014

hotsnow said: it doens't appear you have a hosting account with us which may be the issue here

So how about granting them a free hosting account for a limited period then? Some minimal one for a month, they likely won't use it anyway, if they just wanted the SSL.

If you like, you can order a hosting account

As you can see the only "issue" here is your greed, you backpedaled and now want people to buy something outright, before giving the promised free stuff. Want to both run a promo, get some good PR, but not actually spend any money on it. That's not how it works.

wych said: If you paid nothing; you lost nothing

Well he entered his personal data into yet another crappy WHMCS waiting for it to get hacked and his data leaked all over the internet.

Thanked by 3hotsnow namhuy ucxo
  • We are sorry about the inconvenience we caused you. We would not mind giving you a free hosting account for 1 month so you can claim your free SSL, we just thought that it may have been an inconvenience for you to move your whole site to us temporarily. If you would still like the free SSL, just contact me at [email protected]

• bait and switch !? well if so stay away from them then

• To be honest i don't get what the issue is... anything that is supposedly "free" has some hidden text beneath it which sometimes is visible but other times invisible...

• FCHostingFCHosting Member
    edited November 2014

We tried to help people out but unfortunately that didn't work out right.

@zafouhar said:
    To be honest i don't get what the issue is... anything that is supposedly "free" has some hidden text beneath it which sometimes is visible but other times invisible...

• @FCHosting said:
    We tried to help people out but unfortunately that didn't work out right.

To be honest i don't get what the issue is... anything that is supposedly "free" has some hidden text beneath it which sometimes is visible but other times invisible...

You mean by encouraging them to pay for a plan?

• Free stuff is always great, but there is ALWAYS a catch...

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • FCHostingFCHosting Member
    edited November 2014

The reply that was made stating that an order had to be made in order to be able to claim the free SSL was from a support company that did not know about the promotion at that time as it was just created. Also, we had a few problems regarding internal policies and were not able to hand out the SSL's due to the SSL's generated solely for internal sites which we did not foresee. Again, we are sorry for the inconvenience we caused and we were only trying to help out.

@Pwner said:

• "a support company" meaning you're using outsourced support? While not always the worst case scenario it is not that good when your support team doesn't communicate with your sales team. Is your sales team outsourced as well?

• @Pwner said:

Nothing is ever free, there is always a catch that is what i mean.

• We used to outsource support when the company was smaller but not any more due to our expansion. Our sales department was never outsourced.

@XFS_Duke said:
    "a support company" meaning you're using outsourced support? While not always the worst case scenario it is not that good when your support team doesn't communicate with your sales team. Is your sales team outsourced as well?

• @hotsnow - We'd also like to give you a free SSL (and hosting if needed) to settle this as compensation.

• @FCHosting said:
    hotsnow - We'd also like to give you a free SSL (and hosting if needed) to settle this as compensation.

Bump much?

• @FCHosting said:
    hotsnow - We'd also like to give you a free SSL (and hosting if needed) to settle this as compensation.

thanks, but I don't need anymore, I've already got it from other provider.