Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do most clients want with a Hosting Provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do most clients want with a Hosting Provider?

Hello LET,

I've been wondering what do most clients want?

• SSD
  • SSD [Raid 0 / 1 / 10]
  • HDD [Cheapest]
  • HDD [Raid 0 / 1 / 10]

Let me know what your thoughts are and anything else you would like to add :)

Example,
Ticket Support Response Times & if you'd prefer live chat support 4-6 hours a day etc

Kind Regards
Shivam Patel

Storage
  1. What Storage Do You Prefer?34 votes
    1. SSD
      52.94%
    2. HDD
      14.71%
    3. HDD Raid1
        5.88%
    4. HDD Raid10
      17.65%
    5. HDD Raid0
        8.82%

Comments

• @Shivam said:

• SSD
    • HDD [Cheapest]

No RAID or any type of redundancy at all?

• 24/7 uptime, so some kind of self-healing/redundancy setup.

• ShivamShivam Member

I'm planning on re-working my setup, maybe offering SSD & HDD , Then working towards Raid1 & Raid10 Or offer HDD & Raid1 Or something but to my opinion i'd say SSD HDD To start with would be really beneficial for customers. And then work up and offer Raid10 on SSD & HDD Over time for a bit more cash.

Base prices would be under what LET wants for SSD & HDD But i want to have a feel what people would want

• rds100rds100 Member

This is LET. You forgot the obvious answer - "everything for nothing".

Thanked by 2Nickk alanromano
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Are you saying RAID is optional? It isn't. And RAID 0 is about the worst idea you could have.

Also, I don't think trying to offer "whatever LET wants" is a good business idea at all.

Thanked by 2Scion TheLinuxBug
  • ShivamShivam Member

@Nyr , hence why i'm asking i want to know what this community wants & compare it to other communities and then make a decision on my behalf. But if i offer something customers don't want then whats the point?

• ShivamShivam Member
    edited June 2014

I will of course strive to ensure the quickest support times & high service uptime but of course its not my choice when an outage my occur but i can surely provide reassurance that if something was to occur due to technical issues i'd be happy to provide a free month or work something out personally with you.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Shivam well, if you ask... this community does want big specs while paying peanuts. Please note that I'm saying specs, not reliability or premium service.

Some people does want reliability too, but that usually comes second for most and plenty of sales are done trough crazy prices and not a good service. Some hours of yearly downtime are the norm here and people seem to be fine with that.

Well, that's why this community is called Low End Talk ;)

• khavkhav Member

@Shivam

You need to specify whether you are taking about VPS or dedicated server

For VPS i would say SSD Raid 10
    For dedicated it would be HDD Raid 1

• ShivamShivam Member

I'm talking about VPS , sorry about that Khav , and thanks for the opinion Nyr :)

• GunterGunter Member
    edited June 2014

You'll want to have a staff on par with the quality of @drserver.

Thanked by 2drserver 0xdragon
  • blackblack Member

Wow, the SSD hype is real. RAID 10 HD + maybe SSD cache is a pretty good imo.

• LicensecartLicensecart Member
    edited June 2014

I prefer SSD, but SATA works fine if your host only uses that. It doesn't bother me you just get less space for SSD.

Most customers want is good support, to be kept up to date, treated like a person and if there's downtime good communication.

• RAID10 15k SAS, or RAID6 SSD's!

• Mark_RMark_R Member

I really don't care about all that raid/ssd stuff. i'm more interested in quantity cheap hdd space and a reliable server that is reachable whenever you need it, no random network outages, just something that works like it should!

• ShivamShivam Member

Interesting :)

• wychwych Member
    edited June 2014

Sod the storage system, clients want transparency.

Most customers want is good support, to be kept up to date, treated like a person and if there's downtime good communication.

Just about covers it.

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

I think maybe you are asking the wrong question. How about none of those things. They want it to always just work. Sadly, that is not as common as people think.

I think a lot of providers don't monitor the hard drives in their RAID arrays. So, for example, in a SW RAID1 if one drives fails they don't know about it. Both drives are usually the same age/model and because now the other drive has to work twice as hard and is constantly trying to rebuild the failed drive, it fails shortly after. It happens all the time.

These are just a few of the easily preventable things some providers don't watch for.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • ShivamShivam Member

Great point sman, never actually thought of that. Gonna work on a solution for that. Probably contact my d.c every 1 month or so for a checkup