Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My poor experience with LiquidSolutions - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My poor experience with LiquidSolutions

2»

Comments

• alexhalexh Member
    edited June 2014

@michaelkourlas said:
    I am not really interested in debating this issue further, but you are actually incorrect. A Liquid Solutions support representative told me himself that Liquid Solutions' parent company, Query Foundry, is based in Australia.

It appears that the company is indeed American:

https://wyobiz.wy.gov/Business/FilingDetails.aspx?eFNum=205032196193179193053048072159229073088153220157

The listed mailing address is indeed in Australia; This also matches the WHOIS information for the domain queryfoundry.com. However, the company was registered in Wyoming, and the principal office is in Florida.

Edit: Their subnet is also listed as American. http://bgp.he.net/AS62638

• @concerto49 said:
    Please use official support channels.

I'm not arguing, just telling you what I know from experience. No offence intended, my friend.

• If it's American, then they are required to keep transaction records/personal information on hold for at least 12 months. It's under US law, and I think the "Patriot Act", the worst law you could ever condone, is also the reason. Why do you think the NSA is all over today?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

eddynetweb said: If it's American, then they are required to keep transaction records/personal information on hold for at least 12 months.

That law applies to big telecoms and ISPs...are you sure it applies to every mom 'n pop VPS hosting company?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • rds100rds100 Member

michaelkourlas said: When I purchase a product from a retailer, they don't ask me for my address, nor do they need it to file their taxes.

What about if you purchase a cell phone subscribtion? Do they ask for your information? Can you go and tell them "please forget all information about me"?

• eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited June 2014

@raindog308 said:
    That law applies to big telecoms and ISPs...are you sure it applies to every mom 'n pop VPS hosting company?

That I am not sure of. If they're a registered company (LLC and such), then yes, they should be under the jurisdiction of that law, and "should" be keeping records. I'm not so sure of the "mom n' pop" small old VPS company scenario. They should also keep transaction information on hold though.

EDIT: Remember, this applies to all businesses, big and small. This Patriot Act bullsh*t is really annoying, and melodramatic. You should see what it says, silly lawmakers.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited June 2014

I know one thing, if you really are paranoid about your information getting out, opening a thread like this is a GREAT way to call attention to ones self. If I were working for the NSA, I think now you would likely be seen as a concern as it seems you have a big problem with a US company you did business with retaining your personal information. I am not saying you should not have your own privacy, but if staying off the radar was your goal, you really missed hitting the nail on the head with this one.

Anyhow returning to the discussion at hand:

Any company you do business with has the legal right and obligation to retain your personal information on file for the legally obligated period in their locality. Period. You need to remember that WHMCS is billing software and that most companies are obligated to keep updated billing information on their customers by law (past or present). Could they disable your WHMCS account, sure. Are they obligated to remove your billing information, absolutely not. As stated before, this could also cause them to incur penalties for failure to retain the information for tax purposes, and as the value of your account is/was probably less than $50, I doubt they are willing to risk losing money just to remove your information. If it is a serious concern, do as @AnthonySmith suggested and contact the applicable parties, pay the fee needed to have the information removed in a legal manor, and move on.

Edit: Also, I hope this was clarified earlier, but just in case it wasn't, cash transactions at a physical store front are 100% different than doing electronic transactions over the internet. The same rules do not apply in both situations. As I am sure you didn't show up on their door step and hand them cash for the product and paid using an electronic payment method, they are obligated to retain your personal information on file.

Cheers!

Thanked by 3AnthonySmith mikho jar