Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD Life
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD Life

It's been 2 or 3 years since SSD drives became popular for VPS providers. I am curious to find out the failure rates. There were dire predictions a few years ago that they would turn themselves into ROMS in 6 months. Also any brands that have worked well? Any brands to stay away from? Any configurations that lengthened or shortened life (Raid 0, 1, 10 etc)
This is my first post here, I have learned a lot of knowledge by reading this forum.

Jim

Comments

• well i just bought a samsung 840 pro 256gb for my pc, so I hope this is not the case

• J1021J1021 Member

I expect @Francisco knows something about this with all the SSDs he must be running at BuyVM.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Intels are highly reliable

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

We have tons of thousands of Intel 520/530 series ssd deployed and we experience a very, very low failure rate.

• pcanpcan Member

More than 100 "consumer grade" SSD (Intel 320 and Samsung 840 EVO) and only 2 failures so far. Both due to the well-known Intel 320 firmware bug that has been already solved with a firmware upgrade. Intel exchanged the drives for free, next-day delivery, no question asked. I don't even consider to use a mechanical drive on a desktop/notebook PC anymore.
    No failure at all on the few enterprise SSDs we use.

Thanked by 2netomx marrco