Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows ASP.NET Hosting Reccomendations?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows ASP.NET Hosting Reccomendations?

AsadAsad Member
edited May 2012 in Help

I've got a friend who runs a large site written in ASP.NET and they want me to move it over to a new host for them.

I'm either thinking shared hosting with a reputable provider, or getting a LEB with Windows/IIS and doing it myself. Price range wise, anything around £100/$160 usd a year would be fine.

Anyone here know good reliable providers? Can be hosted anywhere in the EU, UK would be ideal. It's a fairly big site and contains a lot of private user data so must be a secure well reputable provider.

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@AsadHaider said: anything around £100/$160 usd a year would be fine.

So $13 per month. http://www.lowendbox.com/tag/windows/

I have no idea what RAM usage is like on Windows servers so I can't really take a guess.

If I would choose one I'd most likely choose Corgi-Tech, it's in the UK, and they seem reputable, but don't take my word for it, I have no experience with them.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited May 2012

@Infinity said: If I would choose one I'd most likely choose Corgi-Tech, it's in the UK, and they seem reputable, but don't take my word for it, I have no experience with them.

I've had a look at them and read some reviews on WHT, may go with them. Worried about how reliable their company is though.

Anyone have any ideas on how much RAM would be ideal for Windows 2008 R2 with IIS hosting a single site and MSSQL database?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I have used burstnet for my asp.net hosting needs around 1 year ago... Well, the server was stable and working fine for the price I paid.

• BurstNET would probably be best.

• AsadAsad Member

@LiquidHost @Daniel
    I'll take a look at Burstnet servers thanks. Still not sure how much memory I'll need though, their 2GB ram packages are £30/month which is expensive.

And if anyone knows any good companies doing shared windows hosting, that would be fine too.

• @AsadHaider Maybe 123-Reg then if your looking for shared.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Currently on windows 7 I am consuming ~3GB (at the moment) of the RAM. I'd say you need atleast 1.5GB to run smoothly the windows. HOWEVER I have ran it on 512MB VPS from pritell, not sure though which version, was it R2 or not.

• HostGator does it! Trololo

• AsadAsad Member
    edited May 2012

@Daniel Might have a look at 123-Reg, they have a seven day money back guarantee. I've never used them before except for domains, and they were awful for domains.

@LiquidHost I've got a 1GB XEN vps in America, might do a test install and see what the resources are.

@DimeCadmium Hahahaha... no :P

• AsadAsad Member

@jtodd Never heard of them, but I'll check out some reviews thanks :)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@AsadHaider said: Anyone have any ideas on how much RAM would be ideal for Windows 2008 R2 with IIS hosting a single site and MSSQL database?

Thinking 2-4gb depending how the site works out once it is live, so shared hosting is probably going to be the only option to meet your budget needs, Xen/KVM will be be acceptable if you can find ram at $6/gb, so not going to happen, and Hyper-V seems to be double on ram pricing over Xen/KVM

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Vmserver.pl they have amazing vmware based Windows VPSes with license included

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

For base Windows 2GB plus 2GB for MSSQL plus min 40GB HDD.

• If youre looking for a respetable provider with a decent price, take a look at SoftSysHosting I used them on the past with an ASP site (yes, I move it to PHP long time ago).

The biggest culprit on the hight price its going to be SQL, if you need the standard, biz or enterprise version.

If the site can run on the Express edition, then you should be fine with the price range you marked.

• earlearl Member

@AsadHaider

Found this in my spam box, if you don't mind Chicago Illinois BurstNET is having a 20% off sale on their VPS, it's good until June 30'th...

PROMO CODE "ILVPS20"

BUDGET WINDOWS VPS

If anyone is interested in their linux:

XEN LINUX VPS
    BUDGET/PREMIUM LINUX VPS

• AsadAsad Member

Awesome, thanks for the recommendations guys :)

Going to save me a lot of trouble and go with one of the shared hosting providers.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Have you considered GoDaddy?

...why is everyone hurling large objects in my direction?

Thanked by 2Zero Aldryic
  • AsadAsad Member

Wondering if anyone can help me with if I need to buy a SQL license or not?

I'm going to go with shared hosting, and the site uses a MsSQL server database. The shared hosting host pays for this right?

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

@AsadHaider said: The shared hosting host pays for this right?

Yes, at least from my experience. But I just learned that in the US you have to pay a monthly fee for the webcontrol-panel (like cPanel et al) if you have shared hosting. So this might be different in the US-centric hosting-world.