Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BlueVM shuts down VPS with dubious cause, doesn't notify me. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BlueVM shuts down VPS with dubious cause, doesn't notify me.

2»

Comments

• M66BM66B Veteran

@trewq said:
    I'm just so sick of people hosting mission critical applications on a box they are paying about the same as a coffee for.

That may be true, but then @BlueVM should make that clear at sign up.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@trewq said:.

Are you really going to charge your client for the time it takes you to fix this when it is your fault to start with? That seems like a real money grabbing exercise.

Thats how consultants makes money.
    We sell our time and experience/knowledge to the ones who can't do it themself.

Depending on the contract, could be set as "pay by the hour" or "fixed price".
    There is no difference then hiring a contractor, lawyer, prostitute.

I've been working like this for more the 15 years, never had any customer complain about what I charge them.

With the bad reputation that BlueVM had in the past about hosting spammers I'm not surprised about these kinds of scripts and by what I read here it was handled pretty well by the support when the ticket was submitted. Only bad thing was the auto email not being sent.

I haven't yet but will soon buy a license for feathur, probably never going to use it (lacking time) but I want tomshow my support to someone who actually did something when everyone were talking about leaving Solus.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@MikHo said:

And this is why I would be eating rice every day if I were a consultant. I wouldn't be able to charge someone for time I have spent fixing something that is only wrong because of a decision I had made.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@trewq said:
    And this is why I would be eating rice every day if I were a consultant. I wouldn't be able to charge someone for time I have spent fixing something that is only wrong because of a decision I had made.

You learn :)
    I was doing the same thing first year. With the experience you will also learn that it's never you as a consultant who makes the decisions. Its the customer.
    As long as you (as consultant) lay out the plan before implementing.

This is going off-topic. Hope noone minds since the issue is resolved?

• ReeRee Member

What does "lay out the plan" mean? Did you choose BlueVM, and mention them in the plan, and that constitutes the client choosing BlueVM in your eyes? If so, did the plan describe the potential problems related to hosting with a low-end host? It's pretty common for them to have language in their terms that allows them to suspend without notice for any resource violations, whether they're intentional or accidental.

And did the plan provide options? ie "you can go with a low-end host and save money, or go with a more expensive host and have a smaller chance of suspension [ie linode, who say they only suspend for intentional misuse, which can still be incorrectly determined to be the case but it's less likely to happen], or go with a dedi for yet more money but have all the resources to yourself", etc.