Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using low-end-boxes to setup a Hadoop cluster
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Using low-end-boxes to setup a Hadoop cluster

This is my first post here and I apologize if its off topic.

I'm looking to build a personal Hadoop cluster and would like to use LEBs and setup a 5 to 10 node cluster. Ideally each cluster should have 1 GB RAM and 20GB+ disk space.
It would be great if this cost me less than 30$/month.

Are there LEB providers that you know of who could make this setup easier ?

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Each one $30 per month or $30 total?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2014

Hadoop tends to eat your CPU even when idle. I've used Digital Ocean for experimental Hadoop before (only needed it for a week or so), they give you dedicated CPU or at least let you use 100% of it, never tried anything else.

(dedicated means limited of course)

• perennate said: Hadoop tends to eat your CPU even when idle.

If that's the case, I wish him best of luck finding a provider that will let him use a CPU core all day.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

eddynetweb said: If that's the case, I wish him best of luck finding a provider that will let him use a CPU core all day.

I don't know, he didn't mention it so maybe he doesn't need, I didn't spend much time tuning Hadoop, and it was a year ago so I don't remember (but when you're actually running compute job of course it uses up CPU).

Thanked by 1eddynetweb
  • Why not take a small dedicated like Delimiters 16GB X5150 and slice it up into VMs. If you wanted 1GB VMs - you could get 10-14 VMs on there for $20/month