Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM suspended/terminated servers still running
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM suspended/terminated servers still running

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
edited June 2014 in Providers

Hi Folks,

Just a heads up to providers.

Despite the fact they said they had a script running to remove or suspend running servers that should not be running as of 1.15.00 (BETA 4) I think, I just wanted to let people know all it actually does is remove the VPS from the database but it leaves it running on the node so they seem to be using the exact same method that failed in the first place to try again when it finds one rather than fix the actual issue.

This seems to primarily affect Xen HVM and from discussions with others KVM as well.

I reported this months ago and the "double check" script was released, I had assumed it was taking care of things but sadly not.

While troubleshooting a connectivity issue for a new user I found it was due to someone trying to spoof an address they should not have been however during that I spotted a few other things, so far I have found 6 still running servers that are marked as terminated/ cancelled/suspended in WHMCS, the cancelled/terminated ones are no longer listed in solusvm.

The net result is running servers that you may not be fully aware of also using resources not accounted for and duplicate IP allocations.

Going to continue checking everything else, probably take me days but needs to be done, this sort of thing is getting old now, starting to think I might just be better off manually provisioning everything and monitoring things through my own scripts at this rate....

Comments

• Interesting, i only use solus on 1 location 3 using virtulizor and 1 is feathur, i am sure you have already reported this to solus?

• rds100rds100 Member

Reporting to Solus is useful. They fix bugs - after 2-3 years.

Thanked by 2eastonch rmlhhd
  • That reminds me, I have a Xen VPS with PhoenixVPS (a.k.a. perfecthosting.guru, now hostingbeam.com) which I have cancelled since August last year. It's still online until now and survived all those brand name changes.

• DalComp said: . It's still online until now and survived all those brand name changes.

You mean online as in you have not paid for it but they just left it running?

rds100 said: Reporting to Solus is useful. They fix bugs - after 2-3 years.

Interesting i thought solus was quite good, my fav is virtulizor there support and bug fixes is fast - very fast.

• @sz1hosting said:
    You mean online as in you have not paid for it but they just left it running?

Yes. Though I'm not sure it's related to this bug, more like human error I think. I'm looking to see how long until they audited their servers.

• DalComp said: Yes. Though I'm not sure it's related to this bug, more like human error I think. I'm looking to see how long until they audited their servers.

Wow is all i can say lol !!

• blackblack Member
    edited June 2014

I think @Damian wrote a script to look for these ghost VMs. See https://github.com/damianharouff/solus-ip-audit

• @black said:
    I think Damian wrote a script to look for these ghost VMs. See https://github.com/damianharouff/solus-ip-audit

those renting vps from kiddy hosts, time to backup. you never know what they gonna delete

• blackblack Member

@upfreak said:
    those renting vps from kiddy hosts, time to backup. you never know what they gonna delete

Well, hopefully they double check before deleting VMs, but if you stopped paying for yours and your services are still up, it probably will be deleted without notice.

• I've seen this with Feathur ta few times too. I also have a Dedi at WSI that's been online ever since BlueVM left there. Hasn't been paid for in a while. I wonder when they'll shut it down.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

had a KVM at Torqhost, it was one week later still online and running until i told them...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I did open a ticket yes, this is the second time I have opened a ticket for this issue.

Initial response was them saying it was only me affected and it may be a problem with my infrastructure, second response was "do you have any log output of any kind to show what's going on when the suspend/terminate is supposed to be happening but isn't?"

• This issue has been around for years... This will occur more frequently as you grow and your solus manages more VM's.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I did open a ticket yes, this is the second time I have opened a ticket for this issue.

Initial response was them saying it was only me affected and it may be a problem with my infrastructure, second response was "do you have any log output of any kind to show what's going on when the suspend/terminate is supposed to be happening but isn't?"

You know how Solus is, they don't want to accept any mistakes, and they wait several years until they do fix one, when it does indeed impact a majority of the crowd.

I have been thinking about it a bit more, the amount of money I have spent/will spend I might as well just hire a near full time php/mysql person show them solusvm list the problems and ask them to rewrite something that essentially does the same thing but you know, that works a little better and scales better.

• I believe I had this happen with a KVM at NodeDeploy a while back. Definitely seems common and not just related to XenHVM.

• I'm becoming more and more frustrated with SolusVM.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

I have run into this problem with KVM services as well. Very annoying...

Nice response from solusvm:

Well, instead of ignoring our requests for a convenient time to call and discuss these problems and you moaning about it on forums (conveniently omitting the fact we've helped you a LOt in the past and have been trying to call you), you could provide us with said suitable times when Phil can call you to discuss it.

That is, of course, if you're not too busy sourcing a developer to code your own replacement of course.

Kind Regards,
    James Baker - SolusLabs Management/Support Team 

I have stated in the past I don't want to resolve my technical issues over the phone, I have no idea why they would want to either to be fair but invited them to call to discuss anything else i.e. the future of solusvm.

Apparently alerting other hosts to a potential revenue and client affecting issue is "Moaning on a forum".

Apparently they have "helped me a LOt" I would say they have responded a lot and fixed very little, the incident with about 15 bug reports that is still sitting without even a reply for over a year now in management review is case in point.

Honestly with that reply to a serious issue if I was not leaving solusvm already the chances of me staying with them now are slim to none.

• wychwych Member

I am glad I don't use Solus.

Nice support ticket response ;)

• @wych said:
    I am glad I don't use Solus.

Nice support ticket response ;)

W3Cares quality.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: Honestly with that reply to a serious issue if I was not leaving solusvm already the chances of me staying with them now are slim to none.

You're thinking of feathur?

@Maounique no Xen support in feathur sadly or I would have been all over it from day 1, literally 2 options for full migration including WHMCS OnAPP and virtualizor.

• c0yc0y Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    Maounique no Xen support in feathur sadly or I would have been all over it from day 1, literally 2 options for full migration including WHMCS OnAPP and virtualizor.

virtualizor is literally a solus clone, some source code is just copied using an ioncube decoder (was trying to solve an issue wherest I would get more insight by decompiling both using the same decompiler and noticed large chunks of 1:1 code lol)

@c0y said:

I don't have a problem with that at this stage, as long as virtualizor actually works and even if it only works just as well I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: I don't have a problem with that at this stage, as long as virtualizor actually works and even if it only works just as well I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

There are other people which switched back to solus after a while. They know it also, IMO feathur might be the answer in a year or so, sadly bluevm does not like xen too much :(

• @AnthonySmith people use SolusVM not because they like it but because there is no better alternative available until now.I had high hopes with HostGuard but it seems they have either stopped development or made it very slow.

• My feelings with SolusVM are mixed. They have been very responsive to issues in the short time we've used them and also taken on board feedback and included it in releases; however some things seem to drag on a bit. I'm not sure what their development schedule is like, maybe they are just swamped.

I'd be happy to pay them a little more each month if it improved their support.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Nice response from solusvm:

> Well, instead of ignoring our requests for a convenient time to call and discuss these problems and you moaning about it on forums (conveniently omitting the fact we've helped you a LOt in the past and have been trying to call you), you could provide us with said suitable times when Phil can call you to discuss it.
    > 
    > That is, of course, if you're not too busy sourcing a developer to code your own replacement of course.
    > 
    > Kind Regards,
    > James Baker - SolusLabs Management/Support Team 
    > 
    > 

I have stated in the past I don't want to resolve my technical issues over the phone, I have no idea why they would want to either to be fair but invited them to call to discuss anything else i.e. the future of solusvm.

Apparently alerting other hosts to a potential revenue and client affecting issue is "Moaning on a forum".

Apparently they have "helped me a LOt" I would say they have responded a lot and fixed very little, the incident with about 15 bug reports that is still sitting without even a reply for over a year now in management review is case in point.

Honestly with that reply to a serious issue if I was not leaving solusvm already the chances of me staying with them now are slim to none.

If you're only using Xen, could you not look at Servarica's Xenserver module for WHMCS? It uses XAPI as far as I am aware and they may be able to tailor it for you to include pools etc. You can then use Xencenter from the admin side to manage everything.