Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM kernel panic?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM kernel panic?

kyakykyaky Member
edited June 2014 in Help

One of my sites had been running on one of my 384 FrontRangeHosing KVM VPSes for a while until 2 days ago, the VPS was turned off by itself or by sth. I booted the VPS and ssh couldn't be connected. I checked the VNC and got this errors. Could anyone explain what happened? I submitted a ticket asking what was going on but I haven't got a solution yet. Corey said I might upgrade the kernel but I hadn't logged into SSH for nearly one month. It was just a web server without anything else.

Could this be a disk damage? or their end problem? Could it be caused by their SSD failure or sth? Thanks

This is the only site I didn't have backup of because I trusted FRH's VPS so much. It was not a big site just a cloned theme of lowendtalk. buy still would like to get the system online and make a backup for it.

Cheers

Comments

• serverianserverian Member
    edited June 2014

Kernel can't read the disk defined as / partition in your grub config. Change it as /dev/vda1

Edit: Sorry, I didn't check the first image. It seems your disk image is corrupted. Load a live distro and check if you can browse it.

Thanked by 1kyaky
  • kyakykyaky Member
    edited June 2014

@serverian said:
    Kernel can't read the disk defined as / partition in your grub config. Change it as /dev/vda1

Edit: Sorry, I didn't check the first image. It seems your disk image is corrupted. Load a live distro and check if you can browse it.

disk image is corrupted? does this mean, the corrupted thing might be caused by their side? SSD fail or sth? It is a SSD KVM. I don't know how many SSD they used for their old SSD KVM nodes.

• rds100rds100 Member

Check the VIrtIO settings, if they are the same as before.
    It it isn't that, then probably the disk image is corrupted. Run a rescue CD and try to investigate / fsck / etc.

Thanked by 1kyaky
  • kyakykyaky Member

@rds100 said:
    It it isn't that, then probably the disk image is corrupted. Run a rescue CD and try to investigate / fsck / etc.

thanks for the advice. I will have a look

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited June 2014

@rds100 said:

problem solved. I think they upgraded the SolusVM template/kernel or reset the disk drive settings or sth. (upgrading template shouldn't affect existing OSes, should it?) After I changed it to VirtIO, it works again. I hadn't logged into that CP for nearly 1 month until the site was down. don't know if this was due to their side upgrade or settings reset. Thank you.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Solus upgrade does not reset settings, at least it shouldnt. Something else might have gone wrong.

Thanked by 1kyaky
  • marrcomarrco Member

said: I didn't have backup of

I guess you just learned something. Backup, backup early, backup often.

because

there's no excuse for not doing automatic backups. Luckily you didn't loose all your data this time. There's no use to blame a LEB (Low End !) provider even if there's a mistake on their side. You are the **only **responsible to backup your data.

AWS and Google Cloud Storage cost about $0.02 per giga/month when using reduced redundancy storage with free ingress network. Or if you need to backup just a few GB you can even upload your data to a free dropbox account via a bash script using something like https://github.com/andreafabrizi/Dropbox-Uploader

• dwhsdwhs Member

Sometimes unplugging the machine for a minute and plugging it back in can help this. Not sure how, but it has helped the hard drive fix itself several times with Kernel panic errors for me.

• I guess this may because you or someone changed the settings without a reboot, thus not take effects until, now, when the vps reboots.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2014

marrco said: AWS and Google Cloud Storage cost about $0.02 per giga/month

XenPower VM L series cost less than that per GB, really, there is no excuse for not having backups...
    As for completely shutting down the VM allows the config to take hold after changes. Simple reboot does not work in many cases, the VM needs to be unmounted.

• kyakykyaky Member

@Maounique said:
    As for completely shutting down the VM allows the config to take hold after changes. Simple reboot does not work in many cases, the VM needs to be unmounted.

I've got 5 XenPower including the XL one but there is still a reason for me not to backup for that site. That is : I just didn't want to.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Interesting that my vps with them also went down and restarting vps was enough for me.