Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Safest .32 OpenVZ Kernel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Safest .32 OpenVZ Kernel?

MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
edited May 2012 in General

I've really started to hate OpenVZ, one of my servers has been on 2.6.32-042stab053.5, but constantly experiences the vzquota's soft locks. I upgraded to the 055 but that just panics at boot.

I have another one that is on 2.6.32-042stab049.6, and surprisingly it has had little issue apart from a lockup every month or so.

Is it best to downgrade to 049 from 053?

As I say, I am really starting to hate OpenVZ. I require the .32, does anyone have a suggested version that actually has some stability.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

049 had tons of issues, we had it crash ~8 times over the period of us being in buffalo on a single node.

.32 is simply unstable and what might be stable for a few users is going to blow up for others. There are a few hosts on here that claim .32 is 100% stable, but that's only 'for now'. They just recently patched a major crash issue that can happen to anyone.

Francisco

• subigosubigo Member

I don't see why anyone even attempted to use the .32 kernel. It's too new. I won't use it for at least a year for the same reason I won't migrate to CentOS 6 for at least a year.

• @subigo said: I don't see why anyone even attempted to use the .32 kernel. It's too new. I won't use it for at least a year for the same reason I won't migrate to CentOS 6 for at least a year.

Because the vSwap feature is pretty amazing.

@Daniel said: Because the vSwap feature is pretty amazing.

I can assure you stability is much more awesome :P Is this for VM clients or for your MC stuff?

Francisco

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@Francisco said: I can assure you stability is much more awesome :P Is this for VM clients or for your MC stuff?

The 49 is running a custom PiePanel setup (so Minecraft), and seems run it fairly well. Although has a lock up about once a month.

The 53 is running Solus. Lets not get started with the SolusVM I LOVE EATING DATABASES bug. But is now locking up once a day.

@Daniel said: The 53 is running Solus. Lets not get started with the SolusVM I LOVE EATING DATABASES bug.

You've checked the smart on your drives right?

• @Francisco said: You've checked the smart on your drives right?

I will take a look.

• @Daniel said: I LOVE EATING DATABASES bug

Sounds like a fun bug.

• @TheHackBox said: Sounds like a fun bug.

Oh it is. Its really entertaining to fix.

• SMART is fine.

• yomeroyomero Member

In the meanwhile, the linux kernel is at his version 3.3 =/

@yomero said: In the meanwhile, the linux kernel is at his version 3.3 =/

I had a kernel guy go through the RHEL 2.6.32 kernel and he said it was far closer to 2.6.39 than 2.6.32 since redhat backports so much code.

Francisco