Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Own DNS server setup or Thirdparty, please advise
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Own DNS server setup or Thirdparty, please advise

praveenpraveen Member
edited June 2014 in Help

I have about 50 zones hosted on bind with 3 slaves (vps's in different locations US, Germany and India) The setup is working fine since last 2 years and didn't face any issue.

Since I am facing difficulty in managing the zones like add new , edit records etc I was thinking about following options

1) Use POWERDNS instead of Bind and use MYSQL replication, so that I can easily manage them through SQL queries or can create a simple interface.

2) Use third party like Rage4 DNS server so that no need for me to take the headache of managing servers.

Also I have following queries

1) I read on one discussion that after moving to Rage4 they were able have better performance.
Since they are using some technologies like anycast network will this be better?

2) What are the risks if I go with a provider like rage4 compared to our own setup?

At this point, I would like to get suggestions from you so that I can decide further.

Comments

• said: 2) What are the risks if I go with a provider like rage4 compared to our own setup?

They could/might disappear someday, I think it's a 1-2 man show and idk if they bring in enough money to support it

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited June 2014

The key question is do you want to keep handling your own DNS -- are you doing this because you can, or because you need some sort of control over your domains that a third-party service won't provide at the price point you need?

If you don't see any glaring reason to keep your setup going, go with another provider.

If you want to stay the course, PowerDNS with MySQL replication isn't a bad way to go. You can probably throw Poweradmin on top to make your life even easier.

texteditor said: I think it's a 1-2 man show and idk if they bring in enough money to support it

I don't think that's a major possibility. The 'parent company' (GBSHouse) has been around for ages and they've seemed to be expanding in a slow, judicious manner -- not spreading themselves too thin.

If Rage4 puts you off, OP, you could also try Rackspace DNS or Route 53 from Amazon. Edgedirector is also nice, but they aren't anycast.

• Thanks for the input guys

@ihatetonyy , i don't have any particular reason for running the DNS servers. So I think better go with thirdparty so that even I can save on 3 vps and avoid the headache of managing them as well :)

• Edgedirector seems interesting. any one know if they support vanity nameservers? I know I can create vanity ns on Rage4

Now comparing Edgedirector and Rage4 which is better?

• marrcomarrco Member

3) get a biz service from prometeus or iwstack and enjoy free dns service

Thanked by 1praveen
  • I already have iwstack where to get DNS?

• awsonawson Member

ClouDNS.net premium ($2/mo) allows for unlimited zones. I've been using them for a few years now without problems

Thanked by 1praveen
  • praveen said: Now comparing Edgedirector and Rage4 which is better?

I would go with Rage4 because they've got a glorious interface, though I haven't used EdgeDirector's.

Pricing also looks better: 1EUR/million requests + $1/mo (after 250K requests/mo) versus $15/million requests.

praveen said: I already have iwstack where to get DNS?

http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1375

Thanked by 1praveen
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

said: I am facing difficulty in managing the zones like add new , edit records etc

What is the difficulty? Maybe you didn't think about how to automate your setup better? For example I run 3 nameservers at different providers myself, to add a record I edit one text file (the zonefile) on my home machine, then run one script. The script then takes care of pushing the changed zonefile to all three DNS servers, rebuilding the NSD3 databases there and restarting the NSD3s. In effect this is faster than the time required to even login into some crappy web NS management panel of a third party service.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited June 2014

@praveen, I have tried many, many, many DNS services (including Rage4, Edgedirector, CloudNS, DollarDNS, PowerDNS Hosted, Hurricane Electric free, Namecheap, NameSilo, etc etc etc) and have self-hosted as well years ago, to support 200+ domains.

1) Edgedirector and Rage4 are both awesome

2) Edgedirector can get awesomely expensive if you have a lot of queries (millions) -- there is nothing free with this service. They won't act as a "slave" and won't allow other slaves -- with them you are "all in." They are unicast, but offer true Global Load Balancing, Failover, and High Availability.

3) Rage4 is very good and cost-effective. Free Rage4 (by having services from Prometeus) is unbeatable ... I have tested the sh!t out of Rage4 and so far so good. And, as @gbshouse will be quick to mention: it is Anycast. And, allows other "slaves"

4) CloudNS is better as slave (requires Premium account, but that is low cost and gives unlimited zones). They occasionally have promos to make it even cheaper. They do have occasional hiccups so I cannot recommend being "all in" with just CloudNS

5) If you want ultimate control, run at least one "hidden" Master (PowerDNS with PowerAdmin or Bind or whatever you like) with 3rd party "slaves" that are the ones actually named in the NS records

There are also some basic DNS comparisons here.

Most all DNS services get attacked on a regular basis. Which is why I don't recommend self-hosted alone.

Bottom line IMHO: there is NEVER anything wrong with redundancy, combine them when possible (but purists will caution to keep Anycast with Anycast and don't combine it with Unicast).

Cheers

Thanked by 2gbshouse praveen

ihatetonyy said: http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1375

geekalot said: Free Rage4 (by having services from Prometeus) is unbeatable

Yeah except at the end of that thread there's a question about the service which is unanswered since November-2013. Shows to what extent you can rely on "unbeatable" free services.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited June 2014

@rm_ said:
    Yeah except at the end of that thread there's a question about the service which is unanswered since November-2013. Shows to what extent you can rely on "unbeatable" free services.

@rm_, I looked at your link and that is related to DNS4Pro, not Rage4. Please correct me if I am wrong. I did not mention DNS4Pro (though it might share some infrastructure with Rage4, not sure, maybe @Maounique can clarify)

I do not work for @prometeus, so followup with them. If you don't like what a Free service offers, you are always free to get a Paid one.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2014

rm_ said: Yeah except at the end of that thread there's a question about the service which is unanswered since November-2013. Shows to what extent you can rely on "unbeatable" free services.

Interesting.
    It was answered by the guy that manages the service directly to the guy. At least this is what he said when I pointed it out to him. He is the one following the thread.

geekalot said: @rm_, I looked at your link and that is related to DNS4Pro, not Rage4. Please correct me if I am wrong. I did not mention DNS4Pro (though it might share some infrastructure with Rage4, not sure, maybe @Maounique can clarify)

Yes, there are 2 kinds of free DNS we provide.
    One is a "friendly brand" dns4.pro which is managed by a friend of ours who wrote the whmcs integration too. Those services are not linked to any product, it is enough to open an account in whmcs to use them (sure, you can go directly to dns4.pro too) and will work after you cancelled all products, except if you wish your account to be closed. dns4.pro does not share infrastructure with rage4, at least not that I know.

Rage4 is a different thing, we buy service from them (as partners) and give for free (paid version is available too if you have no product that qualifies) to selected customers (Biz&IWStack plans). This means full product description and provisioning in whmcs, as well as termination when the product it is linked to is terminated.

@rm_ Even if you would have been correct, our products (paid or free) are unmanaged, the forum is also not a place to request official help. If you wish to start a personal vendetta, just say so, I am available.

Thanked by 2marrco Infinity

Maounique said: Interesting.

It was answered by the guy that manages the service directly to the guy. At least this is what he said when I pointed it out to him. He is the one following the thread.

And I only pointed out what impression having questions hanging like that creates to the outside public. At least could have posted "Answered privately" in the thread, or something.

Maounique said: If you wish to start a personal vendetta

O_O what. And here I thought you are taking your medication seriously now became somewhat more reasonable. :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Maounique said:
    rm_ Even if you would have been correct, our products (paid or free) are unmanaged, the forum is also not a place to request official help. If you wish to start a personal vendetta, just say so, I am available.

Sometimes, I think you just go looking for fights :-/

edited June 2014

rm_ said: And I only pointed out what impression having questions hanging like that creates to the outside public.

The forum needs to be redone. For a long time (almost a year) registration is locked and there are a few problems with it. However, that needs a lot of time, no ETA.

Nekki said: Sometimes, I think you just go looking for fights :-/

It is not the first time he is attacking me. I think it started in the times when OVH started the 3 Eur atom line and he was trying to prove that when I say that is not sustainable, I do it because I am afraid I will die of hunger since i work for a provider. There were a few more incidents and now again he tries to involve prometeus in his attacks.
    Involving prometeus is not fair because I do not represent prometeus here, I only help people with info from inside and reply questions. I thought this is good for LET and prometeus customers, if there is a problem with that, will stop talking about the subject and only tell people to open tickets if interested in something.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • rds100rds100 Member

@Maounique he's usually negative towards everything, just try to ignore him :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Maounique said: t is not the first time he is attacking me. I think it started in the times when OVH started the 3 Eur atom line and he was trying to prove that when I say that is not sustainable, I do it because I am afraid I will die of hunger since i work for a provider. There were a few more incidents and now again he tries to involve prometeus in his attacks.

As @rds100 says, @rm_'s just miserable sod at times, I strongly doubt he's really got any issue with you, he just makes his points very strongly and bluntly.

Thanked by 1Maounique
    edited June 2014

Maounique said: It is not the first time he is attacking me.

Pointing out a potential communication issue at some forum of a company at which I didn't think you even work anymore (at least your sig used to say you don't represent them) == ATTACKING YOU? Seriously?

In any case, just take it easy and relax man, if that relieves you, I can say that you are one of the members of this forum for whom I do have quite a lot of respect, and can't even say "even though disagree", not remembering much recently where I would. (and stop dragging your memories of the OVH-related flamewar with you for years, also they are not even correct as I did not say most of what you now try to attribute to me... maybe mistaking for someone else).

Thanked by 1Maounique
    edited June 2014

OK, peace, man!
    To clarify, my company provides services for prometeus group, but I have no official quality as PR or anything, uncle left to me what I say here, since there is nothing to hide. I usually do this to help people and does not mean I am biased more than in the sense that I know almost everything about prometeus and less about others, mostly from direct experience. So, while I comment about other providers, that is as an individual elaborating personal theories based on personal experience and similar cases I saw over the years.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

I like djbdns, it's small and very easy to setup in a master/slave config. I use vegadns for administration and when something changes, it automatically syncs the new DNS data via rsync.

• rds100rds100 Member

tomle said: djbdns

Nooo, please. Let this horrible software die already.

• Off-topic: @Maouinque Are you John when it comes to replying Prometeus ticket? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss in public. I am just curious.

Maounique said: selected customers (Biz&IWStack plans)

Does that mean as long as we have an IWStack account, even if we don't have any VPS running we will still get the IWStack service? And if I have both Biz and IWStack, cancelling Biz would still make the rage4 stays?

@praveen I use Cloudflare for a lot of things, most of my sites don't need SSL nor they ever gets DDOSed (knock on the wood) so Cloudflare is good enough for me. Very quick configuration and normally any record changes are in effect in like less than 5 minutes. And you get free CDN as well. For the one site I had to use SSL, I just disabled the Cloudflare CDN so I lost the CDN feature but got the SSL to work for free.

Thanked by 1praveen
    edited June 2014

zhuanyi said: Off-topic: @Maouinque Are you John when it comes to replying Prometeus ticket? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss in public. I am just curious.

That is no secret, yes, I am John, but that has nothing to do with my real name. It came as a joke when I was talking with Uncle about colaboration in this new project he was doing, he asked me about name and I made John Deer to joke about the Dear John letter he will send me when finding out is not possible to trust some anonymous person in Romania (not even confirmed) he knew in an internet forum.

zhuanyi said: Does that mean as long as we have an IWStack account, even if we don't have any VPS running we will still get the IWStack service? And if I have both Biz and IWStack, cancelling Biz would still make the rage4 stays?

Yes, it will stay in all of those cases.

Thanked by 1praveen
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

@rds100 said:
    Nooo, please. Let this horrible software die already.

Care to explain? It's working perfectly fine for me with some patches for IPv6 support.

• rds100rds100 Member

@tomle i've seen a lot of random breakage from customers who used it for recursive resolvers. It's an old unmaintained software. The configuration syntax is also... let's say "strange". Granted it was probably written by a mad genius, but still every software used in production needs to be maintained.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

@rds100 said:
    tomle i've seen a lot of random breakage from customers who used it for recursive resolvers. It's an old unmaintained software. The configuration syntax is also... let's say "strange". Granted it was probably written by a mad genius, but still every software used in production needs to be maintained.

Only using it as an authoritative DNS-server and it's been fine, never had any issues. Just set it up once and then do all the changes through vegadns. Plus is that it doesn't need to be restarted if you change some records and the transfer of the records is automatic through make/rsync. Running some DNS-servers on small VPS and they are only using 32MB of memory in total!

• To get back on topic, I use digital ocean and cloud flare's DNS. Don't really want to dedicate a box/muddle another box with them out of my current arsenal and there aren't many very micro (32MB or less) instances with an IPv4 about at a good price. Both are free (although cloud flare has paid) and work great for me. DigitalOceans I like in particular, just use cloud flare for some ipv6 tunnelling.

• amhoabamhoab Member

I've been managing my zones with Bind for the past few years, but recently started migrating over to Cloudflare. Despite some issues with their zone file importer, the service so far has been great.

• For years I used a free web host to manage all my domains, however now everything has been fine on cloudns with no downtime.