Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

windows xp guest on kvm vps, strange issue with 4 cpu cores, but 2 cores is ok
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

windows xp guest on kvm vps, strange issue with 4 cpu cores, but 2 cores is ok

hotsnowhotsnow Veteran

fresh xp sp3 pro os system, it appears have strange issue with 4 cpu cores, the system become so lag/freeze no matter any operation, even click "My Computer", need wait about 20 seconds, and all the 4 cores have frequently abnormal load by monitoring the task manager,

I have also tried install the fresh xp os again, same issue exist.

I then made a test, force the system use only 2 cores by use the windows "msconfig" command to modify the boot.ini advanced parameters "/NUMPROC=2", the xp system becomes normal again, this issue disappear,

this is so odd, perhaps the xp can't working well if more than 2 cores in the QEMU KVM environment? or need adjust some other cpu parameters? I haven't found similar issues on the google.

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2014

There is a difference if the cpu is presented as 1 socket and 4 cores, vs 4 sockets, 1 core each, xp can only see 2 sockets. It might be an issue there, something being abnormal in config.

• Not to harp on using XP, but I feel the issue might be XP. XP SP3 was released 6 years ago - that's like using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. Does XP have the drivers for a modern QEMU KVM environment?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

yeah given that it is end of life running XP is kind of like running debian 5 and expecting no issues.

on topic though I think Mao is correct you need to get your host to pin cores from a single socket they will need to manually edit the xml/cfg file.

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran
    edited June 2014

@AnthonySmith said:

on topic though I think Mao is correct you need to get your host to pin cores from a single socket they will need to manually edit the xml/cfg file.

on the begin, it's 4 sockets and each have 1 core, although windows xp can only use 2 cores, but have no issues,

after changed to 1 socket with 4 cores, windows xp can now use all the 4 cores, but have this lag/freeze issue now.

I don't know whether it works if changed again to 2 sockets and each have 2 cores :(

• Silvenga said: Not to harp on using XP, but I feel the issue might be XP. XP SP3 was released 6 years ago - that's like using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. Does XP have the drivers for a modern QEMU KVM environment?

I'm glad that 8.04 is FINALLY EoL.