Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Install OS on SSD or a HDD?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Install OS on SSD or a HDD?

InsidieaInsidiea Member
edited May 2012 in Help

I right now have a Dedicated server for a minecraft server with a normal 500GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD, I can add an additional SSD drive, but should I tell the Data Center to install the OS on the SSD or just leave it installed on the HDD and mount the SSD and put all of my Minecraft files there?
If I leave the OS installed on the HDD I won't have to reconfigure everything and it will save me some time.

Do you think it will make a difference performance wise?

Also, how does this SSD look, they charge an extra 5 dollars a month for it, so it's not that pricey although I am kinda put off at the read/write speeds.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FTM32G525V

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Well, you can mount MC in the SSD.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • @netomx said: Well, you can mount MC in the SSD.

Yeah I could, but would it get better performance if the OS was installed on it?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I dont think so. Thats why it caches all in RAM

• SpencerSpencer Member

If you use the SSD for minecraft you will get better performance but it will be negligible. We run the OS and Minecraft on the same SSD on all of our nodes. No issues there.

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited May 2012

Won't matter.

I had a Super Talent SSD with YesUp and they are absolute junk. In fact the Super Talent SSDs were SLOWER than the HDD!

That SSD is rated at 45 MB/s write, which is going to bottleneck you with Minecraft. I guarantee that your HDD is faster at writes. I would install the OS on the SSD and use the HDD for the MC files, since the HDD is faster. Either that or ask your host to change out that cheap Super Talent trash.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@NateN34 said: That SSD is rated at 45 MB/s write, which is going to bottleneck you with Minecraft. I guarantee that your HDD is faster at writes

MC is about IOP/s, not MB/sec

• SpencerSpencer Member

@Francisco said: MC is about IOP/s, not MB/sec

Exactly. On our server we had sata2 drives with high MB/sec which was soo bad. Until I got SSD with high IOP/s