Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean vs Vultr - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean vs Vultr

2»

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

DigitalOcean of course. Can't beat free :)

Thanked by 2Maounique alexvolk
  • I would go with DO because of the tutorials and support provided by the people who use them.

• Deployment is faster with DO.

• trvztrvz Member

Since their launch, Vultr has always been better than DO.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@trvz said:
    Since their launch, Vultr has always been better than DO.

I know, but now, with price increases, even with DO cutting a lot of their freebies, even without lowering CPU, DO wins by price.

• nightshadenightshade Member
    edited June 2015

Having used both DigitalOcean and Vutlr here is my opinion.

Installs seem to be faster on Vultr. Never actually timed them but can't count how many times I was waiting on that 55 second DO droplet creation.

System maintenance (updates and such) is easier on Vultr. Vultr turns on unattened updates by default. You can update the kernel inside the vps without having to do it in the vps and control panel like you do with DO.

One thing that is nice about Vultr is I think all the datacenters are setup the same. DO you may have to pick a datacenter that supports cloud-init or ipv6 etc.

DigitalOcean has much better user messages board and participation and howtos.

As far as performance and price goes a few months ago Vultr would blow DigitalOcean out of the water. With the degraded performance and price increases they are about the same.

Just to give you an idea of the performance drop I ran some unixbench test. My fully running 768 vultr mail server scored 2179 on Unix Bench. Clean 768 with new downgraded hardware scored 1422. Looking at Vultr benchmarks I would need the $20 ($16 sale price) plan to get about same benchmark scores as my $5 plan.

Even with downgrades and price increase I would still pick Vultr between the two.

Thanked by 1erkin
  • erkinerkin Member

Very well explained @nightshade .

Never used vultr and never experienced anything bad with DO.

• The verification process for DO is why I chose Vultr over it in the past but sadly I left because of the changes.

• nightshadenightshade Member
    edited June 2015

Wonder what Vultr looks at when the decide what info is needed to unlock port 25. I asked about the procedure to remove the block and they just replied back to me that the bock has been removed.

I have never had to provide any more information other than my credit card number to activate the accounts on DO or vultr.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

Folks here might find them useful, did my own benchmarks for DO vs Vultr vs Linode https://community.centminmod.com/threads/digitalocean-vs-vultr-vs-linode-benchmark-compare.2889/

Also for Vultr Dedicated Cloud
    https://community.centminmod.com/threads/vultr-dedicated-cloud-vs-vultr-performance-vps-benchmarks.3163/

For Vultr seems nice if you can get the 3.6Ghz instances or Vultr Dedicated Cloud otherwise the lower clocked 2.4Ghz instances performance is closer to DO.

• Thanks George as usual.

• CaKooooCaKoooo Member
    edited June 2015

vultr is the best :)...for me xD

• Both are good companies in my opinion. They both you can't go wrong with either of them. Though they do offer different locations and some different features. For me it depends on what I need at the moment

• HybridHybrid Member
    edited June 2015

I can't use a debit card on DO, so I voted for vultr

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2015

I like turtles.

Seriously: It seems as if you cannot say who is "better". It is mostly depending on your needs concerning special features, sympathy and company policy. I met Ben Uretsky in real life once and he was quite a nice guy. I met David Aninowsky in virtual life and think that he's quite a dick character. So I would be with DO if I had to choose.

Thanked by 1jar
  • UmairUmair Member

I would say both are doing a pretty amazing job. Both deserves a thumbs up :)

Lately I have been testing a site thatuses tons of resources (its based on WP but they way things are done and few plugins beat the crap out of any server). Consider it a lil dirty project of me and a friend of mine.

Anyway, purely comparing "performance", that site is working pretty amazingly on Vultr on their 4C/8GB instance. The same setup was used on DO and the result was less favorable. (It works but not that smooth).

Now I don't want to start a fight here between who is best and who is not, but to me the CPU performance I got from Vultr was a bit more than that of DO. (same setup used)
    Could be a lucky coincidence, but hey, that's my observation after testing for last 3 weeks.

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited June 2015

After the last few dramatic incidents that Vultr pulled on LET, I'd much prefer hosting with Digital Ocean. However, as long as Vultr continues to have better and more things to offer than DO, I'll have no choice but to stick with Vultr for the time being.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited June 2015

Maounique said: even without lowering CPU, DO wins by price.

DigitalOcean have 1.8Ghz at Frankfurt. Specific model is

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650L v3 @ 1.80GHz
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2015

@kcaj said:
    DigitalOcean have 1.8Ghz at Frankfurt. Specific model is

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650L v3 @ 1.80GHz

I am not sure what you mean. Vultr has better CPU in average, still and will probably continue to. However, DO still has more freebies and their VMs are stable and do the job. If you do not absolutely need better cpu or more location/IPv6 in all, ISo freedom etc, DO is still the way to go while it looked like lagging behind overall. Vultr was cheaper, had more locations, had more IPv6, better CPU, apart from larger community and better KB, DO was really lagging behind in most aspects, but this changed and may change further, Vultr is lowering the CPU and hiking the prices, so, at this time, better go with the more experienced and tested provider is most other things are comparable. DO still has more freebies, while vultr does begin to look like OVH in some aspects.
    Yeah, I like Vultr, especially choice, but everyone must admit DO is way more predictable.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Pwner said: After the last few dramatic incidents that Vultr pulled on LET, I'd much prefer hosting with Digital Ocean.

Yes, Vultr has been a jerk here.

Plus, they refused to deny that they provision disk as RAID-0, which is insane.

• vultr is best for me, have bad experience with DO.

i guess DO now is oversold.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

andiklive said: have bad experience with DO.

Standing offer to investigate any issues and do everything within my power to make up for any problems that you may have had, just open a ticket or send me a PM here any time :)

• Vultr standout features: Floating IP, iPXE booting
    DO standout features: very fast provisioning, images can be transferred between regions
    Vultr's biggest drawback: provisioning very slow (takes up to 5 minutes)

• tommytommy Member

solibra said: Vultr's biggest drawback: provisioning very slow (takes up to 5 minutes)

5 MINUTES OMG !!!