Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Automatic File Renamer which runs in background for Windows?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Automatic File Renamer which runs in background for Windows?

FreekFreek Member
edited May 2012 in General

I'm looking for a tool which runs in the background checking a folder and if it finds files in the folder, it should automatically rename the files to the following syntax:
day_month_hours_minutes_seconds.filext regardless of what the filename was at first.
So johndoe.txt should be renamed to 24_5_22_18_36.txt for example.
I tried using a batch file, but the problem with those is that you can't run them continuously the background, AFAIK. I also found this: http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php but the problem remains the same.
Tips are appreciated :)

Thanks!

Comments

• AsadAsad Member

Linux noob, write a bash script or something.

• antivenantiven Member

@AsadHaider said: Linux noob, write a bash script or something.

"Automatic File Renamer which runs in background for Windows?"

• AsadAsad Member

Batch script then?

• AldryicAldryic Member

@AsadHaider said: Batch script then?

@Freek said: I tried using a batch file, but the problem with those is that you can't run them continuously the background, AFAIK.

• The Windows command prompt isn't that advance.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@AsadHaider said: Linux noob, write a bash script or something.

Windows, so s/bash/PowerShell/

Honestly, when I'm stuck using Windows I just use C# as a scripting language...firing up VisualStudio (Express is fine for most things) and writing a quick C# program is about as fast.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited May 2012

Run it as a service?

If you have visual studio or eclipse, write a quick c#/java program.

• antivenantiven Member

OP: Try using a batch file with this:

The START command in Windows command line allows you to start another command window running any command; and the /B option can start the command without the extra command window, so you get similar behavior to Unix's background processes.

from tomshardware.com/forum/34598-45-windows-command-background-unix

• nabonabo Member
    edited May 2012

@Daniel said: The Windows command prompt isn't that advance.

Maybe with XP in 2001. But there's PowerShell. ;-)

@Freek said: Tips are appreciated :)

Have a look at the Powershell. Especially the Rename-Item Cmdlet.

• @nabo said: Maybe with XP in 2001. But there's PowerShell. ;-)

Still, the UNIX Terminal > PowerShell.

Microsoft stopped all development pretty much of Command Prompt, whilst the UNIX Terminal has constantly been evolving and is still a daily part of a UNIX users life, even on OS X it is the most used Application.

• nabonabo Member

@Daniel said: Microsoft stopped all development pretty much of Command Prompt

AFAIK, the Powershell is the new Command-Prompt. And its quite versatile and actively developed. Of course, it's not as standard as on *NIX, but mainly because Windows is GUI-centered. I guess the different historic backgrounds are one of the main reasons.

• @nabo said: AFAIK, the Powershell is the new Command-Prompt. And its quite versatile and actively developed. Of course, it's not as standard as on *NIX, but mainly because Windows is GUI-centered. I guess the different historic backgrounds are one of the main reasons.

I guess, on OS X/Linux/BSD there are many task you still have to rely on the Terminal for, where Windows tried to put it all in a GUI.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited May 2012

@Freek do you have Java installed?

Here's a quick Java program I've written which does exactly what you want: http://pastebin.com/rUYt3eu3

Change filesDir and convertedDir to your two directories. Drag files into filesDir directory, they'll be moved to the convertedDir directory with the new filename and original extension.

Compile it and run using Windows scheduled tasks every five minutes or something.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@nabo said: Maybe with XP in 2001. But there's PowerShell. ;-)

Actually XP already offered Powershell as a PowerToy.

• aubsaubs Member

Have a google for something call "Rename Master" ... I used it years ago, it may have an auto feature. Was pretty good then, but I didn't need it to do the job automatically.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Daniel said: Microsoft stopped all development pretty much of Command Prompt, whilst the UNIX Terminal has constantly been evolving and is still a daily part of a UNIX users life, even on OS X it is the most used Application.

You're completely wrong...on both sides, actually.

None of the Unix shells (I assume that's what you mean by "UNIX Terminal") have evolved much in decades. It's not like new features are being frequently added to bash or ksh. I would not describe Unix shells as "constantly evolving".

However, that's exactly how I'd described Microsoft PowerShell. If anything, Microsoft has been moving a lot more in the direction of command line, especially with the upcoming Server 8.

PS is quite different than bash or ksh, but it's completely CLI. Example from Wikipedia:

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

I was more referring to the CLI Tools, which are constantly evolving and the amount of them.

The amount of tools and programs available means you can theoretically do anything from a *NIX terminal, and the amount of programs is huge, something Windows does not have.

I might be wrong, but isn't Command Prompt still the default?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Well, how about command prompt & task scheduler? That will make the job

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said: None of the Unix shells (I assume that's what you mean by "UNIX Terminal") have evolved much in decades. It's not like new features are being frequently added to bash or ksh. I would not describe Unix shells as "constantly evolving".

It's not really possible to accurately compare the two. UNIX-like systems rely on the 'small tool for each task' philosophy which means the shell is really just the shell and there's not much to evolve, whereas in Windows it seems to be more of a monolithic thing.

A notable example is findstr in Windows, which is a binary that looks suspiciously much like grep.

• FreekFreek Member

I found the solution:
    I downloaded 'Directory Monitor', which monitors the directory for new files/changes and then starts my batch file which I wrote using 'Bulk rename command'

Thanks