Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4 post rack shelf suggestions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

4 post rack shelf suggestions

Just looking for suggestions on a basic shelf for a 4 post rack. It can be fixed, no sliding or anything special but needs to support about 100+ pounds.

I found this but always open to something better/cheaper that will do the job.

http://rackmountmart.stores.yahoo.net/nera1uslshop.html

I am half temped to make something on my own as I have quite a bit of diamond plate steel laying around.

Comments

• sz1hostingsz1hosting Member
    edited June 2014

Removed, wrong post.

• If it's fixed you can easily make one yourself, I recall seeing a wood one where I used to work!

Ebay might also be another good option, 2nd hand rack stuff is a lot cheaper and not much can go wrong.

• earlearl Member
    edited June 2014

not sure where you are, but i would check craigslist if in the US.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@linuxthefish said:
    If it's fixed you can easily make one yourself, I recall seeing a wood one where I used to work!

Ebay might also be another good option, 2nd hand rack stuff is a lot cheaper and not much can go wrong.

The Ikea lack-rack, I used that but it sort of looks ugly.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • wychwych Member

100lbs+ A UPS?

• @wych said:
    100lbs+ A UPS?

That or servers. Looking to buy 2-3 to have on hand incase colo clients need them for whatever reason.

• wychwych Member

@blackfoxltd said:
    Looking to buy 2-3 to have on hand incase colo clients need them for whatever reason.

Makes sense.

• alexhalexh Member
    edited June 2014

@Infinity said:
    The Ikea lack-rack, I used that but it sort of looks ugly.

I still use these for my audio equipment. I thought they looked pretty good if you stacked a few up. This is pretty clever:

Edit: Ooh, not suitable for datacenter use. Do you have surplus sales from government or anything in your area?

• earlearl Member

i think the OP is looking for a shelf for the rack not the actual rack itself.

• @alexh said:
    Edit: Ooh, not suitable for datacenter use. Do you have surplus sales from government or anything in your area?

Yes for a server rack but that pic is hella nice. :D

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host
    edited June 2014

Not a shelf 100% but does the job for most, check out gruber rails. They're universal.