Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do with a server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What to do with a server

jakelongjakelong Member

Have a server laying around and just nothing to do with it. I had plans of getting it into a DC, but its just to expensive and I can get a OVH server cheaper. Its a bit of a dinosaur, but works.

Specs(From memory):
x2 Xeons(Dont remember model)
32Gb DD2 Ram
HDD: Doesnt really matter since I can put in a 3TB drive if needed.

Or maybe someone has a good collocation deal?

Comments

• darkshiredarkshire Member
    edited June 2014

i seem to remember @concerto49 having some pretty decent colo offers

• GunterGunter Member

i seem to remember @concerto49 having some pretty decent colo offers

I'd be down for a colo if Concerto49 has any offers.

• I don't think our deal would be cheaper than an OVH rented server sadly :(

Is it 1U or 2U? What CPU is it? Just to see how much power it uses.

• Chuck as many 3tb drives in as you can and use for a home torrenting/backup server!

• earlearl Member

@linuxthefish said:
    Chuck as many 3tb drives in as you can and use for a home torrenting/backup server!

Older servers tend too be too loud and generate too much heat to be used as a home server..

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

and usually end up more expensive then a colo.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

earl said: Older servers tend too be too loud and generate too much heat to be used as a home server..

Then it can double up as a spare radiator.

Thanked by 1earl
  • J1021J1021 Member

Did you ever have a use for it?

• earlearl Member

@Nekki said:
    Then it can double up as a spare radiator.

Yes, it's nice and toasty for the winter.. just sucks when you have to take your server down when summer comes around.

• Well I have 2 Dell Poweredge 1950. I honestly done remember the CPU's in them. The cheapest colo i found was through hosthatch, but shipping is so damn expensive to the Netherlands.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Ship it to the UK by sea and then have TNT collect from doc and ship to NL :)

sea freight will be about $40, TNT another $40 (best guess from my shipping days 15 years ago)

• earlearl Member

Volumedrive does $20/mo colo.. at best if your PE1950 is ver 3 maybe a 54XX processor.

• jakelongjakelong Member
    edited June 2014

@earl said:
    Volumedrive does $20/mo colo.. at best if your PE1950 is ver 3 maybe a 54XX processor.

Ya it is a 54XX I am thinking it has dual 5450s

• earlearl Member

@jakelong said:
    Ya it is a 54XX I am thinking it has dual 5450s

I have a PE2950 which I upgraded the CPU to dual X5450, the CPUmark for the dual is 7676, so it's still a capable machine..

• @earl said:

And its just for personal uses. Website hosting and maybe a valve game server once in a while. Do you know its power consumption? Because the VolumeDrive PA DC is very close to me.

• earlearl Member

well.. lets just say it's going to be more than the 1 amp thats included in the plan. Also the kind of ram on those 1950 chews a bit of power.

you're probably going to get into $30-$50/mo to colo it considering it's dual CPU. probably cheaper to just rent. you get some nice specs at that price range.

• wychwych Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    Ship it to the UK by sea and then have TNT collect from doc and ship to NL :)

sea freight will be about $40, TNT another $40 (best guess from my shipping days 15 years ago)

As little as that... useful to know !

• larslars Member
    edited June 2014

Sell it on eBay to someone who actually does need it, problem solved.

• @earl said:
    well.. lets just say it's going to be more than the 1 amp thats included in the plan. Also the kind of ram on those 1950 chews a bit of power.

you're probably going to get into $30-$50/mo to colo it considering it's dual CPU. probably cheaper to just rent. you get some nice specs at that price range.

I pay that much to rent (OVH). So if I can colo it at the price I would be extremely happy.
    I bought these servers for $5 each from some auction.

• earlearl Member

@jakelong said:
    I bought these servers for $5 each from some auction.

That's an awesome deal!

Yeah I'm curious too.. maybe Josh will answer @volumedrive if not just email them from the site.

• Correct, we offer $20 colo but it comes with 1 Amp of 120V. Each additional amp is $15 per month. Do you know what the exact power draw is?

• jakelong said: Dell Poweredge 1950

@volumedrive said:
    Correct, we offer $20 colo but it comes with 1 Amp of 120V. Each additional amp is $15 per month. Do you know what the exact power draw is?

I read that it uses 2 amps on power up and 1.5 amps on idle.

• It would be safe to say then that you'd require 2 amps. Colo with us would be about $35 per month.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

jakelong said: I bought these servers for $5 each from some auction.

While an amazing deal... really, what to do with them? (as you now begin to understand)

Lots of very cute White elephants.

Sell your servers on Ebay to someone else for $7, maybe they will have a basement to colocate them in. :)

• earlearl Member

carlstechshed!! lol.. wish he didn't move, just not the same without the shed.