Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended Setup for a Gameserver Node
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommended Setup for a Gameserver Node

I would like to setup a dedicated gameserver node. What would the recommendations be for virtualisation? I understand gameservers are very CPU and IO heavy. Minecraft in particular is a memory hog I believe. Any other watchouts?

Comments

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

Any location preference?

• Europe to start with. Is XEN the preferred visualization for gameservers?

• If you can take a look at TCAdmin for controlling them. If you are also going with games look at gettings a dedicated box or such as if a ton of io is needed then you can get throttled. Any sort of virtulization can be good. For things that are single thread, ie minecraft, i would suggest dedicatied cores at least while most source games do fine on sharded. The popular simple source games run great on older tech.

Thanked by 1freewebie
  • freewebie said: Is XEN the preferred visualization for gameservers?

I like XEN of the passthrough support on all modern OS's and supported hardware (near native performance). KVM would also work, comparable performance. I would not recommend OpenVZ due to the non dedicated memory and some games (Minecraft) may freak on old kernels - although I know many hosts that use OpenVZ for Minecraft.

Thanked by 1freewebie
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited May 2014

E3's, RAID10 SSD's, multiple gigabit connections etc. VPS node for gameservers or plain server with something like tcadmin or gamecp?

• It depends on what games you plan on running.

• I have been virtualizing my dedicated servers with KVM(previously it was manually but a few months ago I started using KVM with SolusVM for easy management) to host game servers for my gaming community for many years now.With virtio drivers you can get same performance in vps as host node.You also need good DDOS protection for game servers so based on mye xperience I will recommend an SP-64 from OVH + KVM(If you don't want to spend on SolusVM then you can use Feathur as Control Panel since it is free).SP-64 with Hard Raid should be good enough for it.

Thanked by 1freewebie
  • @andreblue said:
    If you can take a look at TCAdmin for controlling them. If you are also going with games look at gettings a dedicated box or such as if a ton of io is needed then you can get throttled. Any sort of virtulization can be good. For things that are single thread, ie minecraft, i would suggest dedicatied cores at least while most source games do fine on sharded. The popular simple source games run great on older tech.

This is true. Even 512MB servers can usually run some SRC games (TF2, for example). However, the linux binaries for SRC games seem to have alot of memory leaks, so be wary of that.

Thanked by 1freewebie
  • @K2Bytes said:
    I have been virtualizing my dedicated servers with KVM(previously it was manually but a few months ago I started using KVM with SolusVM for easy management) to host game servers for my gaming community for many years now.With virtio drivers you can get same performance in vps as host node.You also need good DDOS protection for game servers so based on mye xperience I will recommend an SP-64 from OVH + KVM(If you don't want to spend on SolusVM then you can use Feathur as Control Panel since it is free).SP-64 with Hard Raid should be good enough for it.

Thanks OVH is my primary host so good to hear they are recommended for gameservers. I am already a SolusVM customer so no issue with that.

• I plan to have a general games hosting setup with voice servers etc. I have set up Mumble voice servers and I am pretty familiar with Minecraft. I have used both MSM and Multicraft for Minecraft server hosting before but TCAdmin looks a more rounded solution covering the other multiplayer games also (Call of Duty, Counter Strike etc). My son will be helping me with the games I am less familar with :) Thanks for the advice

• georgegeorge Member
    edited May 2014

I've been using www.bgpanel.net for past couple months, it's pretty good.

Edit: a very basic 24 slot TF2 server with few sourcemod based plugins can eat up to 900MB, so make sure you actually have the resources you need for various type of games.

Thanked by 1freewebie
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Just a question, wouldn't it be better if you just setup a node with tcadmin? Instead of per vps?

If so, please let me know, as I would like to know about it too :D

• I like the idea of a game server per VPS if there is not much overhead from the VE as there is resource separation and protection from the virtualised environment but I am open to seeing how TCAdmin manages multiple game servers in a single VE or dedi server

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Instead of single VE, i'd suggest a single node, and grow from there. At least you will love the "middle man".

• Even if you use a single node i.e. your own dedi server, I would suggest there are benefits in terms of flexibility in virtualising the node and placing the game server in the VE. If resources arent used you can at least reuse the none used resources by putting other VE's in there.

• freewebie said: Even if you use a single node i.e. your own dedi server, I would suggest there are benefits in terms of flexibility in virtualising the node and placing the game server in the VE. If resources arent used you can at least reuse the none used resources by putting other VE's in there.

Yes and no. If you are just going for a few go with tca admin. It does the main resource mangment and such its self

Thanked by 1freewebie
  • Tried TCAdmin and have found it quite messy to use. Is there any native Linux alternative that is popular? Would need Whmcs integration also

thanks
    Paul

• Multicraft?

• Thanks

Yes plan on maybe using multicraft for minecraft. I may though just use Minecraft Server Manager in a VPS container which is really user friendly and powerful.

But for the other role playing and team shooter multiplayer games is there a good Linux open source panel that intergrates with Whmcs?

• ShivamShivam Member

Whats a good dedicated server provider apart from OVH , which offers ddos protection and is affordable , with great uptime. Can't find any good ones with ddos protection

• Our dedicated server minecraft clients seem to do well with an E3 series cpu, SSD in raid 1 or raid 10, and enough RAM to suit their needs (E3 machines max at 32GB). Either Xen or KVM should work well for virtualization.

Thanked by 1freewebie
  • VitaVita Member

I ran a few HLDS and SRCDS game servers on some OpenVZ VPS, but Xen is much better if you don't have the budget for a deicated server. Get minimum 4GB ram, and you'll be good to go with a few full game servers (HLDS and SRCDS). If you are thinking about minecraft+HLDS+SRCDS I would recommend to get a dedicated server if you plan to host something seriously.
    You don't need SSD disks for most games as they don't use the HDD a lot.

Best Regards!

Thanked by 1freewebie