Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr now in Frankfurt (Germany) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr now in Frankfurt (Germany)

2»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

rm_ said: That's a loophole shared by many hourly rate cloud providers,

Anyone with unrealistic prices for overages is SET to do that. If you encounter a provider with those prices, stay away. Many years in 1997-2004 or so times, most providers here had those things, go over the limit, will cost you an arm and a leg, then started doing it with mobile broadband. People simply started avoiding them and I guess it will happen here too, then either the speed will be drastically limited or the overages will not be charged much more then regular traffic.

• J1021J1021 Member

Maounique said: then started doing it with mobile broadband.

Mobile broadband is a completely different technology that naturally comes with the need to set data usage limits.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2014

1e10 said: Mobile broadband is a completely different technology that naturally comes with the need to set data usage limits.

I have unlimited from 2 providers. On one 10 GB full 3g speed (actually, some 3-4 MB) and another only 1 GB, after that speed goes down to 256/128 kbps, but it is till unlimited I can keep it on 24/7.
    That is not even the problem, the problem is the overage that cost an arm and a leg, I would be OK with say, triple prices per GB, but in reality it costs way more. Most of the time the user cannot opt to be throttled or even stopped when the limit is reached, because the idea IS to make him go over the limit so the heavily penalizing fees to be imposed.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2014

1e10 said: Mobile broadband is a completely different technology that naturally comes with the need to set data usage limits.

Tell that Three Austria that sells 100/50Mbit LTE flatrate (yes, real flatrate, no limiting after X GB) at 50EUR. Works fine.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • J1021J1021 Member

William said: Tell that Three Austria that sells 100/50Mbit LTE flatrate (yes, real flatrate, no limiting after X GB) at 50EUR. Works fine.

Yes, does that include tethering? 3 UK do the same and used to include tethering, now they've removed the unlimited tethering from new contracts. It used to work out for 3 UK, they are the smallest operator in the UK and thus could allocate more capacity per customer on their network. Now that they're growing in size though, some parts of their network have real slow-downs. I can get 50Mb/s in one area, and 0.06Mb/s in an area just a few miles down the road.

It's more difficult to add capacity to a mobile network, spectrum limits how many masts they can in one area.

• NavynNavyn Member

Great.

• trexos said: The routing is still very bad, get 100ms from Germany. Wtf?

same here. 100ms from UK too.

• William said: Tell that Three Austria that sells 100/50Mbit LTE flatrate (yes, real flatrate, no limiting after X GB) at 50EUR. Works fine.

they must be proxying or something that seems to good to be true

• TarZZ92 said: they must be proxying or something that seems to good to be true

No, you can disable the proxy and NAT in the Webpanel, then its a dynamic external IP right on the device.

• J1021J1021 Member

William said: No, you can disable the proxy and NAT in the Webpanel, then its a dynamic external IP right on the device.

This is semi-true for 3 UK too. You can set your device to a certain APN and get a public IP that isn't behind a NAT. (I.e. you could open port 80 and host a site)

• TarZZ92 said: they must be proxying or something that seems to good to be true

Nope. Sounds legit.

In the UK I have unlimited LTE on my Three contract for £12.90 per month. Although they don't allow it, I tether my laptop frequently and blast through about 60GB data a month with no issue.

Also they have free roaming in 11 countries which is pretty nice.

• 1e10 said: I can get 50Mb/s in one area, and 0.06Mb/s in an area just a few miles down the road.

Depending on where you live in the UK this isn't terribly uncommon with phones generally, especially a few years ago. It's only been maybe a year or two I've been able to get reliable 3G coverage in my area (and trust me, it's not a good network saturated here).

• J1021J1021 Member

AThomasHowe said: Depending on where you live in the UK this isn't terribly uncommon with phones generally, especially a few years ago. It's only been maybe a year or two I've been able to get reliable 3G coverage in my area (and trust me, it's not a good network saturated here).

It's not a lack of coverage though. I can have 4-5 bars coverage and still get 0.06Mb/s, it's because the mast serving that area is congested.

I live in a built-up area of a city so coverage is generally very good.

• 1e10 said: This is semi-true for 3 UK too. You can set your device to a certain APN and get a public IP that isn't behind a NAT. (I.e. you could open port 80 and host a site)

that would be 3internet.

• ElliotJ said: In the UK I have unlimited LTE on my Three contract for £12.90 per month. Although they don't allow it, I tether my laptop frequently and blast through about 60GB data a month with no issue.

surprised trafficsense aint stopped that.

• J1021J1021 Member

TarZZ92 said: surprised trafficsense aint stopped that.

TrafficSense only operates between 3PM and 12AM, so usage outside of those hours aren't touched by TrafficSense regardless of whether a cell is congested or not. Within those hours TrafficSense will only affect you is the local cell is under x amount of load. If you're in a fairly quite area you can easily rip through upwards of 400GB a month, seen it done before.

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited June 2014

1e10 said: It's not a lack of coverage though. I can have 4-5 bars coverage and still get 0.06Mb/s, it's because the mast serving that area is congested.

That may be true, just adding to your point. Phone reception bars are meaningless btw, all the different manufacturers calculate them differently and none of them tell you how that is - and even if they did it wouldn't make a difference. Source.