Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transfer mail from cPanel to standard dovecot
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Transfer mail from cPanel to standard dovecot

JacobHJacobH Member

Hi,

I am in the process of moving a site including associated e-mails accounts from a cPanel setup to a more simple setup without any control pane.

I will be moving the mail to run a dovecot and exim setup, with roundcube as webmail. However it would be really good if I somehow could copy the e-mail accounts, including username/password and their mail contents to the server.

Do anyone know if this is possible at all or is this a non-trivial thing to do?

Comments

• JacobHJacobH Member

I've had a look at that indeed, however it does not seem to copy over users? It seems you first have to create the user and then copy over the contents of the old mailbox?

• wychwych Member

@JacobH said:
    I've had a look at that indeed, however it does not seem to copy over users? It seems you first have to create the user and then copy over the contents of the old mailbox?

Thats what I took from it too.

• amhoabamhoab Member

The mail users and the mail store are different things. cPanel probably stores its mail user account list in a DB (but not sure), but the mail store is in the home directory. I don't think there's a straightforward way to duplicate that user list, short of recreating accounts.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2014

cPanel stores mail accounts in passwd/shadow files in /home/username/etc/domain. A fresh installation of Dovecot will know nothing of said accounts unless you configure it in the same way and then copy that file/folder structure. I'm told that virtualmin will restore cPanel backups but I don't know if it autoconfigures Dovecot.

• JacobHJacobH Member

Thanks jarland, that might help!