Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Move whole VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Move whole VPS

n1kkon1kko Member

I have a VPS with a few sites running centos and cPanel. What's the easiest way to move to another VPS?

Do I setup the new server with cPanel and copy sites over?

Comments

• BlastVMBlastVM Member

Hi,

The most ideal way would be to install the VPS with cPanel. and then use the Copy Multiple Sites Function. if it was just a standard setup with cPanel. Then you could use rsync.

• Idera's R1Soft Bare Metal Restore but it would cost you a little.If interested you may contact @George_Fusioned

• BlastVMBlastVM Member

Hi,

The most ideal way would be to install the VPS with cPanel. and then use the Copy Multiple Sites Function. if it was just a standard setup without cPanel. Then you could use rsync. If anyone else has a better way I'd love to hear it :)

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • n1kkon1kko Member
    edited May 2014

Both XEN so will setup new cPanel and configure the server. Then copy multiple sites. Just takes too damn long :(

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

if it is Xen you could always simply ask your host to upload a copy of your disk image somewhere and then your new host can import it, bit of a pita but not hard.

• rds100rds100 Member

Customer: - Please upload an image of my 50GB VPS somewhere so i can download it.
    Host: - Sure, right away.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@rds100 been there done that, like I said not hard just a pita :)

Also it can be shrunk to a more practical size first :), then obviously if both hosts use solusvm the host can simply provide a copy of the backup tar.gz file

• J1021J1021 Member

rds100 said: Customer: - Please upload an image of my 50GB VPS somewhere so i can download it.

Host: - Sure, right away.

Transferring a 50GB file at 100Mb/s (feasible if both hosts are using 1Gb/s connections) would take just over an hour.

• wychwych Member

@n1kko said:

Do I setup the new server with cPanel and copy sites over?

Yes, depending on port speed and full size.

As Anthony said you could also ask the host to tar.gz your VPS.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

1e10 said: Transferring a 50GB file at 100Mb/s (feasible if both hosts are using 1Gb/s connections) would take just over an hour.

In a perfect world. Of course, nodes will be using bandwidth, so you are looking at half of that speed even.