Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 tunnel broker with OpenVPN on OpenVZ - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 tunnel broker with OpenVPN on OpenVZ

Comments

• Any idea how I can get this working with SoftEther and dnsmasq? (http://blog.lincoln.hk/blog/2013/05/17/softether-on-vps-using-local-bridge/)

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

heiska said: What's your problem with SixXS? I've been running a AYIYA tunnel with one of their POP's since 2010 and it has been down like 2-3 times over the years. It's almost as stable as a Prometeus VPS node, and it works on absolutely anything: NAT, tethered mobile 3G, and the wireless network at my uni.

Is not about uptime (nodes aren't hosted by them anyway). It is about them being as arrogant as they can.

Examples?

Many more examples which I prefer not to spend my time on, some of them personal experience. They can't be trusted and looks like they really enjoy making people's lives harder.

heyits_bob said: Try adding an & after the sit > dev/null (I had to do that in order to get it to work)

Thanks, it was a typo on my end. Corrected now :)

Thanked by 2rm_ switsys
  • trexostrexos Member
    edited June 2014

@Nyr
    I tried it and I got IPv6 working on my VPS, I installed OpenVPN with your installer and edited my /etc/openvpn/server.conf file on my VPS. I did a restart on OpenVPN and tried connecting via my Windows OpenVPN client. I get a connection and IPv4 works, but IPv6 not.

• sc754sc754 Member

@trexos said:
    Nyr
    I tried it and I got IPv6 working on my VPS, I installed OpenVPN with your installer and edited my /etc/openvpn/server.conf file on my VPS. I did a restart on OpenVPN and tried connecting via my Windows OpenVPN client. I get a connection and IPv4 works, but IPv6 not.

Do you get a ipv6 address and can you ping the openvpn servers ipv6 addresses? That's how far I've got. Not sure how to get ipv6 sites working :S

• trexostrexos Member

@sc754 said:
    Do you get a ipv6 address and can you ping the openvpn servers ipv6 addresses? That's how far I've got. Not sure how to get ipv6 sites working :S

Where do I see if I got an IPv6 adress? And I can't ping the IP under Client IPv6 Address from one of my IPv6 VPSs, it says "uknown host"

• sc754sc754 Member

@trexos said:
    Where do I see if I got an IPv6 adress? And I can't ping the IP under Client IPv6 Address from one of my IPv6 VPSs, it says "uknown host"

ipconfig on windows cmd window. ping -6 in the same cmd window will let you ping ipv6 addresses if they work. You can try pinging the public ipv6(s) of the server your hosting the openvpn server on.

• trexostrexos Member

@sc754 said:
    ipconfig on windows cmd window. ping -6 in the same cmd window will let you ping ipv6 addresses if they work. You can try pinging the public ipv6(s) of the server your hosting the openvpn server on.

Ah I misunderstood you. Yes, ipconfig shows IPv6 entrys for me. I tried pinging IPv6 google and this didn't work.

• sc754sc754 Member

@trexos said:
    Ah I misunderstood you. Yes, ipconfig shows IPv6 entrys for me. I tried pinging IPv6 google and this didn't work.

Same with mine, maybe we need to set some ipv6 iptables rules

sc754 said: maybe we need to set some ipv6 iptables rules

No need for ip6tables since there is no NAT and you get assigned public IPv6 addresses. Problem must be anywhere else.

• trexostrexos Member

@Nyr said:
    No need for ip6tables since there is no NAT and you get assigned public IPv6 addresses. Problem must be anywhere else.

I use my bandwagonhost vps in NL if that helps. TUN/TAP is activated

• heiskaheiska Member

@Nyr On the quoted wiki article you claim that AICCU is "pain in the ass to set up for any kind of dynamic network". That's not true. It doesn't get easier than with AICCU.

Nyr said: Me contacting them as Nyr (is my identity for all my Internet presence) to their support department and they refusing to help and just replying "Please configure your mail client with a real name".

It appears to me that you were too arrogant to even read the instructions on the contact page.

What to do when contacting SixXS?
    We ask you to respect the following when contacting us:
    -Use your complete real name in both the message and the from address, thus configure your mail client correctly.

heiska said: On the quoted wiki article you claim that AICCU is "pain in the ass to set up for any kind of dynamic network". That's not true. It doesn't get easier than with AICCU.

It is. If you start AICCU and later switch networks, the daemon doesn't notice at all. You need to reconnect manually if you want to fix the tunnel. Also, it hasn't been updated for many, many years.

The OpenVPN solution is much more bulletproof since it detects changes on the network and keeps the tunnel as long as you have connectivity to the Internet.

heiska said: Use your complete real name in both the message and the from address, thus configure your mail client correctly.

That's bullshit, my mail client is correctly configured. My opinion on them doesn't change even a bit, you can't rely on them and that's a fact.

Thanked by 1johnkoozle
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

SixXS are the SixXS admin is well-known to absolutely enjoy acting as a BOFH, there are countless horror stories (or just rants) about that all over the internet. Rejecting, banning users, deleting tunnels for the most superficial reasons possible, then acting absolutely anal in E-mail communications. But hey, whatever works for them, on our side we just have the choice of not using the service. Not as if they were the only game in town, HE.net will happily provide you a tunnel with none of such bullshit whatsoever. If you can't use HE.net's protocol 41 tunnels due to being behind an ISP NAT, then just use any LEB as an intermediate jump-point from you to the HE tunnel.

Thanked by 4Nyr switsys tommy netomx
  • petrispetris Member

I'd go with HE just because they own all their POPs. I just had the unfortunate situation where a pop was disabled (Burstnet...) with SiXXS. No email or anything, nor any kind of automatic reassignment to another pop. Just... Nothing. I just now had to request a NEW tunnel to "fix" this.

• trexostrexos Member

@Nyr could I help you by providing logs or anything else?

@trexos said:
    Nyr could I help you by providing logs or anything else?

I got multiple boxes with it7 in NL and will try to set it up during the following days since many people is reporting problems, but the setup is pretty simple, I don't know what could be wrong :S

Thanked by 2trexos heyits_bob

Hey, @trexos, didn't forgot about you.

You were correct, this setup doesn't work on it7 containers. Not sure about what could be causing this, but this isn't working on one of my it7 boxes either. Must be something weird since I get routes to my box but not to the Internet via OpenVPN. From the server the tunnel works perfectly.

Will take a more extensive look later.

Okay, so long history short: I did enable IPv6 forwarding on my first setup but then written the wiki out of memory and missed it. Today I just copy-pasted the wiki so it didn't work.

Morale of the story: don't blindly copy and paste to a terminal ;) Wiki has been edited, @trexos.

• trexostrexos Member

@Nyr awesome! Thank you very much :) will try it as soon as I come home :)

• trexostrexos Member
    edited June 2014

@Nyr did you get it working on IT7 containers with your updated tutorial?

@trexos said:
    Nyr did you get it working on IT7 containers with your updated tutorial?

Yes, the only problem was forwarding missing from the wiki.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@Nyr I was told by my VPS provider that I can use Usable Range: 2602:ffca:a:6612:0000:0000:0000:0003 - 2602:ffca:a:6612:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff /48 How do I find out a /64 for the tunnel?

• dnwkdnwk Member

I am using server-ipv6 2602:ffca:a:6612::3/64 right now. and try server-ipv6 2602:ffca:a:6612::/64 and server-ipv6 2602:ffca:a:6612:2414::/64
    Both doesn't route any IPv6 traffic

• I have tried this. I can connect to the VPN but IPv6 access is still a dream. May be, I might have missed something out, but I can not ping any public IPv6.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@guitarfire said:
    I have tried this. I can connect to the VPN but IPv6 access is still a dream. May be, I might have missed something out, but I can not ping any public IPv6.

Me too

dnwk said: 2602:ffca:a:6612:0000:0000:0000:0003 - 2602:ffca:a:6612:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff /48

Tell them that's not a /48.

dnwk said: 2602:ffca:a:6612::/64

This should work if they really routed the subnet for you.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@Nyr said:

Is @Jade_G the handle for NodeServ? Check @Nyr's comment.

• Jade_GJade_G Member

@dnwk said:
    Is Jade_G the handle for NodeServ? Check Nyr's comment.

We route our IPv6 for KVM as a whole /48 and allow each client to utilize that /48 and use a /64 of it. We do this because it makes it easier to keep track of. You indeed can use a /64 of it though.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@Jade_G said:

So, the /48 should wrote as 2602:ffca:a:6612::/48?
    I just need little help setup an OpenVPN IPv6 Tunnel

dnwk said: So, the /48 should wrote as 2602:ffca:a:6612::/48?

No, that's a /64.

If 2602:ffca:a:6612::/64 is routed for you, then use that subnet. Just make sure IPv6 is properly configured on your VM and the subnet is routed for the VM.