Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a cheap vps that supports tor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a cheap vps that supports tor

brobro Member
edited May 2014 in Requests

A lot of the sites I use and wish to browse anonymously have begun to block tor and it's related IPs, or the majority of them anyway.
As a result I want one that I can both surf from an alternative IP, and one that I can also use tor on.
I'm not trying to set anything up and prefer windows.
I don't need much bandwidth as I won't be watching videos or anything.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

You can do that from home, just use a Tor bundle for Tor and a normal browser for non-Tor browsing. You can stop relaying traffic and you wont be listed as Tor IP.

Thanked by 1cidero
  • trexostrexos Member

Nearly every provider allows that as long as you don't run exit nodes. I wouldn't recommend as well.

• lol @ your... erm... image...

You will generally have a better chance of finding a provider without the "tor node" part. Tor is great, but a lot providers don't like it due to the IP blacklisting it causes.

• As a VPN? Nearly any provider.

• trexostrexos Member

@eddynetweb said:
    lol @ your... erm... image...

You will generally have a better chance of finding a provider without the "tor node" part. Tor is great, but a lot providers don't like it due to the IP blacklisting it causes.

As non exit tor relay it wont cause any blacklisting.

• twvancetwvance Member
    edited May 2014

Use ssh dynamicforward and set firefox to use socks proxy. If you need help, feel free to msg me.

Thanked by 1eddynetweb
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@trexos What? Nope, QPS,INIZ,VirtuaClub,LES,BandwagonHost,I7,Winity.

• trexostrexos Member

@Infinity580 said:
    trexos What? Nope, QPS,INIZ,VirtuaClub,LES,BandwagonHost,I7,Winity.

I think you misunderstood me.
    If you run it as a simple tor relay and not as exit node, you wont have any ips blacklisted.

@trexos "Nearly every provider allows that as long as you don't run exit nodes." nope that what i listed up.

edited May 2014

trexos said: you wont have any ips blacklisted.

Dan's list will still list you, but as a relay. If you do not relay any traffic, just connect to the network to route your traffic only, nobody will know or list you.

• brobro Member

I'm not using tor as an exit node, I'm killing two birds with one stone and using tor, and the IP(s) I get from the VPS. I think that's what has you guys confused?

• @bro said:
    I'm not using tor as an exit node, I'm killing two birds with one stone and using tor, and the IP(s) I get from the VPS. I think that's what has you guys confused?

I'm confused. Are you saying you want the IP to appear as if you are coming from the VPS? Like Tor > VPN that is running on the VPS?

• brobro Member

@ShadowPhase said:
    I'm confused. Are you saying you want the IP to appear as if you are coming from the VPS? Like Tor > VPN that is running on the VPS?

I want to go VPS > TOR
    Then when and if the tor exit relay is blocked by one of my sites I will use the VPN's IP to browse on chrome.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Cool name, @bro.

• ShadowPhaseShadowPhase Member
    edited May 2014

@bro said:
    Then when and if the tor exit relay is blocked by one of my sites I will use the VPN's IP to browse on chrome.

Then I think you would just setup a VPN on the VPS, and connect to it and then use the Tor Browser Bundle. If the site is blocked by Tor, just use another browser like Chrome as you mentioned and it will go over the VPN connection which is your VPS. It will then appear as the connection came from the VPS (as technically it did) and mask your real IP. Many VPS providers will allow you to setup a VPN. I know you said you'd prefer Windows. However, If you would be willing to use Linux, then RamNode is great and very cheap as long as you don't use it for anything illegal. You'll find more providers for a cheaper price if you use Linux instead of Windows. It's also very easy to setup a VPN using OpenVPN on Linux.

• @twvance said:
    Use ssh dynamicforward and set firefox to use socks proxy. If you need help, feel free to msg me.

Dis'

edited May 2014

@bro check my signature, i just tagged every yearly host that allow tor relays. Just search for tor-relay

• Tor question- if you are a tor node before the exit node. Then the exit node go down for some reason- does that make your tor node an exit node now?

• @vampireJ said:
    Tor question- if you are a tor node before the exit node. Then the exit node go down for some reason- does that make your tor node an exit node now?

No, generally, trusted tor nodes are the ones that take another ones place.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

vampireJ said: Tor question- if you are a tor node before the exit node. Then the exit node go down for some reason- does that make your tor node an exit node now?

Not possible at all. Connection would be dropped or re-routed to a different exit.

• iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited May 2014

@trexos, did you say on another thread that you used an OVH box as a Tor relay or exit node? If so, does OVH care at all about it?

edited May 2014

@iceTwy said:
    trexos, did you say on another thread that you used an OVH box as a Tor relay or exit node? If so, does OVH care at all about it?

I think you should ask @rm_ about it, he is the local expert in running Tor on OVH as far as I can tell.

• trexostrexos Member

@iceTwy

Yeah, been running a tor relay on a ovh dedi for 5 months now. No problems, non exit though.