Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocation power related question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colocation power related question

raihan0888raihan0888 Member
edited May 2012 in Help

Here i see that 1amp or 120 volt power allotment.
Single Server Colocation.

But in supermicro http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/ they dont have any good server less then 600-1000 watt.

My question is here how i calculate what amount of volt or amp i need to colocate or what power option i need to look.

For this server 6017R-TDF DCO 440-480W (Platinum) Dual (QPI) Intel C602 256GB DDR3 4x 3.5" SATA

They are power config is:

Power Supply

440W/480W AC power supply with PFC
AC Voltage
100-140 V, 5.5-4 Amp 50-60 Hz
180-240 V 3.5-2.5 Amp 50-60 Hz
+5V
18 Amp
+5V Standby
3 Amp
+12V
38.8A at 100-140Vac
39.1A at 180-240Vac
+3.3V
15 Amp
Certification 80PLUS Platinum
(Cert. in

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

The PSU just means it can handle 'up to' that.

If you tell us what CPU's you want we can give you a better idea on AMP's :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1raihan0888
  • WilliamWilliam Member

Just because it has a 1KW PSU it will not use it.
    Our HP servers have 600W PSUs (2) and barely use 2A/200W under full load.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

Isn't the formula amps = watts/volts?

• WilliamWilliam Member

A = W / V
    W = A * V

• guys which portion i need to see:

dc show 1u 1amp 120v
    server provider show power supply in watt.

but where i found is it cope with datacenter mention power? :)

If you have the upfront capital then colocation is always an excellent option if you find the right DC.

Francisco

Thanked by 1raihan0888

@raihan0888 said: dc show 1u 1amp 120v

server provider show power supply in watt.

The E5's are all high watt CPU's as far as I can tell, eating an AMP just in the CPU alone.

Francisco

• @William said: A = W / V

W = A * V

so for this server what amount amp needed? :) how you calculate? from which sources you found that?

@raihan0888 said: so for this server what amount amp needed? :) how you calculate? from which sources you found that?

We still dont' know what CPU's you want in that box :) Quick glance is showing 130W per socket, but maybe that's only the super high end. So, you do:

130 / 120 = 1.08AMP's per CPU alone, nevermind the RAM/etc.

You may be better off just doing an E3 since a full E3 box is cheaper and will be just over 1AMP with 32G + a full raid10.

Francisco

Thanked by 1raihan0888
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Francisco said: The E5's are all high watt CPU's

95W is the rating on the E5-2620 compared to the 80W rating on the standard E5620, I wouldn't consider that high, .79A v .66A, and aren't there supposed to be some low power options in the future?

@miTgiB said: 95W is the rating on the E5-2620 compared to the 80W rating on the standard E5620, I wouldn't consider that high, .79A v .66A, and aren't there supposed to be some low power options in the future?

Sure, but you can get L series stuff and it's 60W :) You know better than I do that E3's are like an AMP each fully loaded.

95W doesn't leave you much wiggle room and you'd only be able to fill a single socket. Sure you could upgrade in the future but your drives will max out well before a dual E5 would.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: You may be better off just doing an E3 since a full E3 box is cheaper and will be just over 1AMP with 32G + a full raid10.

you able to share supermicro link please?.i am totally new in this section.you asking for processor truely speaking still i dont know is it embed processor with package!!!

@raihan0888 said: you able to share supermicro link please?.i am totally new in this section.you asking for processor truely speaking still i dont know is it embed processor with package!!!

I don't know if supermicro sells a super chassis thingy (@mitgib?) for the E3's or just tell people to buy a standard chassis and drop a board in.

@mitgib would know better on that one

Francisco

• raihan0888raihan0888 Member
    edited May 2012

@mitgib please... tell me something.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Francisco said: Sure you could upgrade in the future but your drives will max out well before a dual E5 would.

This is what I put my E5's into, the SAS expander is built into the backplane and with 128gb of ram onboard I am very hopeful to get a higher capacity out of it and according to my kill-a-watt I am under 2A

@miTgiB said: This is what I put my E5's into, the SAS expander is built into the backplane and with 128gb of ram onboard I am very hopeful to get a higher capacity out of it and according to my kill-a-watt I am under 2A

Are those 2.5" drives? It looks like a 2U chassis but i've not been to the eye doctor in a while :P

Francisco

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Francisco said: I don't know if supermicro sells a super chassis thingy (@mitgib?) for the E3's

They do offer several barebone E3 solutions, but I usually stay away from those and drop the board I want into the chassis I want. It's pretty rare to find a deal on a barebone that comes out cheaper than the sum of the parts with the waste left off, but it has happened.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Francisco said: Are those 2.5" drives? It looks like a 2U chassis but i've not been to the eye doctor in a while :P

3.5" 3U, I even went to all that trouble linking the image to the SuperMicro data sheet on it :(

• pcanpcan Member

Some servers have extensive power monitoring features. For example, the Dell Idrac6 Enterprise card has a complete power monitoring subsystem. To have an idea of the numbers on a real system, I have here a Dell R710 equipped with 2 Xeon E5620, 72 Gb Ram and 6 Sata drives. Each power supply is rated 870W, but the actual total power drawing at this moment is 231W or 2x 0.6 A@230V. On the last 7 days timespan, the power peak was 283W (1,5A@230V) and the minimum 225W. On a older generation server (single E5520, 36 Gb Ram, 2 disks) the total power consumption at idle is 270W.

@miTgiB said: They do offer several barebone E3 solutions, but I usually stay away from those and drop the board I want into the chassis I want. It's pretty rare to find a deal on a barebone that comes out cheaper than the sum of the parts with the waste left off, but it has happened.

Yea I've never had that since I usually pick up boards from ebay and get them for ~$100/ea on a good day :)

Francisco

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@miTgiB said: I am very hopeful to get a higher capacity out of it

My initialize/verify finally finished :)

[root@e5clt19 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.92643 s, 557 MB/s
    [root@e5clt19 ~]# 

Granted it is an empty box, and plan to run the node with Win2k8 R2 as the host OS with Hyper-V, I had to play with it for a little and I just don't care to know windows that well.

• ZiggaZigga Member

@miTgiB said: Granted it is an empty box, and plan to run the node with Win2k8 R2 as the host OS with Hyper-V, I had to play with it for a little and I just don't care to know windows that well.

Where can I sign up for some Hyper-V goodness? Pretty please?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Zigga said: Where can I sign up for some Hyper-V goodness?

I really do not expect to have this ready before next week at the earliest and it will not be LEB priced. But I will drop a note when it is ready. Very slow going getting WebSitePanel configured as I am such a Windows n00b.

Thanked by 1Zigga
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Tim, why hyper-v?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@prometeus said: Tim, why hyper-v?

For Windows, it is noticeably faster than KVM, if they wish to host linux, they can buy KVM, that, and I can charge a premium.

• DamianDamian Member

I get all confused about 2k8's licensing schema. Do you have to buy a client license from MS for every user that will be using the system?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Damian said: Do you have to buy a client license from MS for every user that will be using the system?

No, Data Center is inclusive for all VPS

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

We use the SPLA datacenter license with 2k8 on the vmware cluster and did some test on rhev (kvm with all the drivers for win) and both run very well. Should try and see if hyper-v offer some improvement on single node (on clustered environment it's a mess, worst than vmware and rhev)