Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Choosing the right VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Choosing the right VPS

Whats the most important for a LAMP setup to work fast, when it comes to choose?
We canbrowse through hundred reviews on serverbear but we are not sure of what we must set to priority level 1.. Unixbench, I/O benchmark or IOPS for a fast mysql/php?

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

You need to have a more in-depth use case. What sort of content are you serving, to how many people are you serving it, and how often does the DB get involved, that sort of thing.

• Generally speaking, for a continious consuming database application (lets say wordpress) what is most important? Until now, SSD disks was a preffered choice since it reduces query loads.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Just pick a VPS company that's high quality, established and well known. Some companies include - BuyVM, DigitalOcean, RamNode - ofc there are many more. I highly suggest BuyVM though. Excellent prices, SSD plans, great uptime & top notch network.

In regards to specifications, a 512MB RAM | 1 CPU | 10GB - 30GB HDD will suffice for a basic LAMP hosting a wordpress site.

• punkstar69 said: Generally speaking, for a continious consuming database application (lets say wordpress) what is most important? Until now, SSD disks was a preffered choice since it reduces query loads.

Are you currently experiencing issues or do you just want a new VPS to grow into? that's fine too but if you're having issues we should probably try and find your bottleneck first.

What's your current servers specs?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

if you have the money, why not buy a server with fast cpu and io. and lots of ram. fast network is important too.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

You might want to specify in more detail - e.g., what is peak traffic in terms of uniques/pages per minute.

• I have several VPS's with RamNode, and they are all running solid. The network and hardware have been very fast. Support has been magnificent. The prices are also hard to beat. They are running a deal right now where you can get 42% off using coupon code TWOYEAR.

• Thank you guys.
    Actually i run many VPS with RN too. I find them excellent too. However, i worry of what a blade hosting would be for a WP website.
    Not having a website or something, just testing WP installations.
    I recently found the combo of nginx - varnish - opcache - w3 total cache as the best results for me (after also tweaking my.cnf and php.ini for maximum results), but i do worry if there is another blade-speed setup for wordpress, or would i get better results with the same setup, on a vps with better unixbench results, or with better IOPS etc etc etc

• One thing you have to make sure is you don't fall for DD marketing trap.Just pick a decent provider & you should be fine.SSD is no needed, even normal disks would do fine if provider doesn't have a truckload of customers on the node.If you need the VPS in continent of America, I highly recommend mycustomhosting.net you can contact @MCHPhil for further details.

• @K2Bytes said:
    One thing you have to make sure is you don't fall for DD marketing trap.Just pick a decent provider & you should be fine.SSD is no needed, even normal disks would do fine if provider doesn't have a truckload of customers on the node.If you need the VPS in continent of America, I highly recommend mycustomhosting.net you can contact MCHPhil for further details.

According to my experience (at least based on Wordpress appliance) dd is not a marketing trap.

I've notice big boosts on machines with better dd mbps results.
    Also noticed big boosts from SATA to SSD.

• @punkstar69 said:
    Also noticed big boosts from SATA to SSD.

If you optimize your plugins & other stuff you'd hardly feel the difference.

• @K2Bytes said:
    If you optimize your plugins & other stuff you'd hardly feel the difference.

I guess that it has to do with mysql queries and their caching, not so much about plugins and files.
    A generally faster disk (read/write) would provide faster responses to those queries.

• @punkstar69 said:
    A generally faster disk (read/write) would provide faster responses to those queries.

If you feel SSD is more suitable to you just go with Ramnode, can't argue there :)

• I already use RN for my vms, they are pretty cool. However my worryings for opening up this thread are regarding what to consider in having a WP configuration that will work on the limits of the results. Is Unixbench/IOPS/I/O Benchmark (or a combo of all of them) the most important thing for a WP LNMP configuration?

• namhuynamhuy Member

for me, i would go with pure ssd, then caching as much as you can to ram. it will make your wordpress/database load superfast, but where are your clients base? so choose location/provider wisely

• @namhuy said:
    for me, i would go with pure ssd, then caching as much as you can to ram. it will make your wordpress/database load superfast, but where are your clients base? so choose location/provider wisely

Location is a problem, but actually, i prefer focusing on hardware rather than 10 milliseconds away. My customers are based on EU, so NL location of RN works fine for us.

• mike0000mike0000 Member
    edited May 2014

It all depends on the size of the site and what your focus is - if you're really big on speed (load times) then you'll want to start with a provider who has a good network. Take advantage of their test IPs, test downloads, etc and see how it performs. There are various ping test tools so you can check from different locations.

The next step is to figure out how to better optimize your theme & WP setup. Reduce requests, do lossless compression on images (especially theme files), etc etc. Most of the delay in page loading isn't due to the server, it's due to your theme. I had a very light theme on a shared host that would load in <500ms anywhere in N. America. Now that I have a heavier, responsive theme with lots of JS and other things being loaded externally, the average load is about 1.7s.

If you want to use varnish then you'll need a good amount of ram kicking around, depending on the size of the site. The more pages you need to cache the bigger the cache will be, the more ram you will require. More ram never hurts.

Disk I/O is important if your site has to thrash the database on every page load. Either for tracking, making a ton of requests, etc. If you did good on the caching front, using Varnish or even just caching to static HTML with W3/WPSupercache, you'll be fine with any old drives in the box. I prefer SSDs for boxes that host my higher-trafficked sites, or at least SSD read caching at the very minimum - but I have plenty of boxes (including shared hosting accounts) that are just a RAID 10 of spinning disks and they perform brilliantly.

What you'll find the more you dig into this, is that site performance has a lot more to do with how you build your sites and optimize them than how fast feature X of your host is. Think about the stack you're running, look for ways to tune Nginx, MySQL, Varnish, etc - that'll give you the best results.

Any reputable host on here will do. I can personally vouch for RamNode, VPSDime and BuyVM (recent customer). DO is great, although I feel I get more value with one of the 3 others I mentioned.

Thanked by 2punkstar69 sirmbhe