Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heartbeat Server Location
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Heartbeat Server Location

premisopremiso Member
edited May 2012 in General

I am looking to setup a heartbeat server http://www.linux-ha.org/doc/users-guide/users-guide.html more over for the failover feature (I don't get enough bandwidth to load balance). The question I am wondering is who would you guys host this with? As I want it to be on a great host with awesome uptime, since that will be the core of everything and if it goes down, my site goes down regardless of the failover.

My main server is hosted at BuyVM, I plan on having the backup server be hosted at ChicagoVPS, so those two are kind of out of the question as I would like the heartbeat to be outside of my current Data Centers. Any suggestions let me know. This is not "mission critical" persay, but I would like to have a backup plan in place as a precautionary measure.

Thanks

P.S. Right now I am thinking of a KVM from Hostigation in LA, so any uptime / downtime information from your experiences on their end would be appreciated.

Comments

• yomeroyomero Member

Btw, do you know a good tutorial about this? Or the manual is enough for that?
    I mean, the servers aren't in the same LAN and so...
    Because I have intentions to setup one of this configs but I am not very informed

• premisopremiso Member

@yomero said: Btw, do you know a good tutorial about this

I do not, I am just going to play around with it and see how it goes. If it has to be the same lan (which doesn't make much sense to me) well then I will put it off till BuyVM has some more stock.

I plan on documenting how I do it, either way, so there will be a tutorial after I am done :)

• premisopremiso Member

@yomero said: I mean, the servers aren't in the same LAN and so.

So I got some more information and yea, what I want is not really possible with a heartbeat. Looks like I will be using Pingdom's API and a DNS Cluster around the US on my 128's at various places. This will just basically switch the IP to the failover server if it is down.

• @premiso said: P.S. Right now I am thinking of a KVM from Hostigation in LA, so any uptime / downtime information from your experiences on their end would be appreciated.

Uptime is great. I think the only time the server's gone down is when I've reimaged it.

• yomeroyomero Member

@premiso said: This will just basically switch the IP to the failover server if it is down.

Yes, is the DNS idea, but isn't the pretty way.

Btw here we are talking about floating IPs
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2819/floating-ip

The only provider that I can remember with this feature seems to be Linode. And they do it with that idea in mind, load balancing + fail over.