Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

GRE tunnel keepalive functionality?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GRE tunnel keepalive functionality?

nickyzainickyzai Member, Host Rep

Hello guys,

I was setting up gre tunnel between 2 centos VPS (OpenVZ), and managed to get them up and running without any problem, even after testing here and there. But one problem, when the gre tunnel is left idle for quite some time without any traffic, the link seemed to be drop off, whereby both of the public ip and network have no issue. The gre tunnel somehow got back up connected again once I ping the remote side from one of it.

I was wondering is there any additional parameters or commands have to be set for keeping them alive? What I know so far was VPN like IPSec does have the keepalive option to have the connection stay alive, but not so sure with gre tunnel in linux...

What I did was just exactly like the guide from BuyVM (http://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/gre_tunnel), nothing much difference. Currently the solution that I can think of is running a ping script by cron, ping the remote host once every minute. Any better idea than that?? Thanks!!

Comments